Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733992 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:35:27 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #886 on: February 28, 2014, 07:13:46 am »

At this point it's an open question as to whether Toady or Caldfir will be next to revolutionise the DF experience (again)!
I place my bets on Caldfir.

Gideon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 01, 2014, 12:29:21 am »

I just lurk around here, but I wanted to voice my strong support and encouragement for this project.

This is a major advancement for Dwarf Fortress. It has the potential to open this up for a MASSIVELY larger community, which will likely get Bay 12 more money for development.

For DF to grow as a project it needs more investors, and this has the huge potential to gather them.

You're doing the Dark Lord's work. All hail Armok!
« Reply #888 on: March 01, 2014, 12:29:34 am »

The other day I thought it would be pretty awesome if you could somehow export an embark site into a Minecraft map to visualize it in 3D, but considering how you would need to scale the z-levels in DF to be about 3 or 4 blocks high, there is no way you'd fit the entire Up/Down portion of your embark site into Minecraft.

I like Stonesense, but I'd like something like Overseer, but with more optimized performance and better textures, as well as things to show buildings and stock piles and what have you for that ability to walk around inside your fort as if you were one of your dwarves. As it is, I really only use Stonesense to make sure if a bridge is up or down, because there's no graphical representation of that in the game itself.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 01, 2014, 01:05:43 am »

The other day I thought it would be pretty awesome if you could somehow export an embark site into a Minecraft map to visualize it in 3D, but considering how you would need to scale the z-levels in DF to be about 3 or 4 blocks high, there is no way you'd fit the entire Up/Down portion of your embark site into Minecraft.

I like Stonesense, but I'd like something like Overseer, but with more optimized performance and better textures, as well as things to show buildings and stock piles and what have you for that ability to walk around inside your fort as if you were one of your dwarves. As it is, I really only use Stonesense to make sure if a bridge is up or down, because there's no graphical representation of that in the game itself.

https://github.com/DFHack/df2mc

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 01, 2014, 04:29:05 pm »

This still runs afoul of the issue of "not enough Z levels". If you're burning 3 vertical blocks per Z level, the best vanilla minecraft can permit is about 83 Z levels (256 Y levels in minecraft, ~6 of which are consumed by non-even bedrock, resulting in 250/3 for Z levels), which is easily insufficient for many embark sites + constructions even if you're not concerned with the HFS depths.

easykiln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 01, 2014, 07:05:30 pm »

Really looking forward to the future of stonesense. I probably won't use it as my primary means of playing any time soon, but just as a toggle-able map feature embedded in the game is enough to make me salivate.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 01, 2014, 07:15:48 pm »

Really looking forward to the future of stonesense. I probably won't use it as my primary means of playing any time soon, but just as a toggle-able map feature embedded in the game is enough to make me salivate.

Actually... Caldfir, having a command "stonesense overlay toggle" would be great - a keybindable way to flick it on and off.  Great for checking how something looks in whichever view mode you're not using!

This still runs afoul of the issue of "not enough Z levels". If you're burning 3 vertical blocks per Z level, the best vanilla minecraft can permit is about 83 Z levels

Well, it's a lot better than when df2mc worked on both ends - MC was only 128 tall!  The issue now, IIRC, is just that no-one's updated the minecraft end to work again.  Getting DF map data is pretty easy, dfhack even has a standard format I think. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 02, 2014, 09:19:38 pm »

@ easykiln, PeridexisErrant
Yeah, the intention is to have it be toggleable.  All the framework for doing that is present, since the overlay needs to switch off when you enter a menu screen already - I'll hook in a keybinding for toggling the overlay at some point.

In other news, after a couple situations where I did a bunch of work, then realized what I was doing wouldn't cover some of the cases that were needed, I've got a solution to the "how to display designations/constructions" thing that should be effective.  I've treated construction and designation as "materials" so all the configurable xml stuff that already exists can be applied easily to them.  Designations and constructions will alter the tiletype reported on the tile.  The display of constructions/designations is toggleable (default keybinding is 'd' right now).  I believe I've got everything including designated tracks working already, so that's the major one finished.  It shouldn't be too difficult to get the same handling for constructions. 

I still need to sort out how the building/construction/room placement cursor stuff works, but hopefully that won't be too bad. 
where is up?

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 03, 2014, 05:33:26 am »

If some people are still searching some resources, there is that Japanese guy on Pixiv who share is ISO works. So maybe someone may want to adapt them for Stonesense?

Anyway, here's a preview:

Here's a map:

Link (you need to subscribe to pixiv to be able to see pictures in full view):
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=625753

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 03, 2014, 07:35:52 am »

If some people are still searching some resources, there is that Japanese guy on Pixiv who share is ISO works. So maybe someone may want to adapt them for Stonesense?

Here's a map:

If you intended for there to be images in your post, they do not seem to have happened.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 03, 2014, 11:27:42 am »

Here's a map:

If you intended for there to be images in your post, they do not seem to have happened.
Same here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 03, 2014, 12:13:02 pm »

They're only visible after having visited the pixiv account.

Here's a map:

There, I fixed it.

easykiln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 05, 2014, 10:13:08 pm »

Thanks, that sounds good.

I might be displaying terrible google-fu here, but is there a feature planned that will let you cut away stuff in the way? Words are failing me here, but my example is that I have a multilevel royal complex built around a waterfall falling into a deep canyon. I can't angle it right to look at it without the cliff sides getting in the way. If I could set blocks until a certain distance away to be transparent, I think I could get a much better look.

I feel like this is a dumb question and also there is probably a simple word for what I mean but gah

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 05, 2014, 11:09:05 pm »

The issue these is how in the world do you decide what to hide? Right now there's a hotkey to chop the top layer in half, but that's about it.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 85