Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733312 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2012, 07:31:33 pm »

either open creatures/init.txt and remove the line containing that folder

I think you mean index.txt there.

Also, I'm getting a lot of red text in the dfhack window when I run stonesense, and a whole lot of black squares in both adventure and arena modes.  Blood appears as a a magic pink diamond instead of actual blood, and often sprites are not loaded.  I am very sure at least some of these problems relate to my using Genesis and not the basic version of the game, but still the blood and the red text worries me.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »

do you resize the stonesense window while it's loading?

if so, don't do that.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:28 pm »

Testing out Kohaku's profession icons:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had to shrink the backplates because they were touching the name text and it looked weird.  The jobs seem to all be lining up with what they are ingame, so I didn't screw that up :)

On the subject of the browndwarves - these particular "dwarves" are just humans I've applied the dwarf spritesheet to in stonesense for testing purposes (because humans are plentiful).  I tend to find non-historical dwarves/creatures share all the same colours, while historical ones do not.  No idea how the genetics system actually works though.  Would be interesting to know. 
where is up?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2012, 11:39:05 pm »

do you resize the stonesense window while it's loading?

if so, don't do that.

Yeah I've noticed that doing that messes up the walls and they don't display properly.  So I learn to be patient.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:01 pm »

Testing out Kohaku's profession icons:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had to shrink the backplates because they were touching the name text and it looked weird.  The jobs seem to all be lining up with what they are ingame, so I didn't screw that up :)

On the subject of the browndwarves - these particular "dwarves" are just humans I've applied the dwarf spritesheet to in stonesense for testing purposes (because humans are plentiful).  I tend to find non-historical dwarves/creatures share all the same colours, while historical ones do not.  No idea how the genetics system actually works though.  Would be interesting to know.

If you want, I can make an alternate set of badges to designate legendary status, provided you can actually discern that easily. 

Of course, if you cut the badge size down like that, it would be hard to see some of them like the leatherworker without changing the icon itself. 

I also notice that there are labors listed at github, so if you want, I could edit some of these tokens, and make them available as tokens that could appear as different floating icons, giving players a chance to look at what all their dwarves are actually doing at a glance.

Failing that, if there is some other task you'd want me to spend time on, I could do that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2012, 01:51:45 am »

current labors would actually be pretty cool.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:20 am »

It would be cool if you added another stance
(like how you have the combat stance)
of them like holding something and looking at it.
And then you could put like rock mugs or whatever in their hands, to show what they're doing.

Maybe that would be silly.
But I'm a fan of using the game for interface and Stonesense for cool-looking screenshots.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2012, 10:44:34 am »

But I'm a fan of using the game for interface and Stonesense for cool-looking screenshots.

As am I, ironhand, as am I

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2012, 03:30:59 pm »

It would be cool if you added another stance
(like how you have the combat stance)
of them like holding something and looking at it.
And then you could put like rock mugs or whatever in their hands, to show what they're doing.

Maybe having a double-handed carry.  So that they could be carrying a barrel or a bin, or just carrying that mug extra-careful.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »

Or that one, precious, tooth.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2012, 02:36:10 pm »

OK, how's this for a labor icon?

Job: Haul Stone

I made the pointy ends of the badge face top right and bottom left in opposition to the profession icons.  The "gem" icon on the bottom right can be a general status class, and I plan to reuse most of the icons from the profession icons for the purposes of recognition and laziness. 

The bottom right gem icons can have simple color coding, like "green" as working and "red" as on break.  (Of course, green is the color they use for "on break" in game...) Or else using other color schemes, if anyone cares enough.

Also, I never got a response on those profession icons where I could add a picture for generic type jobs.  That stone there? It was for use as the generic stoneworker icon.

EDIT:
I can also do this without backplates.

Might cause problems with some things in the background, however...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:55:45 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2012, 03:57:49 pm »

Yeah, it's hard to tell what it is on the darkling background... both with and without the background.

What's the green dot?  It kind of makes it look like a hammer with a red plus sign.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2012, 04:21:35 pm »

Yeah, it's hard to tell what it is on the darkling background... both with and without the background.

... It kind of makes it look like a hammer with a red plus sign.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

What's the green dot? 
The bottom right gem icons can have simple color coding, like "green" as working and "red" as on break.  (Of course, green is the color they use for "on break" in game...) Or else using other color schemes, if anyone cares enough.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2012, 08:20:27 pm »

... It kind of makes it look like a hammer with a red plus sign.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe it's my resolution (1920x1200) or just the Darkling forum theme, but they are hard to make out.  Right now, they are 4mm2 (or 5/16"2) on my screen so adding a bunch of detail is lost.  The rock in the bottom one looks like there's a "handle" where the green dot is with a red plus overlay above it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2012, 08:37:45 pm »

I had no idea "darkling" was the name for this color scheme.  And it's really confusing when you're talking about a background with or without a background.

Anyway, if I'm going to get the arrow to fit into this icon without completely obscuring the rest of the icon, I have 6 pixels to work with.

I can make the backplate a little darker and the arrow a pixel fatter, but that's about it.

"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 85