DS
LordSlowpoke
Lovecraft
Vanaheimer
Uthric
Lordraymond
dumamisdeos

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Idea: Ultimate Fortress  (Read 40066 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Ultimate Fortress
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2012, 09:51:03 am »

He'd make a terrible ruler, but I can imagine him becoming belligerent and loud, just subduing everyone else for no particular reason by shouting and cursing and stealing the controls.

Of course this would only happen after he was ignored for a bit and his rage rose.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 13, 2012, 10:39:19 am »

We will, of course, make sure that we hear the legendary whisper of abnormal energy that he is so famed for :P.

What we see: A testament to dwarven ingenuity, where golden phalli and impaled elves adorn the halls, the finest +Kitten Tallow Roasts+ are consumed, and the grand architecture is rivaled by none.

What they see: A wall of garbled mess, and seven people talking about butchering kittens and impaled babies, and some mean guy who talks real funny is yelling at everybody about how there isn't enough of something called "dorf".
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2012, 12:33:30 pm »

We should at least make the effort to get all of us together for the first meeting of the booze addeled minds.

I agree entirely. Such a meeting would likely include [re]introductions, which will grant any observers (or later listeners, as it will be recorded) a solid frame of reference for each overseer, as well as giving each of us a decent idea of who we will be working with. Also, during the first meeting, we can each clearly define our individual goals or visions pertaining to the project, or what particular skills we bring to the table.

Even if such things are obvious (or any of us wrongly assume that they are), it will help solidify the effort and give the project focus and vision, even in a member's absence.
Hmm... As I understand it, you're suggesting perhaps 15-30 minutes where we all get to know each other a little better, before we even start the game, correct? That sounds like a good idea to me, really. And perhaps we could have somewhere we could type up a list of things we're good/bad at as well - that might speed things along. ...or we could just use this thread. I'm sure each of us has things we're not quite as good or experienced with - certain ways our fortresses tend to fall. If we know each other's weaknesses, we'll be able to keep each other from losing the fortress too early on.

The voyeur in me finds this whole ordeal very intriguing. Let’s have a wager!

Ten quid says that tempers flare within the first... let’s say five sessions, and one individual dominates all the rest. As for exactly who that individual will be, well I’m sure we all have our own opinions and I’m sure that all of those opinions are exactly the same.

I for one cannot wait for it to start, but I’m not sure whether I’m more interested in the Dwarf Fortress or the social science. I’m leaning heavily towards the latter.
You have absolutely no faith whatsoever in the human race... lol
...you're not human, are you... >.> Enh, it's fine. You hate elves and love magma. Welcome to the planet.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »

You have absolutely no faith whatsoever in the human race... lol
...you're not human, are you... >.> Enh, it's fine. You hate elves and love magma. Welcome to the planet.

Humanity is a subjective concept.

If you mean biologically human then sure I am. However if being turned against my will into an unflinching, unfeeling, remorseless, psychopathic monster is enough to revoke my status of human then so be it. Some things are out of our control.

Either way I just want to watch girlinhat beat people down for my amusement.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2012, 06:49:27 pm »

I usually don't let people know they're being beaten down while I do it.

"Hold on, gimme control for 5 minutes."
"Why?"
"Just gimme!"

And then phallus.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:14 pm »

I have a feeling this fortress will be simply littered with phalluses(? No idea on how the plural form of it is spelled.) made from various materials a few in-game years in.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 13, 2012, 06:57:39 pm »

I usually don't let people know they're being beaten down while I do it.

"Hold on, gimme control for 5 minutes."
"Why?"
"Just gimme!"

And then phallus.

Only five minutes for phallus? This must be dwarven record phallus time.

Keke, whatever happens there is no doubt in my mind that the contention between the various factions, and by factions I meant people, and by contention I means slitting each other's throats, will be entertainment.

Entertainment to the MAX.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2012, 07:08:40 pm »

-sneep-

There's a reason why it's Loud Whispers and not Loud Shouts ;p

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 13, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »

He'd make a terrible ruler, but I can imagine him becoming belligerent and loud, just subduing everyone else for no particular reason by shouting and cursing and stealing the controls.

Wait wait wait.

That sounds like every trait one WOULD look for in a dwarven ruler. I don't see the problem here.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 14, 2012, 02:58:57 am »

...but I can imagine him becoming belligerent and loud, just subduing everyone else for no particular reason by shouting and cursing and stealing the controls.

Yeah, I'm confused. Are we talking about playing dwarf fortress or gauntlet legends?  :)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 15, 2012, 05:53:42 pm »

Guys? Any updates? Please?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 15, 2012, 06:02:25 pm »

Right now we are battling to the death arguing intelligently semi-intelligently over when the first deathmatch constest part should be held. Most of us seem to be somewhere in US, but not all, and a lot of us have fickle schedules... And this makes things interesting.

in·ter·est·ing/ˈint(ə)ristiNG/
Adjective: 1. Difficult.   
2. Needing much effort or skill to accomplish, deal with, or understand.
3. Characterized by or causing hardships or problems.

But we're working on it... Sometime next week sounds like about when we'll start. No later than next Saturday, I think. (hopefully)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:05:31 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 15, 2012, 10:37:02 pm »

Right, we're in talks now. The way it currently looks is that we'll all be present for a meeting to discuss the fortress and get to know each other and what we want to contribute. This meeting will be recorded, of course, but hopefully we'll be able to have text chat available for the general forum for whoever wants to be present. After that meeting, it's just a matter of when Acetech can have the server up and running, and when any of us can be online to collaborate. I suspect that for most of the project, only a few people will be present at any given point in time, given the general incompatibility of our collective schedules.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 15, 2012, 10:40:49 pm »

Perhaps that's what runners up could do, fill in for missing main seven. Of course, as soon as one showed up the runners up would be made to leave at the nearest opportunity, but IMO it's just not interesting if only two or three overseers can be online at once and talking.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 16, 2012, 10:06:13 am »

Perhaps that's what runners up could do, fill in for missing main seven. Of course, as soon as one showed up the runners up would be made to leave at the nearest opportunity, but IMO it's just not interesting if only two or three overseers can be online at once and talking.

Two or three, I agree with you. Four or five, which is much more likely, will be just fine, I think.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]