Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107805 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #585 on: September 18, 2012, 08:27:44 am »

At works only if there is a correspondence with scarcity, or they would have no value. Achievements are scarce because of effort, cards are scarce because of production, but what is the drive behind digital cards? Artificial scarcity? Sounds a very lame collectible, compared with the 'Gronchi rosa' type of scarcity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 18, 2012, 08:38:33 am »

Scarcity by production is false scarcity.  They could -easily- produce more of a certain card for no different cost.  The same rules can apply to digital cards easily.  Wherever the card comes from, give it a percent chance to drop, or give a certain number of drops per unit of time.  If you get them from fighting monsters, then just allow 1 Super Dragon World Destroyer drop to occur per day.  If they come from shops, then it's identical to real-world cards.  Keep buying and eventually you'll get it!

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 18, 2012, 06:10:52 pm »

At works only if there is a correspondence with scarcity, or they would have no value. Achievements are scarce because of effort, cards are scarce because of production, but what is the drive behind digital cards? Artificial scarcity? Sounds a very lame collectible, compared with the 'Gronchi rosa' type of scarcity.

Apply SQL injection, get all cards, trade them (that's if digital collection even allows this, it would be a massive hit to the idea of "collect them all" if it diddn't), repeat until concept of card scarcity is broken. You Win!
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

dominiony

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:58 am »

I've never understood why collector card video games are popular anyways.  The things always put me to sleep, no matter how they were managed.

I used to really enjoy them, until I finally started to dislike the "You gotta buy more to be competitive!  Buy Buy Buy!" feeling.

If they had a non-collectable card game with deck building I'd probably love it.
Its not feasible business model. Everyone is correct, tcg is about buying more, but its not so much on the part of greed, but necessity.

The closest thing you have is maybe, maybe, Munkchin. Its not strictly collectible, but does have deck building. It does however follow the business model of tcg, that WotC set up in '94, causing the second great table top rpg crash.
I think it is true that that, " tcg is about buying more," but I feel that there are games like Levi link referred to. There are non-collectable card games with deck building.  One example is Dominion, a boardgame that is pretty fun and popular among the boardgaming community.  Other games like 7 Wonders and Food Fight have card drafting mechanics.  I'm sure there are more cardgames with deck building mechanics, especially with the success Dominion has had. 

If Levi link was referring to a video game, there is a free online version of it, but I think it's only fun if you've played with the real game, otherwise its a pain to learn.

There are several expansions for Dominion, but I just have the base set, and I've played it in several gaming sessions with a couple different groups of friends.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 19, 2012, 02:48:15 pm »

Dominion if I recall correctly still has new cards for it being made, so there an incentive to keep buying Dominion cards. As the only way to make money with any card game, is having repeat customers and that means having new content for them to purchase.

(Then you have to worry about printing the RIGHT number of cards for each release set. If you print to few, then you're losing money, if you print to much then you'll get fucked over when you have buy back over stock. And TCG, unlike other table top hobby games, have variance of high and low buying trends for new sets. When this was discovered, it drove a lot of good rpg companies out of business.)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 13, 2012, 10:46:39 am »

FREEBIES! GET EM WHILE THERE ARE STILL CODES AVAILABLE:

http://0x10c.com/X.7Z

Password: MONTAUK

And no, I'm not a spambot, look through my history.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 13, 2012, 10:55:40 am »

Phew. Thank you B2V6-Q9J9-G7P8! I thought that all the codes were all taken for a while there.

EDIT: Does anybody know anything about the conditions of the codes? As it, do 1000 people now have full access to the game until the end of time?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:59:14 am by USEC_OFFICER »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 13, 2012, 10:57:43 am »

Indeed a spambot you aren't. Got one on the second try. Thanks!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 13, 2012, 10:59:11 am »

Got one on the third try after skipping down to where USEC was.
Thank you, F7T6-W9X6-G4R2!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 13, 2012, 11:00:53 am »

Nice. Took a few tries,, but got it. THANKS!!!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 13, 2012, 11:01:01 am »

Indeed a spambot you aren't. Got one on the second try. Thanks!
Same

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 13, 2012, 11:04:35 am »

Got in, nice :p

Thanks for the codes.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 13, 2012, 11:15:44 am »

Nooo, can't download files at work!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 13, 2012, 11:16:41 am »

Yes problem! The codes have already been claimed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:20:16 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 13, 2012, 11:28:55 am »

all gone? sobs
EDIT: Tested from Alkyon to the bottom, no codes lefts there.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:38:51 am by ukulele »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43