Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733373 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #345 on: June 23, 2012, 08:28:28 pm »

Yes, it does. YOu can have as many variations as you want.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 23, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »

yep, and I've made variations on a few items already (e.i. 3 for stones, 2 for logs), but for now there are a lot of tiles I need to make, so variations are only being done where it doesn't take too long, or where I feel it's necessary, or appropriate, or where I just feel like it mostly, or when the voices insist on it, or..., or....  yea, yea, sorry, I'm done.  8)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 23, 2012, 08:36:29 pm »

chrisadams3997, if you can think up a reasonable ruleset for the water, it would help me be able to support it better.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 23, 2012, 08:54:16 pm »

Question to Chrisadams,
Are oyu playing on a huge Marble deposit? Or is all that stone just not colored?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 23, 2012, 09:08:19 pm »

Question to Chrisadams,
Are oyu playing on a huge Marble deposit? Or is all that stone just not colored?

Yep, 3 layers of marble, the basin the waterfalls are pouring into in the last picture is a diorite layer below it.

Here's a shot with some schist mixed with marble:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are also some gem deposits in the marble.  I'm going to make subsprites for gems and veins similar to those in the DarkTundra tileset that's bundled with stonesense now (not the default set, an alternate one that you can enable), but I haven't touched that yet.

chrisadams3997, if you can think up a reasonable ruleset for the water, it would help me be able to support it better.

I have no idea what you can pull from DF in that regard.  If you can tell it's 'falling', it'd be nice to have something other than just a block of water falling through space.  Though I'm not even sure yet what an alternate sprite for that situation would look like, I'd have to play with it.  But I think it could be feasible.  The other thing that could be greatly improved is where different levels of water meet, but again, I'm not really certain how feasible that is within a sprite system.  Making them 'flow' visually from one level to the other would be a pretty high order to fill I'm thinking.

To be honest I was hoping you already had all that figured out  ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:29:04 pm by chrisadams3997 »

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »

hehe, double post

While we are talking code changes, any chance you could take a look at rotation center when zoomed in/out?  Debug Cursor is also weird zoomed in, but that's not as big a deal.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 23, 2012, 09:52:45 pm »

I'll see what I can do.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2012, 10:28:28 pm »

merci beaucoup

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2012, 11:52:23 pm »

As for water playing nice with ramps and objects:

When doing sprites in Blender (or any modeling program), it's trivial (although potentially time consuming) to give each image a "Water mask".  This would say which parts of the image stick out of the water at different depths.  Since water is split into 8 heights (0 being empty and 7 being full), you could subdivide each model into 8 slices on the z-axis and give each one a different opacity (or value, or color, or whatever) and save that as a seperate mask.  Stonesense would then use that mask to determine where to draw water, allowing for things such as proper water levels on ramps, partially submerged objects, and even short objects (such as crates or stockpile items.) being completely underwater in a partially filed tile.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2012, 12:00:50 am »

Or even better, the sprite for the object can have the water itself on it, as part of the sprite, though I'm not sure how we'd deal with two things having water sprites. Perhaps another way would be to split the sprites into underwater and above water sprites, and draw everything twice. Or something.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 24, 2012, 12:11:18 am »

That wouldn't play nice with changing the water texture - unless you wanted to redo every sprite.

Also, if it's a mask, then we've covered water, lava, fog, multiple depths and everything else Toady wants to add in the future.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 24, 2012, 12:14:30 am »

mask isn't really that workable with stonesense, or at least, I don't know how to use it without shaders. But two half-sprites, I know how to use, and they wouldn't depend on the water sprite.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 24, 2012, 12:23:40 am »

Ah, so just chop the sprite at whatever z-level and have 1 for the part below water and 1 for the part above?

I guess that works, if you want to do it the 'sane and easy' way. :P

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 24, 2012, 04:05:25 am »

merci beaucoup

Très joli !

chrisadams, any chance to test your adjustements? That looks quite nice.
I'd be giving a dwarf right arm for a link  ;)
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 24, 2012, 07:00:08 am »

Très joli !

chrisadams, any chance to test your adjustements? That looks quite nice.
I'd be giving a dwarf right arm for a link  ;)

uh, yeah, later today I can zip up what I've got and post a link.

edit:
Japa, what can stonesense do right now with items as far as defining different sprites based on materials?  I tried using <if> / <else> tags on deconstructed cabinets like buildings use them which resulted in neither sprite showing up.  This is what I tried:

Code: [Select]
<item game_type="CABINET">
<if>
<MaterialType value="Wood" />
<sprite index="63" color="item" zoom="2"/>
</if>
<else>
<sprite index="62" color="item" zoom="2"/>
</else>
</item>

Right now they of course all use the very simple form:
<item game_type="TABLE" sheetIndex="61" zoom="2" color="item" />

I've found items can use subsprites, but I don't have any way to define material.  Placing a <Material value="Wood"> or <MaterialType value="Wood"> doesn't seem to do anything, e.i. the sprite I'm trying to limit to wood cabinets only still show, regardless of material type.

So this:
<item game_type="CABINET" sheetIndex="19" zoom="2">
<Material value="Wood" />
<subsprite sheetIndex="63" color="item" zoom="2"/>
</item>

gives me all cabinets in the stockpile using the wood sprite instead of just showing the wooden ones. (19 is an empty sprite, 63 is the wooden cabinet "item" sprite).

Throwing an <if> </if> tag around that results in no sprites displayed for cabinet "items"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:39:03 am by chrisadams3997 »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 85