Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51942 times)

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2013, 10:07:03 am »

I think an amount of reservation is needed. These are not screen shoots, even if they are composed out of game assets. This is their dream, that doesn't mean they'll achieve it.

From what I've seen they are rather achievable and basic.

Good point Wiggles!  That said, I'm with Neonivek here.  The nice thing about concepting with pixel assets is that they are the assets.  I think it's fair to gush over some good art and design aesthetics, without having to worry about how the underlying game mechanics will pan out.  Your level-headed reservation is probably the safest way to go, but, c'mon, let us dream a little.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »

Well considering the success rate of video games funded by kickstarter, succeeding, the dream was dreamt when folks gave them an ass load of money.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2013, 07:26:29 am »

Damnit. I missed the kickstarter. This sounds FUCKING AMAZING. I can't even decide if I'm more excited for Cyberpunk or Shadowrun now.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2013, 07:32:27 am »

Damnit. I missed the kickstarter. This sounds FUCKING AMAZING. I can't even decide if I'm more excited for Cyberpunk or Shadowrun now.

you can preorder of their main website from paypal/card now
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2013, 11:05:22 am »

While I'm still excited for the project, my jets have kinda cooled for several reasons.

-Reality has set in. Features have been cut. No more recruiting the Shadowrunners generated by your friends, for example.

-The more they show off their character work, the less I like it. The environments are fine. But the models and the general look of them leaves a lot to be desired for me. I was worried, based on Hairbrained's last game, that the style their artists preferred was going to dictate how SRR looked. And I think I was right, because all the SRR have a comic book look to them, with overdrawn proportions and highly stylized looks. I'd have preferred a more realistic look.

Those and I can't shake the feeling that, if they meet their current release date, the game will not have gotten the time of dev time it really deserves. I'd be more than willing to wait on the game if it resulted in more features, a longer game and more content. Part of me has really started to wonder if what they have been able to put together in just over a year will really satisfy. Even with good tools and a good team, that's the kind of development window we see in casual, indie mobile games. The exact kind of game HBS has been used to making.

Time will tell but I suspect we're not going to know or see a lot of the game until right before release.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2013, 01:07:56 pm »

Real gameplay folks! And it looks good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9MiMjQwd2VE

The disguise system sound interesting especially if it's more than binary fighting all the enemies/complete invisibility.
I'm not sure if only three answers in dialogues is good enough unless they're dependent on your class or something.
Bit disappointing no hacking or anything similar was shown but the fight system looks very good. And summoning look tad OP.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2013, 02:47:26 pm »

Bearing in mind it's an alpha build....

Not really a fan of the UI look. Everything is huge, which I guess I shouldn't be surprised since this is going to mobile devices as well. Like, the menus are overdeveloped for what they're actually displaying.

Some stuff seems kind of arbitrarily placed, like Ley Lines.

Generally it's what I expected and I'm pleased. But I'm hoping for several layers of visual polish. Combat feels like it kind of lacks umph. Functionally it's correct, aesthetically it seems kind of weak.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2013, 03:40:26 pm »

Wow just wow, i love what they are doing, it could do witha  slightly faster movement, i mean the walking/jogging seem a bit slow if you want my point of view but man its alpha lots will change but so far thats marvelous.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2013, 04:33:10 pm »

I dig the map art a lot, but for some reason the characters and character animations don't seem to fit with the environment, in my mind.  I like the pseudo lo-fi, almost painted backgrounds but then the character models and animations seem to just ditch that look.  It's a relatively minor complaint, but it's one of the first things I noticed.

Lot's of other good things are swirling around in my memory, though.  I'm hopeful about what's going to come of it all.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »

This looks good

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2013, 08:51:41 pm »

I -really- hope for changeling PCs.
because

I WANT MY 9 BODY 9 STRENGTH CHANGELING ADEPT WITH FISTS THAT DO BLAST DAMAGE
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2013, 05:50:50 pm »

Yo chummers. Backer emails are going out, for your physical rewards 'n stuff. Be sure to check your spam folder.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2013, 10:46:31 am »

The game has an official ship date of July 25th. Backers will get their Steam keys from the HBS store a day earlier, the 24th.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2013, 11:28:26 am »

I really wish I had thrown them more money. I have written a couple of missions and am dying for access to the editor.

Someone at Doc Wagon™ seems to have gone rogue......

And yes, I know it's cliché, but I prefer to think of it as classic.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2013, 01:14:50 pm »

Here's a 30-min LP of a mission created by a modder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgojXNLtc08

A nice way to get a look at the game without spoiling the main storyline.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27