Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107989 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »

Huh. Looks like a Shores of Hazeron but with more emphasis on the ship and exploration and less of the planetary SimCity/FPS stuff.

Plus no ridiculous lag monster stalking you.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2012, 07:40:12 pm »

Those screen shots don't leave me excited for the game... I know it's a rough prototype but um, MEH.

And I'm also sorry to hear that he is no longer the hard sci fi route, that framework, could have had offer a lot of interesting gameplay and interesting meaningful choices.
No see, that's the entire point of ditching hard scifi: it literally was not interesting gameplay - even running around felt wrong.

The game is sooo early in development to the point where he's just getting a model editor in place now, so it's almost impossible to judge what's going on in it.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2012, 09:47:08 pm »

The operating system is giving me a Commodore 64 flashback. I wonder if any games will be hidden inside them, like Boulderdash.
There isn't an 'operating system,' you will have to program that yourself. Just assembly. :)
Derp. It's been some time since I last booted it up.

to play...

I have to learn to program.

FU-
Code: [Select]
10 LOAD "COMMAND OVERRIDE V.B-12",8,1
20 RUN
30 SET CORE:REACTOR-POWER:x+1
40 PRINT, CENTER "♦♦♦ NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME. KEEP GOING ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS. ♦♦♦"
50 WAIT SECONDS:5
60 CLEARSCREEN
70 WAIT SECONDS:5
80 GOTO 30

Enjoy the last moments of your ship before the reactor eventually reaches meltdown as it keeps on reassuring everyone that it's fine. :P

EDIT:
A side-thought: Has anyone ever thought of making DF texture packs based on the systems of olde like the good ol' Commodore 64/128? Even with the classic color schemes.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:10:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2012, 09:56:07 pm »

Huh. Looks like a Shores of Hazeron but with more emphasis on the ship and exploration and less of the planetary SimCity/FPS stuff.

Plus no ridiculous lag monster stalking you.

Plus AI that wont crash into the sun.

Wait, you have to code the AI yourself?

*static*
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11:07 pm »

There'll probably someone complaining you used GOTO, itnetlolor.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2012, 10:14:15 pm »

I was just going off memory of screwing around with my old machine way back. Sorta like
Code: [Select]
10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
20 GOTO 10

Of course, I was about 4 when I was doing stuff like this; so, sorta expected. Although, I was more using commands like GRAPHIC #, and then drawing CIRLCEs and such within the designated space.

EDIT:
That was more about coding in general, than the sheer dickishness of how I was using that command, right?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:29:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2012, 10:50:53 pm »

Is there anywhere I can find a tutorial on assembly?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2012, 11:10:33 pm »

The operating system is giving me a Commodore 64 flashback. I wonder if any games will be hidden inside them, like Boulderdash.

I hope we can play M.U.L.E.
I got nothing

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2012, 11:16:48 pm »

I think I'm going to have to get this. I wasn't terribly impressed with Minecraft, although I thought it was fun enough to warrant a few hours of play, but the singular idea of being able to code some kind of terrible, evil armageddon-virus that will spiral out of control and wipe out your ship an entire fleet of ships several planets the entire in-game universe will be too much for me to resist.

If it pans out that you can actually do those sorts of things, I mean. I'll check back on this once it's closer to completion. If Notch f**** it up maybe I'll just do it myself.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2012, 12:06:35 am »

I hope we can play M.U.L.E.

Or you could just go play it: http://www.planetmule.com/  :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2012, 01:42:01 am »

I think I'm going to have to get this. I wasn't terribly impressed with Minecraft, although I thought it was fun enough to warrant a few hours of play, but the singular idea of being able to code some kind of terrible, evil armageddon-virus that will spiral out of control and wipe out your ship an entire fleet of ships several planets the entire in-game universe will be too much for me to resist.

If it pans out that you can actually do those sorts of things, I mean. I'll check back on this once it's closer to completion. If Notch f**** it up maybe I'll just do it myself.
It's everything you could do with a regular computer. Such a super-virus can't happen simply because of the simplicity of the systems involved. The only way a virus or hack in general can infect a system is by exploiting a security hole found in software running on that system. There will be no code which is not user-generated, and as such there will be no OS or other program being run by everyone. This makes things more difficult because:
A. you will need a large array of attacks targeting a variety of exploits in commonly used software
B. if they are commonly used, they are likely more secure to begin with, as any vulnerabilities become evident in the field, and get more people reading through the code to ensure its safety
C. many users will write their own code, at least in part, on their own w/o sharing any of it; this may fall to an attack if it was poorly designed and falls into a common pitfall, but will be entirely immune to attacks targeting commonly used software
D. and all this assumes you even have enough access to interact with the computers; while they will have radio, most ships will probably have all but comms on a closed-system which is entirely inaccessible, and most programs probably won't even care about the radio, as it doesn't relate to them

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2012, 03:21:36 am »

1:Make awesome and really useful program.

2: leave backdoor.

3: profit.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2012, 04:48:22 am »

1:Make awesome and really useful program.

2: leave backdoor.

3: profit.

Great, now I'm going have to gain a few skills in coding-fu to make sure I won't have to use other peoples' programs.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Fiskav

« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2012, 05:57:33 am »

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:11:47 am by Fiskav »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2012, 06:10:24 am »

We'll see how much it's worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43