Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107913 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #480 on: May 16, 2012, 05:43:07 pm »

As already stated you'll still hear shit, cause you know your in your ship, the only thing you WONT be able to hear are your enemies' desprate plees for mercy. Plus, who wouldn't want ultra-stealthy spess commandos? (Any wh40k references will be shot, survivors will be shot again.) Noiseless space seems somewhat of a not-problem, I mean you won't even be in space that much
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 17, 2012, 02:07:56 am »

I suppose we might end up with something similar to how Shattered Horizon deals with the lack of sound in space. In that game, while you have enough power, your suit simulates sounds. I could imagine having computers generate sounds when enemy weapons fire and similar.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 17, 2012, 02:36:36 am »

I suppose we might end up with something similar to how Shattered Horizon deals with the lack of sound in space. In that game, while you have enough power, your suit simulates sounds. I could imagine having computers generate sounds when enemy weapons fire and similar.
That's the hand-waved explanation for Star Wars. The ship's sensors pick up on engines, lasers, etc and simulates a sound for them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 17, 2012, 03:13:39 am »

That's the hand-waved explanation for Star Wars. The ship's sensors pick up on engines, lasers, etc and simulates a sound for them.
Didn't even know Star Wars tried to explain.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 17, 2012, 03:17:19 am »

Didn't even know Star Wars tried to explain.
Only in the background material, and I'm not sure how canon it is. It kinda makes sense though.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 17, 2012, 05:31:40 am »

I like the idea of hearing your ship break down under you and then - suddenly - the utter silence of space as you float out.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 17, 2012, 06:25:56 am »

That explains why the voice transmissions in Starwars are always so crap. The must be using Notch's CPUs coupled with crappy sound cards. Between simulating engine noises, turning noises, weapons and explosions, R2D2's beepy crap and whatever else, there's probably not enough bitrate and sound channels left to give a reasonably crisp voice transmission.

Oh, hang on. They explained that with saying it was encrypted. The only thing they seem to encrypt in the entire Starwars bloody universe are absolutely vital-to-understand fighter transmissions, and ensuring that everyone has really shitty video resolution (holocams or whatever) on even unimportant video transmissions. The can't lock doors, anyone can pilot a star-destroyer, no-one has you invented a decent set of security systems, but they encrypt publicly accessible broadcasts, military transmissions, and absolutely nothing else.

I really hope that Notch remembers that a fair bit of SciFi is the fiction part. There's some stuff that you really shouldn't go into or explain too much. You just say, "It's like that. It's in the future. That's what stuff is like in the future." You never try to actually explain stuff. Why would you? You're not going for a doctorate with your scientific explanations, you're writing fiction. Science fiction in fact. Or you may as well start waving your hands and telling them that THAT is the reason it's like that. Because you waved your hands.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 17, 2012, 06:36:33 am »

That wasn't meant to be a rant or trolling, but to make a logically consistent universe in a sci-fi setting is a pointless task. We don't even live in a logically consistent world today, and this is science-reality. There's plenty of stuff that gets explained by hand waving.

If you had lightsabers, hyperdrives and missiles, wouldn't you put a really big lightsaber onto a hyperdrive equipped missile and make all shield and armour technologies redundant overnight? It would even block turbolaser fire on it's way to cleaving through entire capital ships............
It's a game. Have fun.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 17, 2012, 07:06:48 am »

really big lightsaber onto a hyperdrive equipped missile

That is something that always bothered me about warp/ftl/jump/whatever-drives. Why bother having warships? If I was the evil emperor of the far future I would equip my Future NukesTM with warp drives and jump them straight into the atmosphere of the planets I want dead and the ships I want blown up.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #489 on: May 17, 2012, 07:28:27 am »

Didnt you know, as technology gets more advanced, the people making it get less intelligent, starwars timescale has people using lightsabers many thousands of years before the movies were set, and that many more hundreds of thousands of years before that hyperdrive was made by now nearly extinct alien overlords using the force and technologie making massive fleets with power ripped out of a star and doing all kinds of crazy other shit, and durring all that time there were sentient robots and still nothing got done that could be noteworth... lucus is a very bad at science, he tries but hes a hack at it, he is a movie writer. Startrek tried alot better and doesnt give was far flung crazed timescales, it was best guess with optomism, and stayed with very scientific outlook with TV entertainment in mind.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 17, 2012, 07:47:39 am »

So any word on how Notch is going to prevent pay2win syndrome?

A lot of talk with almost no basis but at the same time this sounds like a crucial element to this game.
really big lightsaber onto a hyperdrive equipped missile

That is something that always bothered me about warp/ftl/jump/whatever-drives. Why bother having warships? If I was the evil emperor of the far future I would equip my Future NukesTM with warp drives and jump them straight into the atmosphere of the planets I want dead and the ships I want blown up.
Star Trek solves this by basically saying that warping inside systems is very dangerous.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 17, 2012, 11:09:31 am »

As they did say teleporting was dangerous too.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 17, 2012, 01:17:04 pm »

Never hurd ot the galaxy gun? It was a giant gun in spess that fired planet-killing rounds through the galaxy!!! And that is starwars canon.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 17, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »

Disregard.  I don't think Scoopbeard ever really posts productively.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 17, 2012, 02:03:15 pm »

Thank God I'm not the only one.

Whoops, that wasn't very productive of me either, but still.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43