Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How the goblins are rescuing Silvertemple  (Read 1353 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
How the goblins are rescuing Silvertemple
« on: April 04, 2012, 01:00:26 pm »

Silvertemple is practically impregnable. A winding staircase carved into the vertical cliff at a great waterfall with fortifications on the other side of the brook to allow marksdwarves to pepper invaders and cause them to fall 7-10 z-levels to their gory deaths on the rocks below. When a goblin ambush appeared, killing a woodcutter, I had no worries about sending the militia of 18 competent dwarves to the surface to deal with it. In the unlikely event of failure I would simply wait for them by the waterfall and take them out as they tried to get to the entrance hall. In the middle of the ensuing fight (which saw several goblins toppling over the edge of the cliff to explode against the rocks below) the walking dead appear. Not ten. Not twenty. More than a hundred of them. I had about the same number of dwarves, but the vast majority of those were in no state to fight the undead horde. I desperately pull everyone inside, abandoning two recruits and a gnarled militia commander to distract them as some fisherdwarves got to safety.

For a year the zombies have been sitting at the surface. Waiting.
For a year Silvertemple has slaved over the magmaforges, churning out maces, hammers and armour to equip the remaining population for the liberation.

But recently the goblins have come back in numbers. Ambush after ambush is being sprung at the surface; brave goblin archers giving up their lives to take out the undead. And they are winning. Little by little, their numbers are dwindling. Only about 30 of the abominations remain and I now stand a chance.

Everything I thought I knew is being overturned. I'm not sure I can go back to goblinslaying as a passtime now...
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: How the goblins are rescuing Silvertemple
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 01:17:11 pm »

Where is the source of the undead?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:35:48 pm »

Where is the source of the undead?
Sounds like a tower siege, and thus, not contagious.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 01:37:20 pm »

That's not my concern, I'm looking for Necro's

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 01:39:01 pm »

Im gonna free my goblin prisoners now.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:43:52 pm »

On the thought of that, where is Necro910? I haven't heard from him in a long time.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:45:30 pm »

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 01:57:21 pm »

It's a Tower Siege. None of the dead in the field are rising, so I assume there aren't any.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »

Zombies with no necromancer support aren't that tough. If the goblins have reduced the numbers down to 30 and you have a similar-sized militia with full armor then now would be the time to go out there and recover the corpses before the necromancers come back.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.