Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Absurdly deep magma  (Read 8853 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Absurdly deep magma
« on: April 04, 2012, 02:48:14 pm »

The surface of my fort is around z-level 100.  After getting everything on the surface to the way I like it, I began digging for magma.  Bizarrely, I managed to dig a 2x2 staircase down to level -8 without hitting anything, until I finally got a warm stone announcement, which I guessed was the magma sea.  I went up a few levels, to around level 10, and finally breached a cavern.  After a bit of exploring, I located the magma pipe.

The magma is almost 90 levels below my fortress proper.  Is this normal?  More importantly, what would be the most efficient way to bring it to the surface?  I'm no stranger to pump stacks, but I'd prefer a way that isn't going to be so time-consuming.  The magma piston is a possibility, but the ideal would be to have access to a constantly-replenishing supply, without all the hassle that a piston would be.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Absurdly deep magma
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »

PTW. I wonder why this is too. :(
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:52:38 pm »

Mine is routinely that low. Is it not normal?
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »

Magma at z-100? This is what most people would consider normal, or even "near surface magma." z-200 would be abnormal. As for getting magma to the surface, you already know the only two ways to do it. Sorry. If you invent something better, let us know.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »

My fortress is around z100, my magma is at z-100. Normal.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 02:58:44 pm »

90 levels below your fortress isn't unusual.

I don't know why you feel the need to bring it to your fortress-- one option, always available, is just to bring your fortress to it.  Almost anything you can do close to the surface, you can do further down.

If you feel like it, you can always hack some in.  If not, I'd be surprised if you found a piston easier to use than a pump stack, especially for a replenishing supply.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 03:15:47 pm »

With unmodified cave size, 90 Z-levels worth of digging sounds about normal to hit magma and candy for me. I've only found a magma tube in the first layer once, and a couple times in the second, with the vast majority of embarks having it on such depths as those you describe.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 03:19:42 pm »

word, i have 3 caverns and 50-100 openness, its almost always at -60 below the lowest surface (outside) tiles, so 90 would seem strange to me, unless I was embarked almost exclusively on a mountain, then I can see it being as far as -100-140
I voted for BANANA!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:37:54 pm »

And magma pipes tend to extend all the way to the magma sea, so no issues there either. Throw an animal/Dwarf down it just to be sure

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:02:22 pm »

And magma pipes tend to extend all the way to the magma sea, so no issues there either. Throw an animal/Dwarf down it just to be sure

they always extend to the magma sea, the question is how far they extend up.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »

I want to bring it to the surface mainly so that I can have it flowing down the sides of my giant bronze pyramid.  If a pump stack is the only way to do that, so be it.
I'm not used to finding magma quite so deep, though I can't say for certain where I normally find it.  It's possible that I'm just perceiving it as deeper because I didn't run into any caverns on the way down.  I seriously have a 100-level staircase that runs uninterrupted from my fortress to the magma sea.
Anyway, thanks for the quick answers.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 05:15:12 pm »

I've had magma tubes (pits? pools?) in the first cave layer quite often. Not sure what causes that.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 06:25:59 pm »

I like embarking onto surface volcanoes.

It's by far the best thing ever.

Magma moat for the fort!

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 06:34:37 pm »

I think that happens when embarking on mountains, because there's obviously more rock between the surface and the magma sea. All of my plains embarks have had magma 50-60 levels at most below the surface.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 07:52:03 pm »

You just gave me a great idea for my next embark. Find a perfectly flat site. channel out a ring 1 tile wide, and 1 tile from the edge of the map on the surface and fill it with magma. Then make a 3 wide bridge on one spot for the caravan to arrive on. Concentrate your defenses on that spot and live in comfort that you will never be ambushed again.
Pages: [1] 2 3