Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107958 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2012, 11:08:56 am »

It doesn't seem like it would be too much of a problem. It'll be difficult to remotely send viruses to other ships as they'll likely have the most basic of filters to only let text messages through. You would mostly only get then when trying out strange programs to control your ship.

Not a problem.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2012, 11:10:24 am »

It seems pretty obvious that, yes, there would be some kind of protection in place from letting the code go truly wild.

That said, now that I think of it, serious issues will arise from letting people actually code things in a multiplayer game unless the code is well and truly made impotent.

It'll only be a matter of time until some griefer with a working knowledge of basic code structure figures out how to create an infinite loop despite any restrictions placed on such attempts.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:54 am »

in the faq notch said that infinite loops are perfectly possible and there's nothing stopping you from doing them.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2012, 11:33:17 am »

I'm not sure if that means that he simply doesn't understand the consequences in multiplayer, or he's put some kind of stopgap measure in place (i.e., infinite loops are possible but are limited to x cycles/second or somesuch).

If he's just allowing them full-steam, well... that's dumb.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2012, 11:36:16 am »

I shouldn't tell you this, but if a computer is told to divide by 0, it'll explode.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:23 am »

Distributed modular ships and viruses that rearrange them into giant dicks.

Game of the year.
Shoes...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2012, 11:41:45 am »

I shouldn't tell you this, but if a computer is told to divide by 0, it'll explode.

It's one thing to implement error handling that'll prevent players from crashing the game by means of producing code errors. That's fairly easy.

It's entirely another thing to say 'oh sure infinite loops yay' and then prevent griefers from bringing entire servers down via lag.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2012, 11:44:52 am »

each virtual cpu is of a fixed speed of 100khz.

an infinite loop inside the virtual computer won't do anything to the main game.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2012, 11:53:35 am »

each virtual cpu is of a fixed speed of 100khz.

an infinite loop inside the virtual computer won't do anything to the main game.

Ah, there we go. That makes sense, then.

It could still be broken, though. Assuming it's possible to create self-replicating computers.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2012, 02:02:32 pm »

So I've got a thought experiment for you guys (partially because I have a small stake in it, even if I probably won't go back to that project for a while).

How DO you fund a truly MMO-based game like this, if not by a monthly fee?  I mean, what on earth do you charge for?  Pay-to-win sucks, and "you only buy it once" is a great way to bring down the game's servers in a real hurry once new players stop signing up.

Let's be generous and say that an average player uses $0.50 per month in bandwidth and amortized CPU costs, and that advertising costs and pay for the devs are fairly minimal.  What kind of payment scheme can you use, which guarantees an average income of like $6.00 per player per year?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2012, 02:06:50 pm »

Guildwars used the "buy once, play free" method, and stayed online for a long time. Of course, they charged money for the expansions, which might have helped.

Could you also define pay-to-win? Are you talking about low level-caps for free players, or just things like experience boosts that you pay money for?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »

Charge them $6.00/year.

Any particular reason you need to do a monthly subscription? A 1 payment/year subscription seems more manageable, and users would probably be a lot less hesitant to pay $6 for a year's worth of a game (not much of a loss if you don't like it) than to sign up for a monthly subscription, which is a much bigger hassle.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2012, 02:28:50 pm »

Pay-to-win often goes hand-in-hand with free-to-play.  A P2W system is any system where the whole game is theoretically open to you, but real monies give you more XP, better weapons, more actions-per-day, stuff like that.  If it's level caps for free players, that's practically the shareware model.  Guess it works though...yeah that could work pretty well.  But do you pay once to break the level cap, or do you have to subscribe?  Also, what if your game has no levels?

Ehh, I'd be leery of "pay for a year of service", because A] players might feel like oh, I /bought/ this game and now they are taking it away...just because they have had it without consciously paying for a long time.  And B] it's a huge risk for the company, because you get a lot of subscribers up front and then a year later, when they all come up for resubscription, you don't know if your resubscription rate is going to be 50% or 5%.

In a game like 0x10^c, the 'pay for expansions' model doesn't work because it's kind of an open world, right?  I mean...where is the expansion even going to go?

Here's what Puzzle Pirates does, and it kinda works.  In a very simplified nutshell: Anyone can serve on a ship, but only people who pay can own a ship, or captain a ship that their guild owns.  They actually have two types of servers: one that divides it up by subscription (pay $x/month and get eveyrthing), and one that divides it up by microtransactions and special currency (pay $x for *10, pay *10 to get this subset of paid rights for a month, and you can trade your *s to other players for normal game currency).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2012, 03:11:31 pm »

I think that a $6 yearly thing could be something somebody like me would think of doing.

I understand that upkeep is necessary for a unified MMO server, but I sincerely hope that other servers are allowed.
(What if I am lucky and a nearby business discards a big set of obsolete rackmount servers and i get a good deal on a fancy Internet connection? Can I run an extra-small galaxy for friends!?)

In addition, I would feel much less stupid paying an up-front fee for a year of use of a multiplayer server than I would paying monthly fees.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2012, 03:16:47 pm »

Heck, make it $30 a year. I could probably do that price, and that means more money for the devs.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43