Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733344 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #285 on: June 12, 2012, 09:43:42 am »

Okay, who the hell is 8Z and why is he being so awesome?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »

You know what I want to do, but have no idea how?

Use RCT sprites for this. That way I could fool people into thinking I was playing that, right up until the blood starts flying.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 12, 2012, 12:13:02 pm »

If you can get the sprites from RCT, you can set them to custom buildings, along with other common things you find.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 12, 2012, 12:16:52 pm »

Yes, the hard part is ripping them.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 12, 2012, 12:23:56 pm »

RCT2 had sprites at a nice resolution, and they're not hard to rip at all. Heck, they're practically in a spritesheet already.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 12, 2012, 12:34:31 pm »

RCT2 had sprites at a nice resolution, and they're not hard to rip at all. Heck, they're practically in a spritesheet already.

What's hard is the guests.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2012, 05:30:35 am »

Quote from: init file
Sets weather Stonesense should use a day/night effect
[NIGHT:NO]

Is this implemented in DF? 
I read about seasons, yes, by night and day?
:D
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2012, 05:32:32 am »

I honestly don't know. I know I implimented it at some point, but I don't know if it's still there. You can try testing it.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2012, 08:45:30 am »

I've been playing around with sprite sheets and the xml's lately, making a few things suit my tastes a little better, but I've come across a question I haven't been able to figure out.  On a particular sprite sheet, what tells stone sense the size of the tiles on it (e.i. 32x32, 32x20, 64x64, etc)?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2012, 08:50:12 am »

I'm just gonna link the whole guide here. read through this, then ask questions.

It will also tell you everything else you can do with sprites in general. Mind you, this doesn't say anything in regards to more specific sprites syntax, like building definitions, which are rather complicated and I don't understand them.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2012, 09:25:50 pm »

I'd already read that, but I'd overlooked the 'zoom' tag the first few times :P

What started as trying out placing some of Dervish's posted sprites into stonesense has evolved into developing some new ones of my own.  Which has been interesting since all my previous 3D modeling was in gmax/3DsMax, which I no longer have, so I've dived into learning blender over the last few days (yeah, I took a day off work explicitly for that).  I've been focusing on walls and floors, particularly rock, and some of the more common items I have lying around my fortresses.  Anyway, pictures are good and way more interesting than me typing, so, without further ado:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The rock walls, smoothed walls, natural rock floor, stairs, loose stones, doors, and barrels are all new.  Everything is 128x128.  Gonna take a shot at the natural ramps next.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2012, 09:42:38 pm »

Also, if we're going to be using blender for making items, we should keep a template file so that everybody has the same lighting between items. There's also ways to get proper shadows on the sprites that we may want to do, but that requires a little bit more work.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2012, 09:48:06 pm »

What started as trying out placing some of Dervish's posted sprites into stonesense has evolved into developing some new ones of my own.  Which has been interesting since all my previous 3D modeling was in gmax/3DsMax, which I no longer have, so I've dived into learning blender over the last few days (yeah, I took a day off work explicitly for that).  I've been focusing on walls and floors, particularly rock, and some of the more common items I have lying around my fortresses.  Anyway, pictures are good and way more interesting than me typing, so, without further ado:

The rock walls, smoothed walls, natural rock floor, stairs, loose stones, doors, and barrels are all new.  Everything is 128x128.  Gonna take a shot at the natural ramps next.
YOU! YES YOU!
Keep up the great work, those are pleasing to the eyes.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 15, 2012, 10:53:54 am »

YOU! YES YOU!
Keep up the great work, those are pleasing to the eyes.

Seconded. My work often features high ceilings and support pillars. Though I am using an older version of both DF and stonesense, I can appreciate this greatly.

That actually got me thinking of looking for ways to visibly designate and distinguish walkways viewable in stonesense. This is especially tricky for me on ramp tiles (distinguishing ramp tiles that do v. do not compose part of a pathway).

Also, I know this was discussed recently, but I can't seem to find it. I would like to take large zoomed out screenshots of a fortress easily. I thought you could do this in stonesense by pressing the< > keys to zoom out. For some reason, this does not appear to be working. The Control + F5 command freezes my computer, which is odd considering I've got 8 GB of ram and a computer that's less than a year old. I am probably doing something wrong, but I do not know what. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. Running Stonesense Felsite(3.1), and DF 31.25 [been working on this fort for a while) have read README file. Still lost :).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:58:40 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 15, 2012, 11:24:04 am »

The ctrl+f5 key combo has a bit of history behind it.

Stonesense and Dwarf Fortress are both 32bit programs. what this means is that they have a memory usage limit of 2Gb, no matter what your system has.

Originally, Stonesense ran separately from Dwarf Fortress, in it's own process. This meant that it had that 2GB for itself, and if it crashed, it just crashed itself, and DF was fine. Unfortunately, this uses very slow system calls to read the memory from DF, which meant that things tended to run slow in general.

Then a bunch of things happenned. The first was stonesense becoming multi threaded. This meant that the DF memory could be read at the same time that SS was busy drawing pretty pictures. But this meant that two copies of the viewed area of the fort needed to be loaded at once. This meant double the memory usage, but it also was double the speed, so it was good.

However, enough changed with stonesense that the full screenshot no longer worked. I didn't really feel up to the task of getting it to work again, so I disabled it. the main problem was that the loading was no longer sequential, so it was like deciding that you want to cook for 10 times the number of people, while your minion is already at the store buying groceries.

Then DFhack changed, and stuck itself into Dwarf Fortress directly. This means direct access to DF's memory, which means much faster reads, and SS can now read much more than it was able to before. Things like dwarf inventories and mist all came from this.

Unfortunately, the downside of this was that because they are both the same program, the 2GB memory limit is shared between DF and SS, which means when I finally went and fixed the large screenshot feature to work again, the fort pretty much had to be loaded into memory twice, once for DF itself, and once for stonesense. This means that if your fort takes more than a single GB, which most do, then trying to do a full screenshot will cause a crash as everything runs out of available memory. The solution to this was to disable the screenshot feature again because having a crash button is bad.

Finally Caldfir came along, my hero, and fixed the screenshot feature so that it uses far, far less memory than before, making things not crash, making the only limit the size of the resulting image, because videocards have their own limits, but zooming out fixes that, at the cost of detail. This is what the latest version of stonesense uses, but I don't know at which specific version it was implemented, but I can only assume that the version you are using was before this.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 85