DS
LordSlowpoke
Lovecraft
Vanaheimer
Uthric
Lordraymond
dumamisdeos

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Idea: Ultimate Fortress  (Read 40111 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Ultimate Fortress
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:29 am »

The forum is, unfortunately, full of people who presume themselves unworthy.  If dwarfdom has taught me anything, it's that "good enough" doesn't matter.  I'm nothing.  Just some chick with a keyboard, too many gold nuggets, and giant phalli on the brain.  If you think you're not good enough, then stop thinking.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2012, 09:34:42 am »

We need like, Sphalerite, NW_Kohaku, Quietust, etc.  Anyone who's done a good science thread should be eligible.

I'd be happy to participate, but I don't know when I'd be able to.  I'm going to be gone for the next week on vacation, and even after that most of April is looking busy for me.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2012, 09:36:42 am »

If we don't get the players with legendary-like status here on the forums, I might end up nominating myself.

Should the fort map/world have low or high mineral scarcity? I think scarce would make it more intresting.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2012, 09:42:05 am »

If I may nominate someone else, I'd like to make it ThatAussieDwarf. Someone who colonized Hell and made it a summer home is definetly better than "good enough".

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:15 am »

I, personally, have no idea. Something is nagging in the back of my head saying that he wouldn't be a terrific fort builder as he is too busy coding the game to actually play it like us.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:55 am »

We've never actually seen a Toady fort though.  For all we know, he's producing adamantine spires and solid steel walls that menace with spikes of elf bone and dwarven sweat.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2012, 09:54:28 am »

Or he's making OCD-hell forts and confused as to why he can't get past the aquifer.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:00 am »

Either one of the big two could be the best fortress players in existence.

Nommy nom nom nomination

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2012, 10:07:32 am »

I really want to see what toadie can do now.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2012, 10:50:03 am »

The forum is, unfortunately, full of people who presume themselves unworthy.  If dwarfdom has taught me anything, it's that "good enough" doesn't matter.  I'm nothing.  Just some chick with a keyboard, too many gold nuggets, and giant phalli on the brain.  If you think you're not good enough, then stop thinking.
Well, then, fine. :P I've only been playing since last September, but I've built megaprojects to match a lot of what I've seen on here. I prefer archers as military until I have dwarves to spare, I prefer to keep my forts running for 5-15 years, I'm a bit messy when it comes to underground architecture, I can handle keeping my dwarves fed with domesticated animals only, and I enjoy pointlessly large one-shot traps. I'll take a shot at it if anyone will nominate me. I've never successfully breached the circus (well, I did once, but it feels like cheating, as I just waited for the demons to disperse so I could attack them mano-a-mano), and I doubt anyone will vote for me, but I'll gladly take a stab at it. I hereby nominate myself. :P

If we don't get the players with legendary-like status here on the forums, I might end up nominating myself.

Should the fort map/world have low or high mineral scarcity? I think scarce would make it more intresting.
It's going to be hard enough without scarce minerals, I think... Besides, I think we already decided it would be a "normal" map, to better demonstrate to the newer player just what the elite are capable of.

I really want to see what toadie can do now.
Yeah... I'd like to see Toady upload one of his forts... If I recall correctly, though, he once said he never built forts that were that old - he played just long enough to test certain things. It'd be killer if we could get either of them into this (and the Ultimate Fortress thread, once it's started, would definitely be bound for the Hall of Legends), but I seriously doubt either of them have the time. Which is fine with me, honestly - they're pouring everything they have into making DF bigger and better. I'm all for it.

Or he's making OCD-hell forts and confused as to why he can't get past the aquifer.
He designed the aquifer... lol    There's no way he hasn't gotten past it at some point. He would've had to test it to make sure it wasn't impossible to get past, anyway, right? It's more than likely he devised strategies to get past them before anyone else even had access to them.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2012, 10:52:16 am »

He has his squirrel person to test stuff aswell!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2012, 10:58:17 am »

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2012, 11:00:54 am »

I doubt anyone will vote for me, but I'll gladly take a stab at it. I hereby nominate myself. :P

I vote for you. Fuckberries, with the evident lack of confidence around here you can have that for going against the grain. I hate the grain.

This should be interesting if it ever gets off the ground though, I can just imagine seven voices screaming at each other in disagreement and suddenly silenced, whilst certain larger-than-life figures end up pretty much taking charge of the whole project, pushing everyone else’s opinions to the side. And the resentment will brew and brew until... flashpoint! Somebody snaps, tempers are flared, voices are raised... chaos abounds!

I have to make sure that I’m watching when that happens, Armok damn I love animosity; it's the most glorious thing in the world. I couldn't do it myself; I'd explode on people just for not having colour-matched furniture. What’s that, you want to know if using Microcline in the dining room is acceptable? Well how about I kill you in your sleep, is that acceptable?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:03:11 am by KodKod »
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2012, 11:06:14 am »

An all star fort would be great, but I think it'd be hard to get 7 "celebrity" DF players. You'd probably be better off just getting whoever has time.

How does DF therapist work with dfterm if at all? Can the host run it? I admit I find the game virtually unplayable without it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:06 am »

It doesn't work with DFTerm, but if the host is setting up a remote desktop of some sort, that would be different.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18