Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Let's play Pokemon Red without a pokemon centre! [On Hold]  (Read 7957 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got it working again, and the next update is on its way. I don't have enough names in the bank, so I'll be using the names of those who posted in this thread.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did 1st Gen support long/two part names? Having Jean Arthur in the mix would be nice. Failing that, Bob.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did 1st Gen support long/two part names? Having Jean Arthur in the mix would be nice. Failing that, Bob.
It does, but it uses the space as a character, so  Jean Arthur would be too long.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Update II: The Big Grind

Spoiler: Update (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: About the update (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Sure, get Meatshield to evolve. If I remember correctly, Charizard is one of the top Pokemon in the game in terms of attack power, and Charmeleon is pretty up there as well.

And unless there's some other Pokemon along the way that is strong against water-type, get that Pikachu. Meatshield would be annihilated by Misty.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure, get Meatshield to evolve. If I remember correctly, Charizard is one of the top Pokemon in the game in terms of attack power, and Charmeleon is pretty up there as well.

And unless there's some other Pokemon along the way that is strong against water-type, get that Pikachu. Meatshield would be annihilated by Misty.
The only other one we can get that's effective against water types is an oddish, which we can't get until after nugget bridge.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

I'll submit my name for this bank even as I post to watch!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

The only other one we can get that's effective against water types is an oddish, which we can't get until after nugget bridge.
What kind of pokemon do the Nugget Bridge trainers use? Bug and grass-types, right? Meatshield should be able to deal with them, and then we get an Oddish and an Eevee from Bill!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, posting to watch. There are an awful lot of Nuzlocke runs out there - it's nice to see a Pokemon challenge that's different!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What kind of pokemon do the Nugget Bridge trainers use? Bug and grass-types, right? Meatshield should be able to deal with them, and then we get an Oddish and an Eevee from Bill!
The nugget bridge trainers use a mixture of pokemon, though mostly normal type. They're mostly level 14-15, with a single level 18 Mankey.

The most dangerous one is the rival battle that happens just before nugget bridge. The rival has Lv.17 squirtle, Lv.18 pidgeotto and Lv.15 rattata. He also had a lv.15 abra, but that's not going to be much danger.

Misty's pokemon are level 18 and 21, and so are probably going to be tackled quite a bit later.

Also, we don't get the eevee from Bill in Red. We have to wait until Celadon city.

Right now, healing is really at a premium. Each potion costs 300 pokedollars, and we only have 2195, of which I'll have to use about 1000 for pokeballs. Beating brock will net us about 1300, and also bide which can be sold for about 1000. We have a stock of 4 potions, which will have to be rationed carefully

I'll be starting on the next part shortly. Plans for the next part:
-Capture a couple more spearows to get Meatshield up to level 16 and evolution
-Take out all mandatory trainers between pewter city and mt. moon with meatshield
-Get some more pokemon on route 3, catch a pikachu in Viridian forest, and grind that pikachu up to level 16 (quick attack). The pikachu will be evolved as soon as I can get my hands on a thunder stone.

Longer term plans:
-Go through mt. moon, picking up all items (most importantly water gun tm)
-When arriving at route 4, capture a lv.12 rattata
-teach rattata water gun, and return to mt. moon to take out a couple rock-using trainers (for easy money and experience)
-Proceed to Cerulean city and try to level up rattata to level 14 (hyper fang)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

Are you sure you want to sell TMs instead of using them to give more PP to high level pokemon?

Bide can be used offensively so it is far from useless.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you sure you want to sell TMs instead of using them to give more PP to high level pokemon?

Bide can be used offensively so it is far from useless.
Some TMs will be sold, some will be used. Bide can be used offensively, bit it requires you to take damage. Since healing is very expensive for us, bide effectively costs us a lot of money whenever we try to use it. Selling it, on the other hand, nets us a lot of money.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Update III: Brocking On
Spoiler: Update (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: About the update (click to show/hide)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

Ha. I guess I was lucky to be the first to break the long series of nicknamed Spearows.

Catch and keep a Geodude or Onyx to use against Lt. Surge.

Suggesting what fossil to choose would require a lot of thinking ahead. I think you should choose at your discretion as I don't really know which will be more useful by the time you get to resurrect them or whether they will be useful at all.

I suggest you just give your filler pokemon numbers for names.

Name suggestions:

Fodder #
Filler #
Spam #

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ha. I guess I was lucky to be the first to break the long series of nicknamed Spearows.

Catch and keep a Geodude or Onyx to use against Lt. Surge.

Suggesting what fossil to choose would require a lot of thinking ahead. I think you should choose at your discretion as I don't really know which will be more useful by the time you get to resurrect them or whether they will be useful at all.

I suggest you just give your filler pokemon numbers for names.

Name suggestions:

Fodder #
Filler #
Spam #
Before fighting Lt. Surge, it's possible to go into Diglett cave and capture a level 31 Dugtrio. That dugtrio wil be very useful. not only coming in at a high level but also having some very powerful techniques (such as dig) and being immune to electric attacks. However, rock types have absurdly high defense and are resistant to normal attacks, which will make them useful against some of the normal types that are around during and after nugget bridge.

As for naming the pokemon, I'm currently using the names of people who have posted in this thread whenever I need one and don't have one to hand. When that runs out, I'm going to use random name generators. I'm not fond of just numbering them very much.

Incidentally, there's no limit on how many names one can put forward, or what they can be (other than the length limit).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5