Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mandates  (Read 1049 times)

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mandates
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:58:00 am »

In my last game, my broker demanded the construction of an obsidian statue in a dining hall. How do I build an obsidian statue? Do I have to just keeping dozens and dozens of statues until I get lucky and my dwarf decides to pick up the obsidian stone instead of the hundreds of others to choose?

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mandates
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 12:08:00 pm »

you can specify that they only use dark stone when building something. Only 3 types of those i think, and obsidian's common enough.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:24:00 pm »

Although granted, a lot of the production mandates are way too specific given the current interface.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »

It would be nice if you could specify what items like statues and tables and thrones were made out of. I notice that a lot of times I start off with dwarves that like the same kind of rock, and always figured a good way to increase happiness would be to make everything in the dining hall out of it.

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 02:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ussdefiant:
<STRONG>you can specify that they only use dark stone when building something. Only 3 types of those i think, and obsidian's common enough.</STRONG>

You can designate with some stuff ( craft items ), but you can't with statues

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 03:00:00 pm »

Yeah, I don't think that's unreasonable.  Controlling individual dwarves is bad, but particular tasks are fine.  The interfaces is somewhat tricky, but if it worked a little more like the jeweler's shop perhaps, it would be okay.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 03:27:00 pm »

Perhaps creating items of a specific type would be limited to the manager interface, which is searchable and thus wouldn't add too much to interface clutter.

I'm not sure how the manager interface interacts with the workshops, though, so I don't know if that would be possible.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 02:10:00 am »

You could do it to some extent, though I think I'd have to work a little harder to get them to use specific types of stone, just as far as game infrastructure goes.  Not a super hard change though.