Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 108007 times)

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #345 on: April 22, 2012, 11:50:47 am »

ALSO: @DrPoo & @dreadmullet: fuck you guys it's not 'starwars physics' a fighter in space can emulate a jet in our atmosphere

Sure, you could emulate a fighter jet using RCS thrusters if you really wanted to. If you're going one direction at 500 m/s and you want to turn around and go the other direction, you could emulate a fighter jet by thrusting upwards and pitching upwards, so it looks like you do a round loop. However, it's many, many times more efficient to just, you know, thrust in the direction you want to go. Besides, in the case of a planetary orbit, the ship may be travelling at kilometers per second. According to your Starwars physics, the ship would have to face the direction it's going as it sloooowwwwly turns around. And what if the ship starts alongside a space station? It may be going 20 m/s relative to the orbiting station. Starwars physics doesn't make sense anymore, especially considering the planet the ship is orbiting may be travelling at an entirely different velocity altogether.

Whenever I watch Star Wars or something similar and I watch any of the space scenes, it's like watching a child playing with a toy airplane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 22, 2012, 11:59:32 am »

PlusAye, why would anyone want a space ship that drives like an air plane? The nature of space removes many limitations aircrafts face in regards to maneuverability.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:01:10 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:01 pm »

Which is why everyone's ship is going to be a cube.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:41 pm »

Because it's cool, duh. What's the point of winning a fight if you're not going to look cool doing it?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »

ALSO: @DrPoo & @dreadmullet: fuck you guys it's not 'starwars physics' a fighter in space can emulate a jet in our atmosphere

Sure, you could emulate a fighter jet using RCS thrusters if you really wanted to. If you're going one direction at 500 m/s and you want to turn around and go the other direction, you could emulate a fighter jet by thrusting upwards and pitching upwards, so it looks like you do a round loop. However, it's many, many times more efficient to just, you know, thrust in the direction you want to go. Besides, in the case of a planetary orbit, the ship may be travelling at kilometers per second. According to your Starwars physics, the ship would have to face the direction it's going as it sloooowwwwly turns around. And what if the ship starts alongside a space station? It may be going 20 m/s relative to the orbiting station. Starwars physics doesn't make sense anymore, especially considering the planet the ship is orbiting may be travelling at an entirely different velocity altogether.

Whenever I watch Star Wars or something similar and I watch any of the space scenes, it's like watching a child playing with a toy airplane.

So why are you argueing? it's not like we'll have large ships driving like airplanes, but its makes sense for a fighter to, unless you want to outfit it with a turret and multi-directional thrusters. Of course larger ships will just reverse thrusters (and possibly turn while keeping momentum if they want) but its not like im suggesting we have ships act like airplanes.

EDIT: also I agree with DJ, what is the point of this game if not to make cool shit?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 22, 2012, 12:55:29 pm »

My biggest concern about the game in general is how the ships move in space. If the ships fly the way they do in every space movie ever, i.e. like fucking airplanes, I'm going to have to pass the game up, no matter how fun it may be. Also, if there's sound in space. Or if lasers are visible. I highly suspect I'm going to be disappointed, since notch threw away the idea of hard sci-fi.

it's supposed to be 'hard' sci-fi. If there are lasers at all I will be sorely disappointed.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 22, 2012, 12:58:02 pm »

Well since we just had an arguement I think it's safe to say that spaceships will not have to fly like in teh movays (although they could derpaderpaderpa) and I'm pretty sure Notch mentioned lasers somewhere, soz

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 22, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »

it's supposed to be 'hard' sci-fi. If there are lasers at all I will be sorely disappointed.

What?! No lasers at all? That's absurd. What have you against lasers?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 22, 2012, 01:00:28 pm »

There is a limit between 'realistic' and 'interesting to play'. Unless you're making a simulator like the Euro Truck Simulator Jefmajor tried out. The more realistic it is, the more we'll never get off the ground because of a lack of funding, if its anything like NASA is now.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 22, 2012, 01:04:54 pm »

well, hold your horses, didn't Notch say that he scrapped the entirely 'Hard Sci-fi' deal? That it made it not as fun?

Lasers may be somewhat of fringe novelty but they do represent an easy and efficient weapon (in-game), plus I'm sure that it would tax the generator to run them

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 22, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »

We've already got the technology to shoot down missiles and stuff with lasers. If we're billions of years ahead in an alternate timeline in which we never stopped improving spaceflight, why wouldn't we have weaponized lasers?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 22, 2012, 01:11:49 pm »

Lazers are awesome.
Everybody loves them. I mean, seriously. WHATS A SPACE GAME WITHOUT LAZERS?
A bit of hard sci-fi is not bad. at all. i would love it. but we have to be reasonable. I know that lazers shouldnt be visible according to physics, but some things never change.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 22, 2012, 01:14:30 pm »

We've already got the technology to shoot down missiles and stuff with lasers. If we're billions of years ahead in an alternate timeline in which we never stopped improving spaceflight, why wouldn't we have weaponized lasers?

You're not billions of years ahead. You're a handful of colonists who woke from cryogenic sleep billions of years after the rest of mankind has died off, with only the technological know-how they had when they went to sleep. In 1988. Even if they had never stopped improving spaceflight, they'd be at best a decade or so ahead of where we are right now.

Also, a beam of light that melts your enemy isn't nearly as cool as crashing a giant tungsten dart into him at a thousand kilometers a second.  :P
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 22, 2012, 01:16:49 pm »

...and then explodes

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 22, 2012, 01:22:12 pm »

Hey br0, lasers are viable as weapons. Lasers would make pretty decent spaceship weapons since you wouldn't need to waste precious space with ammunition storage. Also magnetic cannons that accelerate space dust to ridiculous speeds could make for a powerful heavy weapon with relatively cheap and easy to find ammo. Altough I'm not really sure if a universe as old as described in the teaser would have much space dust floating around.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43