Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733260 times)

David Holmes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2012, 03:58:35 pm »

What's the most recent version that allows full map screenshots?
I've been reluctant to continue my DORFTANIC construction since a 6 Embark long construction just doesn't look right with severly limited screenshots.
Yes, this isn't working for me either.  Regular-size screenshots with "F5" work, and the README says "CTRL-F5" and "CTRL-SHIFT-F5" should take full-map screenshots, but I get nothing when I try them.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2012, 05:13:19 pm »

(not sure if I should post in the DFHack thread or here, but I suppose this is a slightly more relevant place)

I built DFHack with the Stonesense plugin on 64-bit Debian Linux. It seems to build without error (some minor warnings appear, though). However, when I launch Stonesense via DFHack, a window pops up called "Dwarf_Fortress", and sits there blankly for all eternity. There doesn't appear to be a stonesense.log generated anywhere, so I don't know anything about the problem past what I said earlier. Is there any way to get SS to a point where it will at least give me errors?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:16:52 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2012, 12:59:08 am »

What's the most recent version that allows full map screenshots?
I've been reluctant to continue my DORFTANIC construction since a 6 Embark long construction just doesn't look right with severly limited screenshots.
Yes, this isn't working for me either.  Regular-size screenshots with "F5" work, and the README says "CTRL-F5" and "CTRL-SHIFT-F5" should take full-map screenshots, but I get nothing when I try them.
The full-map screenshots are currently disabled.  The method being used to draw them isn't being clever at all, so it uses a lot of memory, and since dfhack and stonesense live inside the dwarf fortress memory space now, this tends to cause crashes.  Until the feature is fixed, it will stay out of builds, because having a "crash dwarf fortress" button doesn't help anybody. 
where is up?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2012, 03:20:14 am »

I finally found what i needed, changing the init settings allow for a much better view than what was offered as default, i'll just post a few images to show the difference.
Loading stonesense as dafault gave me this:
Changing to match my display settings gave me this:
Changing to a resolution higher than my actual display area gave this:
More than that allows me to actually take a screenshot of the entire square being loaded :
Like i said i'm planning a fairly construction that'll need the full map screenshot to look good, but at least i can get a reasonably decent screenshot now.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:35:21 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2012, 12:55:04 pm »

Suggestion; to be able to add custom sprites for the corpses of different creatures, as right now dead bodies appear only as bloodstains.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

munki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »

e: Ack, nevermind, I'm a horrible reader. (Full-fort screenshots are disabled, herp derp)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:58 am »

e: Ack, nevermind, I'm a horrible reader. (Full-fort screenshots are disabled, herp derp)

Working on that right now actually :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had to zoom out quite a bit to get something small enough to be uploaded, but the crashes are fixed.  Now the only limiting factor is the maximum image size permitted by your video card, and that just fails with a polite warning about how you should zoom out or try software mode :)

Still a few kinks to work out though - it tends to go slightly insane on 2x2 embarks for some reason. 
where is up?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2012, 02:04:02 am »

Ah, my favorite feature has returned.  Thank you so much!
At last, she is done.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2012, 06:14:41 am »

w00t, now i won't need to glue together 4 screenshots to get the whole construction in.
Unless a 7x7 embark is too much for it :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2012, 06:47:52 am »

w00t, now i won't need to glue together 4 screenshots to get the whole construction in.
Unless a 7x7 embark is too much for it :/
The embark size shouldn't be an issue anymore.  Before, the problem was that it was just loading the whole map at once and just cramming that into a file.  Now it loads only a small portion of the map at a time, so unless you're running DF/Stonesense really close to the 2Gb boundary, there shouldn't be any issues.  I'll work a bit to get the memory impact down further. 

What might be problematic with an embark of that size is the image itself just being too large for your video card to load.  If that happens, an error message will print, recommending you zoom out (',') before attempting again.  If this ends up being an issue for lots of people (which I suspect it might) then there are alternatives that can be tried.  Zoom out enough though, and I can pretty much guarantee everything will work out. 
where is up?

Spray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2012, 10:13:22 am »

if DF was only full playable in stonesense...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:27:29 pm by Japa »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »

Holy largeness, batman.
At last, she is done.

munki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »

Working on that right now actually :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had to zoom out quite a bit to get something small enough to be uploaded, but the crashes are fixed.  Now the only limiting factor is the maximum image size permitted by your video card, and that just fails with a polite warning about how you should zoom out or try software mode :)

Still a few kinks to work out though - it tends to go slightly insane on 2x2 embarks for some reason.
Oh! Awesome. And I (as well as others, I'm sure) would gladly accept kinks for mostly-working full-fort screenshots. :D

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2012, 08:23:25 pm »

Japa: But you can make it !!FUN!!.

For example, look at how close that above ground like with the sheer cliffs is to the first cavern layer.  If you dig out a cache in the caverns, and down through to that water cavern possibly, as well, you could channel out the bottom of the lake and make yourself a "sunroof"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 85