Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Absurdly deep magma  (Read 8855 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Absurdly deep magma
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »

You just gave me a great idea for my next embark. Find a perfectly flat site. channel out a ring 1 tile wide, and 1 tile from the edge of the map on the surface and fill it with magma. Then make a 3 wide bridge on one spot for the caravan to arrive on. Concentrate your defenses on that spot and live in comfort that you will never be ambushed again.

Until the goblin general who happens to be a steel scorpion that can breath fire stops by.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »

I had magma one hundred and fifty-freaking-seven levels beneath me once.

90 aint shit.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:32:37 am »

You just gave me a great idea for my next embark. Find a perfectly flat site. channel out a ring 1 tile wide, and 1 tile from the edge of the map on the surface and fill it with magma. Then make a 3 wide bridge on one spot for the caravan to arrive on. Concentrate your defenses on that spot and live in comfort that you will never be ambushed again.

Until the goblin general who happens to be a steel scorpion that can breath fire stops by.
who can fly or is mounted on something that flies. 

and dont forget the giant three eyed fly who shoots webs emerging from below.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 03:41:47 am »

Try a top-to-bottom pumpstack, if Nil is correct, that would be lagless.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 04:58:22 am »

I don't understand what the hell you do with hundred z levels. My worlds' always have less than 15 levels of ground

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 05:14:46 am »

I don't understand what the hell you do with hundred z levels. My worlds' always have less than 15 levels of ground
At the top, a trapdoor.  At the bottom, a ...... bottom.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 07:00:13 am »

Turns out my original z-level figures were inaccurate, because I was just pulling from memory.  After looking at my fort again last night, I found out that the magma is actually 115 levels down.

Anyway, my embark is a good-aligned sand desert, with a little bit of a neutral savanna on the south edge.  Oddly, the desert gets a lot of rain, while the savanna hardly gets any.  My desert also has a river that runs south-north, which is why I'm building my giant pyramid.  It's going to take a long time; I'll need more than 1500 bronze bars.  Fortunately, I have tons of ore.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 07:46:03 am »

this has been an effective strategy since 40d, and just as effective without magma, so it can be done by summer of year 1
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 07:48:07 am »

imo siegers should come with a builder that can place a ramp or a bridge, Just to make things... interesting.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 07:49:56 am »

I've had alternating 5 tile long walls and traps surrounding the map for ages.

Ambush? You mean that thing that occasionally gunks up the traps that gives my idlers something to do?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 07:50:26 am »

imo siegers should come with a builder that can place a ramp or a bridge, Just to make things... interesting.

Thay may happen during the army arc.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:15 pm »

I can't wait for siegers to cause more trouble, but I would like to be able to build a walled in basement or some such they cannot breach were I can store food, and have an emergency barracks, they come in wreck the fort, leave with the spoils, I un-borrow etc... Let them eat the traps in my hall way and it would give me a reason to fortify artifacts etc... heck through a few levers in the "safe room" for !FUN! like obsidianizing doomsday devices... Although I think its been shown that a simple and effective military will take care of this without intense fortifications. It would be nice if you could still turtle up your base deep down by cavern 1, 2, or 3 and have it "too far" for the seigers to really get to, notice or bother with digging/constructing too. Simple siege ladders for walls/bridging ditches would be a great start.

I've had alternating 5 tile long walls and traps surrounding the map for ages.

Ambush? You mean that thing that occasionally gunks up the traps that gives my idlers something to do?

I personally think this is a cheese tactic, I would rather loose a fort to a siege then take this way out, but I do think its perfectly fine to build elaborate mazes, and multiple airlocks. Or wall off a smaller section of the map. Like 3/4s... Although I think it should be left the way it is anyway for people who like to play at their own pace.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:23:31 pm by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 12:23:44 pm »

There might be an improvement, but I don't think it'd be lagless.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 12:28:24 pm »

There might be an improvement, but I don't think it'd be lagless.

"Top-to-bottom?"  What's that?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 12:34:31 pm »

Top-to-bottom means build the topmost screw pump, then the screw pump immediately underneath, etc, with the lowest screw pump built last.  Doing it this way moves the fluid in a single tick (as opposed to bottom-to-top, which moves it 1 z-level per tick).  It MIGHT reduce the number of temperature calculations-- but that three-cell design definitely DOES reduce the number of temperature calculations (to basically zero, I believe).
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3