Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51927 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2013, 03:11:23 pm »

You don't run the game on a server at this point. It might be modded to persistent world/live GM status like NWN did, but not at this point.

NWN was actually designed with this in mind from the beginning.  If they have not layed the foundation for multiplayer or persistent worlds, it is fairly unlikely that they'll be able to add those features until they do a sequel.

It sounds like the planned multiplayer aspect was being able to import your friends characters, and hire them as NPCs in your own single player game.  It seems reasonable to expect that the planned expansion might add this feature, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything like NWN multiplayer.

On the other hand, there seems to be a healthy dose of custom missions / campaigns already, and the game isn't even out yet.  So it sounds like there is plenty of "make missions for your buddies" stuff and there should be a good stream of single player content to extend the gameplay into many more hours.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2013, 03:53:48 pm »

I've heard that one thing people can't do with the editor is add assets. Which to me hamstrings the mod capabilities of the game to a significant degree. Sure, you can get different layouts and tweak some stats...but the best mods have always been one the ones that can extend the capabilities of the engine beyond what was originally implemented. New assets, rules, scripting, ect... I'm not saying that can't happen for SRR....but after a few custom campaigns, I don't know how much they are really going to compensate for the fact the game was made in a year and a half. Following text trees and getting ambushed will get old eventually. I get they're really about the Shadowrun stories and the editor definitely enables that....but if they want the viral success of a Bethesda project, where the mod community truly takes off, enough of the game has to be exposed to entice them.

Then again people were so passionate about Bethesda games, they wrote side-by-side applications to make better things possible. So who knows.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:56:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2013, 04:15:16 pm »

The second I heard the game was 12 hours long I sort of put it off of my wishlist.
It by no means isn't worth its price for 12 hours, nor is it any worse for being 12 hours.
It is just a bit short for a game of its type.
And everything I've heard, this included, put it's ON mine. I find conciseness an incredible virtue in video games, RPGs especially, what their tendency to use grind and padding in the place of quality. And I don't really want to have a game be the only game I play for the next 2-3 months in order to finish it, which is what a 30 or 40 hour game means.

Every hour I spend on a game to extract what's inside is an hour I could have been doing something else. And 12 hours is more than enough time to tell a great story or create an engaging experience.

So the only question left is - does it? Is the default campaign pretty good?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2013, 06:50:23 pm »

The second I heard the game was 12 hours long I sort of put it off of my wishlist.
It by no means isn't worth its price for 12 hours, nor is it any worse for being 12 hours.
It is just a bit short for a game of its type.
And everything I've heard, this included, put it's ON mine. I find conciseness an incredible virtue in video games, RPGs especially, what their tendency to use grind and padding in the place of quality. And I don't really want to have a game be the only game I play for the next 2-3 months in order to finish it, which is what a 30 or 40 hour game means.

Every hour I spend on a game to extract what's inside is an hour I could have been doing something else. And 12 hours is more than enough time to tell a great story or create an engaging experience.

So the only question left is - does it? Is the default campaign pretty good?

I only played about 45 mins of the actual campaign. The rest of the time I was just looking around, trying to get a feel for stuff. It actually, looks, feels and sounds like I thought the sprawl would be. The writing is solid and the dialogue was great to me. I don't know how non-diehards will feel about it, but they captured the street slang well enough and not everyone speaks like a brain dead ork ganger. I'm not going to talk any more about the game because I don't want to ruin the experience, talk anyone into or out of getting it.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2013, 06:57:35 pm »

One that thing that will be pretty sweet is when someone creates a mod for Urban Brawl.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2013, 07:46:58 pm »

Sweet! Blood bowl, Shadowrun style!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2013, 09:36:09 pm »

If you look at is as buying a gaming environment, however, with the ability for the modding community to not only create new stories but also create/add new components to the game itself - it's more than worth the money and the investment.

That however is an intangible and I remember back with Littlebigplanet and Littlebigplanet 2.

Littlebigplanet had great level design but poor player design. While Littlebigplanet 2 had poor level design but poor player design.

That is why I bought the first littlebigplanet but never was even tempted with the second.

Player content is good and all but at the end of the day you always have to gamble on the game. "It could be fixed" is always an excuse that will come up but every layer you add to it is another variable.

So yeah the editor for Shadowrun could fix it. Yet probably not.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2013, 09:47:21 pm »

Fix what?! You haven't even played the game. It's plain silly to claim it's broken.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2013, 10:32:57 pm »

Fix what?! You haven't even played the game. It's plain silly to claim it's broken.

An earlier comment stated that the 12 hours would be "fixed" because the editor clearly adds more time to it.

Which I am saying, yes it could... but probably not.

Mind you I am speaking purely about my own preferences. I am in no way trying to state objective problems with the game.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:02:07 pm by Neonivek »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2013, 02:30:21 am »

Frankly more RPGs need to be shorter. I am growing tired of games sprawling on and on and on and on and on and on (you get it) with repetitive content. I've yet to see a game top 30 hours story and still be all that compelling to me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2013, 05:07:05 am »

Frankly more RPGs need to be shorter.

It is less that they need to be shorter and more that they need to stop lasting forever and wearing out their welcome.

80 hours to complete an RPG is ridiculous.

20 hours is what I call a short RPG. So 12 hours is brisk.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:53 pm »

Frankly more RPGs need to be shorter. I am growing tired of games sprawling on and on and on and on and on and on (you get it) with repetitive content. I've yet to see a game top 30 hours story and still be all that compelling to me.
Less mandatory grinding/speed bump battles.

Random battles... blargh. 
Though, I do happen to welcome the fighting in Dragon's Dogma... but sooner or later the trash are just going to become speed bumps I want to ignore forever more.  At least I'll be able to run past em.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2013, 02:44:12 pm »

Eh, 12 hours seems fine to me.  I can see probably playing it twice anyway to try different playstyles.  If it really bothers you, just wait till its half-off on steam and then you'll have a good dollar per hour mark. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2013, 08:15:13 pm »

Eh, 12 hours seems fine to me.  I can see probably playing it twice anyway to try different playstyles.  If it really bothers you, just wait till its half-off on steam and then you'll have a good dollar per hour mark.

Another strategy is also to keep your ear to the mod and player content scene.

Sure, buying a game with the intent to fill in the time with player content that doesn't exist yet is a fools move... but buying it after you hear great that front is great news.

I can see probably playing it twice anyway to try different playstyles

Maybe. You already can fit all the gimmicks into a single party so your second play through would probably be a gimmick party.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2013, 08:46:37 pm »

But can you play with no party at all?!?  Sneaky ninja style? 

Lots of things I'd like to try.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27