DS
LordSlowpoke
Lovecraft
Vanaheimer
Uthric
Lordraymond
dumamisdeos

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Idea: Ultimate Fortress  (Read 40096 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Ultimate Fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »

I think the main objective would be to capture it, mainly on video, and then later edit and narrate it for what's going on.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 09:17:58 pm »

We could play the succession game on the server, that way people wouldn't have to fuss around with their own stream/recording stuff.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 09:20:04 pm »

Expanding on some of the ideas already presented, such as dwarfing and struggles between players, how about this:

Every player gets to name a dwarf after themselves upon playing. The next person along in the rota must keep that dwarf alive no matter what happens during their turn, but the more suffering you can put that dwarf through the better.

Eventually if this ended up being some kind of rotation based game we could build up quite the few grudges and see elaborate projects developing just to get back at the player who exposed you to the kitten-rot and kept you hospitalised for the better part of a year.

A lot of succession games end up with players inflicting all kinds of fun on previous overseers, so I am sure it could work here.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 09:21:36 pm »

As I stated on another thread: I approve of this idea.

As to the goal: make the biggest, messiest fort as possible. A time limit may or may not be implemented.

FAKEEDIT: I also support KodKod's idea in the reply posted as I was typing this.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 09:22:13 pm »

10 players... sharing a world...

You will all die of anger fits before the dwarves do.

AHH MAH GAAWD ITS MAAAI TURN..
Nup u wuz 2 slow
AAAHHHH I'MA BERSERK TANTRUM SPIRAL YOU IRL
U GUNNA KILL YOUR FAMILY AND SHIT YOURSELF TO DEATH.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 09:22:51 pm »

You will all die of mad laughter before the dwarves do.
FTFY
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 09:23:15 pm »

Now THAT is a fun idea. Manageable yet dwarfy. minus dwarf points if you you kill the player, thus forcing you to adopt a save from before the kill. Bonus points awarded based on negative thoughts achieved on the target player.

Perhaps a scrambling system so it isn't just always against the player before you in the rot.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 09:26:58 pm »

I would be willing to host, but I only really know how to get a rip roaring industrial base going.

Military insanity was never my strongpoint.

My server is clockcycles wise quite meaty, but my ISP is girlier than a cheerleader convention. :(

They seriously limit my upload pipe.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 09:27:12 pm »

You will all die of anger fits before the dwarves do.

-odd berserk text snip-
7, not 10, now. And that's precisely the idea. You don't get at the dwarves, you get at the players controlling the dwarves, through the dwarves. That's epic.

Oh, and how about this: if something goes horribly wrong and everyone decides it's your fault, you're out.

Expanding on some of the ideas already presented, such as dwarfing and struggles between players, how about this:

Every player gets to name a dwarf after themselves upon playing. The next person along in the rota must keep that dwarf alive no matter what happens during their turn, but the more suffering you can put that dwarf through the better.

Eventually if this ended up being some kind of rotation based game we could build up quite the few grudges and see elaborate projects developing just to get back at the player who exposed you to the kitten-rot and kept you hospitalised for the better part of a year.

A lot of succession games end up with players inflicting all kinds of fun on previous overseers, so I am sure it could work here.

That sounds like a reverse of a lot of different games I've heard of, namely the "screw the next player over" theme. Nice idea, I kind of like it... though I'd honestly prefer the madness of a 7-overseer fortress. :P

edit: Either way, I can't take a turn - I don't have a good enough connection for it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:29:01 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:53 pm »

Another edit of the OP. Check it out.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »

This devolved from the best fort ever, with a goal of it being a showcase of how the finest DF minds go about working their magic, to a fancy PvP game. The original idea was great, and the fancy PvP idea isn't even close to the same thing. If you're going to do fancy PvP, do it, but the original idea sounds way more interesting.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 09:32:38 pm »

This devolved from the best fort ever, with a goal of it being a showcase of how the finest DF minds go about working their magic, to a fancy PvP game. The original idea was great, and the fancy PvP idea isn't even close to the same thing. If you're going to do fancy PvP, do it, but the original idea sounds way more interesting.

I honestly agree, but was trying to be open to other ideas.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 09:32:46 pm »

We need to find who has the best upload speed, and who has the beefiest rig.

The one of us with the best of bith worlds should host the dfterm daemon.

I have an i7 running linux with a beefy nvidia gpu, but my server is laggy because my ISP cripples my upload.  Everyone considering doing the hosting gig should do the internet speed test thing, and post your upload speed.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:17 pm »

Why can't it be both? A year can be a long time in dwarfdom, more than enough time to pull off an fancy fortress with an interesting challenge behind it. I don't want to see a fortress dedicated to some kind of PvP either, just to give players a little extra challenge to cope with for the sake of fun, as you often see in the more interesting succession forts.

Like bonus points, for being a terrible person.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »

Who says we can't do both? Possibly first the showcase of the magic of the greatest DF minds, and then the PvP. The showcase first would allow them to get to know each other's weaknesses, and give them a chance to plot each other's downfalls...

I honestly agree, but was trying to be open to other ideas.

Eh, I'd kind of like the first one too. =P If we could download the save afterwards, it would be epic. I'd like to see people manage to grow strawberries in HFS (somehow the possibility of doing it directly under a spire escaped my mind)... No mods, nothing special. Just seven dwarves against the world... And against hell.

But the idea of the greatest minds working to defeat each other with sheer dwarfy brilliancy appeals to me, too. :P

EDIT: Ninja'd. Apparently KodKod thinks like I do, just faster. :-\
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18