Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 440762 times)

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #390 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:41 pm »

Ahh! Somebody that almot subscribes to my own philosophy!

Tell me, did it ever occur to you that because you do exist now, that your eternal timeless existence is garanteed, due to the local quantum state collapse?  (That removing you from existence would result in a universe ending paradox?)

:D

Actually, I've always perceived that the relationships all things share preserve cognition, or at least bare existence. All information in the Universe is recorded in interactions on the most basic level (or should it be called the highest level?), in such forms as quantum strings or neural entanglement or even simple perceptions of temporal measurement. When I die, (I think) I'll become diffuse in the collective body of all information recorded on the fabric of the Universe itself, existing in a state external (or perhaps as a universal component of) everything that happens.

Again, it doesn't really matter to me; death is imminent to all things, and the serenity to accept it comes easily.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 06, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »

CoraiUnki has been possessed.......

I NEED SLADE

I NEED DWARVEN LEATHER

I NEED PLATINUM

I NEED LIQUID FIRE

Stop asking for platinum, osmium is far superior.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »

HugoLuman withdraws from society...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 06, 2012, 10:29:29 pm »

CoraiUnki has been possessed.......

I NEED SLADE

I NEED DWARVEN LEATHER

I NEED PLATINUM

I NEED LIQUID FIRE

Stop asking for platinum, osmium is far superior.

This is Vesen the Eternal hatred! It is a Slade 2h sword! It menaces with spikes of platinum! Liquid fire coats the exterior! On the side is a image describing the rise of KodKod above the Kobolds! She is striking down the kobolds!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 06, 2012, 10:31:08 pm »

ubersnip
Wow, this thread just got serious.

Okay, I second just about everything you said there... And I mean that in all seriousness now. When I want to have fun, I don't use women either... I can even use my tumblr as proof. It's all non-sexual romantic poetry I've written... which has also gotten my sexuality questioned.

I wouldn't say "vicious wild animal", though... I would say the respect I have is more the respect a man ought to have for a woman. In my humble opinion, at least.

If I offended you, or KodKod, with my jests, I sincerely apologize. I didn't quite comprehend the fact that the atmosphere had grown more serious in nature. I was simply engaging in what I thought to be - and what I'd assumed you thought was - entertaining verbal sparring.

And now to re-rail the thread... For a megaproject, I would build a tower. A big one. with a rollered track leading up to the top. And then... Then... Minecarts would be invented, and I would send an elf to the moon. Or myself. It would be fun. Provided I had a lake to land in.

@Corai who ninja'd me: The last image on that lies... the sword shouldn't have been able to be constructed if KodKod killed all her kobolds. :P
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:36:26 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:27 pm »

A woman's fury is never an idle matter.  Best to remember that. Always. :D

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 06, 2012, 10:36:31 pm »

This is [UNUTTERABLE] the rapes of mind, a plutonium piccolo. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is adorned with hanging rings of platinum and plutonium and menaces with spikes of dwarf bone, kobold bone, goblin bone, elf bone, human bone, and dog bone. On the item is an image of elves and kittens in dwarf blood. The kittens are laughing. The elves are laughing. On the item is an image of dwarves and kittens in pitchblende. The kittens are laughing. The dwarves are crying. On the item is an image of [UNUTTERABLE] the rapes of mind in plutonium and dwarves. [UNUTTERABLE] the rapes of mind is crying. The dwarves are melting.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 06, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »

If I offended you, or KodKod, with my jests, I sincerely apologize.

Oh don't worry, you didn't offend me. It's just that attempting to describe "woman scorned" in words is like trying to describe "extinction-level catastrophe". No matter what you do there's no disguising the fact that it's an utterly terrible thing beyond all rational proportion.

"Viscious wild animal" is probably right, funnily enough. There are a lot of domestic cats these days, but there are plenty of leopardesses stalking amidst the night, and all beasts are savage at heart if you back them into a corner.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 06, 2012, 11:13:05 pm »

You didn't offend me either.  I am not easily offended by anything besides callous disregard and willfull stupidity.  (Neither of which you exhibited.)

I just felt I needed to explain exactly where I was coming from on the issue, as its an angle not normally expected from my gender. (Or at least that has been my experience on the matter.)

Sorry for the poetic allegories. Poetry is about the closest match for what could distill even the faintest vapor of what a woman's rage is, in word form. (And that is an poor vessel indeed.)

I know what it is. I would be a thrice damned fool to ever invoke it! LOL!

Best advice I could ever give to another man?  Don't idolize your woman, but don't mistreat her either. Imagine her with warts and puss in you mind for a moment, reflct upon all her dirty habbits and mannerisms, and ask if you could love her,even then.  If you cannot, then you have no business wooing her. Love the woman. Be yourself. If these cannot be met, you will not find contentment. Don't lie to yourself, and for god's sake, don't lie to her.

:)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 07, 2012, 12:46:38 am »

history is rife with inequality between the sexes.  however, we are supposed to live in an enlightened era.  isnt the ideal now that your gender gets you no special treatment?

a man is perfectly capable of feeling the same emotions, and executing the described actions.  perhaps it has been worse, historically, with the man in the scorned position, considering the power men have wielded in western society.

but yea, equality means no discrimination, but equality also means no special treatment.

sometimes i wonder how much is my own natural opinion, and how much is the combat arms brainwashing talking.  the damnedest thing that brainwashing is.  despite being aware that i was being conditioned, the conditioning stuck, and has been with me for years after i got out of the service.  isnt the common knowledge that being aware of such a "mind control" program prevents it from working?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 07, 2012, 01:18:06 am »

Yes,
No,
And no. :D

Yes, we are supposed to live in an enlightened age, where gender equality is supposed to reign.
No, a man's indignation is nowhere near as vicious as a woman's. A man will blow up, be angry, and vent it all out.  A woman will blow up, be angry, vent, then hold endless unrelenting grudges and vengeful action until the day she dies.

No, knowing about the brainwashing only enables you to attempt to defeat and overcome it. It does not imply immunity.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 07, 2012, 01:28:41 am »

Honestly, I always had it the opposite of what supposedly is typical. I would find someone, I'd start to fall for her (and supposedly she for me), and just as I really, really cared about her, she'd say, "nope" and run off with some other guy, leaving me in the dust. Hurts like anything, too.

wierd: Actually, no. Mentally, a man is just as capable at holding grudges as women are. And capable of getting just as angry. Traditionally, they were always the gender screwing the other gender over (figuratively speaking), and thus the phrase came to be. I studied neurology and psychology for a while. Any differences between men's and women's mental attitudes/tendencies/personalities are completely from "specialized treatment" upbringing (which I actually in part support). A good example of this (the lack of upbringing by gender) is "tomboys" - women who "act like men". The specialized treatment is rapidly disappearing as we move forwards. Which stinks, somewhat - the true gentlemen are disappearing as well, and it's partially because of society. I've actually been accused of being sexist by simply holding the door open for someone, though that was several years ago.

RAKninja - I'm going to guess that's yourself. Brainwashing typically disappears after being in familiar settings, around people you know.

Also, this is all horribly, horribly off-topic...

EDIT: unless we're discussing potential discussions within the fortress.
in which case this is still horribly off topic.

EDITEDIT:
If I offended you, or KodKod, with my jests, I sincerely apologize.

Oh don't worry, you didn't offend me. It's just that attempting to describe "woman scorned" in words is like trying to describe "extinction-level catastrophe". No matter what you do there's no disguising the fact that it's an utterly terrible thing beyond all rational proportion.

"Viscious wild animal" is probably right, funnily enough. There are a lot of domestic cats these days, but there are plenty of leopardesses stalking amidst the night, and all beasts are savage at heart if you back them into a corner.
I'm glad I didn't offend. I worry I do.  But I still wouldn't say "animal"... it just sounds wrong to me to call a woman an "animal", I don't know...

Missed that before.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:58:17 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #402 on: April 07, 2012, 02:02:42 am »

Yes,
No,
And no. :D

Yes, we are supposed to live in an enlightened age, where gender equality is supposed to reign.
No, a man's indignation is nowhere near as vicious as a woman's. A man will blow up, be angry, and vent it all out.  A woman will blow up, be angry, vent, then hold endless unrelenting grudges and vengeful action until the day she dies.

No, knowing about the brainwashing only enables you to attempt to defeat and overcome it. It does not imply immunity.

Gah, just no, no, no. The biggest hurdle in pretty much any relationship I've been in has been getting over my own grudges and temperament. In fact, I find that women, in general, are more reasonable about such things (this is anecdotal, but whatever, I have nothing else to work with, so). Of course it's not ALWAYS the case, and I've been in a fair share of situations in which both parties (or just the girl) were being the bigger arse, but for the most part I'm usually the one who has to actively remind myself not to hold petty grudges and be pissy just for the sake of being pissy.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 07, 2012, 02:11:48 am »

its frightening how similar the mindset of how similar someone "rescued from a cult" and a veteran are.  they admit they tear us down and rebuild us.  hell, most cults get their brainwashing techniques straight from TRADOC.  they tell us it enables us to survive, and this is true, but they dont often tell us about how it will affect your life afterward.  it is amazing how brief a period of time is needed to change the way you think and react for the rest of your life.  or, at least, untill something serious can be done to undo it.

my brief military career has changed me profoundly.  the terrain or weather can profoundly unease me.  as do large groups of people.  you'll note the double use of "profound", as i cannot adequately express the sensation.   to this day, if i hear the right kind of siren, i'll be up and moving before i realize where i'm going.

i got out of the service six years ago now.

Talvieno:

if you've been simulating conversations in fort mode, you've been discussing gender equality with a goblin master thief.  assuming this discussion was taking place in a meeting hall, and leaving the forum is somewhat akin to leaving the map....

A CHILD HAS BEEN ABDUCTED!

Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 07, 2012, 02:17:36 am »

Quite right about being off topic, but I strongly disagree about innate behavior. Just how much is cultural vs biological is a raging debate in psychology that I don't want anything to do with it.

(I would expect that a great deal is cultural. It has been my experience that most "girls" my age (I reserve the word women for mentally mature individuals) innately despise the fact that I am completely immune to the "female toolkit". The concept that I don't find them attractive, and am also not gay, is taken to immediately be a personal insult against their desirability, comparable to calling them a horsefaced nag to their face. As such, my estimation that women are more vindictive than men could just be observer bias, however I find that "women scorned" often results in more external support amongst women than the inverse does among men.)

As for the on-topic discussion... already said what I would do. :)  find myself a nice quiet little hill a few miles away from the fortress, with a fresh water supply, good vegetation, and abundant animal life.  Wait for the bloodletting to pass, then reup my civic connections once the madness ended.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 214