Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107918 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2012, 12:22:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hear hear! The only think dampening my excitement is the idea of monthly fees (and, of course, everyone's issues with the Minecraft devcycle resulting in slow unfocusedness). I don't play paid-for games I can't say I have FINISHED paying for.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2012, 12:28:49 pm »

Until you can buy and sell gametime as a "commodity", video game consumers are not being commercialized.

We are already close to that. There are already sites that do it (MIND you they arn't so bad... they have a ton of games for you to play).
Hence the "until". It's going to happen eventually, but it's not happening right now.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2012, 01:13:07 pm »

Guys, you can stop bashing the monthly fee. That's for an optional persistent multiplayer universe. Single player will be a single payment for what will probably be an enjoyable sandbox.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2012, 01:34:33 pm »

While I certainly find programs like Minecraft and Blockade Runner enjoyable, I think it would do them a disservice to refer to them in their current states as "games".  Perhaps the reaction would be less acerbic if they marketed themselves as building toys first and games second, as this seems to be the function at which they're most adept.  They realize something we've all thought about--the potential for the application of computers to products like LEGO, which have grown increasingly irrelevant as they focus more and more on gimmicks and IP tie-ins.  While programs like Terraria and Ace of Spades might be better games and we can rag on Notch all day for being pompous, unprofessional, and having a terrible fanbase, we can't deny that he made this program before we did, and that since then we haven't been able to produce a more complete "LEGO-sim" (for lack of a better word) than he has.  The only substantive criticism I can level at his development process is that he really should release the source code once he loses interest.  Unfortunately I think he is reluctant to open source as Minecraft is the cash-cow keeping the bloated money-sink that is Mojang afloat (he really needs to trim the fat by firing everyone who isn't a programmer).

This idea might be entertaining if he drops the MMO/subscription model as he is in no way competent enough to run one, but only time will tell.

They represent the commercialization of the actual people who play games themselves.

They are also painfully boring and unoriginal, but that is neither here nor there.
What? You mean people other than developers/publishers/"journalists" making money of video games? In a game like minecraft where even the base game is a confusing mess for a new player I don't see how instructional videos are "The worst aspects of the video gaming community." Especially in the light of the recent ME3 drama and most major gaming journalists turning on their readers like rabid attack dogs, the whole Jennifer Helper hate mail campaign that recently occurred, the rampant homophobia/racism endemic in the gaming community, etc.

I mean, going by what you said, surely people who play in organised competitions or leagues are MUCH worse, because they're doing nothing but playing the game. Yogscast at least create content. Startcraft/Street fighter players literally just play the game. So how are Yogscast worse exactly?
Most of the hate directed at Hepler was over bad writing (note: there are two mistakes in the video--at 4:00 the image to which he shows is not M.I.T.H. but an unrelated book and at 4:37 he cites the "old white guys" quote which is often falsely attributed to Hepler).  It was EA, IGN, Kotaku, and other advertising sites that decided to smear any criticism as the product of homophobia and racism.  The majority of the gaming community is older, intelligent, and well-educated, but for some reason gaming media still belittles us at every turn, as the stranglehold on publications means that gaming is one of the few industries where you can repeatedly insult your audience without repercussions.

As for Yogscast, while I personally don't enjoy their work it's no excuse for the way Notch treated them.

Guys, you can stop bashing the monthly fee. That's for an optional persistent multiplayer universe. Single player will be a single payment for what will probably be an enjoyable sandbox.
We're aware of this.  We just think that given the inevitably glitchy and unfinished nature of the game it would be more suited to player-run servers akin to Minecraft than a Mojang-run central server.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2012, 02:01:24 pm »

http://ldd.lego.com/ Yeah, Notch definatly made the only lego-sim! :P

I agree with you completely about Minecraft being a toy rather than a game, that's definatly true. But how can you not find fault with the development process when he was making a game, and instead made a toy?

(Also I know most of the hate Helper got was about her being terrible at her job, but she did still receieve death threats and such, the point I was making that there are objectively MUCH worse things about the gaming community that some dudes making videos on youtube)

Guys, you can stop bashing the monthly fee.

No. No I can't.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2012, 02:14:21 pm »

Yeah, screw notch and his inability to turn out a perfect game instantly, and his generally congenial attitude to people and his minor PR foibles after he turned from just a guy with a beard to internet media sensation among his followers.

Also, screw Bioware for some reason... I don't know... cause... story shouldn't be in a game I guess? How'd we get on Bioware?

Also Yogscast are terrible people, as are, in general, all goons. There. Said it.

New game might be good, might not. We're all just speculating wildly here at the moment. We do have a (very short) track record to go on, but really, can't judge one game on another's merits or faults.

Now, with all of that said, I'm probably going to avoid the growing hostility in this thread, at least until we know more about the game it is about.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2012, 02:25:24 pm »

Yeah, screw notch and his inability to turn out a perfect game instantly, and his generally congenial attitude to people and his minor PR foibles after he turned from just a guy with a beard to internet media sensation among his followers.

Also, screw Bioware for some reason... I don't know... cause... story shouldn't be in a game I guess? How'd we get on Bioware?

Also Yogscast are terrible people, as are, in general, all goons. There. Said it.

New game might be good, might not. We're all just speculating wildly here at the moment. We do have a (very short) track record to go on, but really, can't judge one game on another's merits or faults.

Now, with all of that said, I'm probably going to avoid the growing hostility in this thread, at least until we know more about the game it is about.

It's not judging a game based on another, it's judging a developers track record and using that to make assumptions about how their future games will turn out. Not such a leap when they specifically say "im making this game the same way I made my last one!" Minecraft has been out for 3 years, it's still a buggy broken mess. I can't honestly think of a single feature in the game portion of it that's complete.

(unrelated comments about things noone has mentioned in an attempt to troll/leaving because it's too hostile)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2012, 02:34:08 pm »

Alright, so:

Could someone explain to me in full detail what the hell happened to cause this giant divide between Notch-Supporters and Notch-Haters? I dropped out of the Minecraft community for about half a year, and when I came back there was this giant polarized fight going on that no one has ever explained to me.

Well it's rather simple really.

1. Notch made Minecraft and is elevated to the position of god in the eyes of some people.
2. Notch however, is in no way god.
3. Notch takes ages releasing new updates for minecraft, when they are released they're small and pathetic or taken from mods.
4. Notch is generally awful at PR.
5. Notch throws "minecon" Where afterwards he gets drunk and attacks the yogscast, who paid to go there and be celebrities, oh he also sold their rights to IGN and attacked them while they were on a plane in the middle of the fucking atlantic ocean.
6. While this isn't really Notch's fault, every game he tweets basically has the minecraft community jump onto it, the minecraft community being a hive of scum and villainy.
Much simpler than that

1. Notch made Minecraft, a game that ballooned beyond anything anybody expected.
2. There was nothing built to support this thing so it quickly got beyond his scope of expertise. It's hard to handle games of this massive size unless you have worked professionally on them before.
3. People begin to grow antsy when minecraft development slips while he establishes a company to handle it/gets married/delegates people to handle the community.
4. A few updates later where people don't get exactly what they want a general hate is developed.
5. Several overblown PR disasters later where people get their panties in burning twists over minor things it becomes a common feeling.

He isn't the best qualified guy to work on the things he works on, but the hate and mistrust is overblown.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »

Also anybody that dares to charge for server upkeep must be satan.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2012, 02:52:18 pm »

Straw-man fight is it? En-guarde:

1) Notch descended from the heavens and birthed the greatest piece of entertainment software mankind will ever see
2) Some meanie-faces hate him because they were envious of his manly 20ft schlong and fancy hat.
3) Notch gives everyone free cake and icecream. Magically solves world hunger and overpopulation. Solves all wars with his "quake3 live" conflice resolution method.
4) People still hate him because they are meanie-faces and no reason other than that at all.

Seriously though, I'm kind of baffled how you find it so hard to understand that many people are unsatisfied with Notch's development style, and the way Minecraft turned out. For an example, you have to goto a wiki to play the game. No game designed this side of the 90's should require you to goto an external source to understand basic concepts within the game. This isn't even something that Notch didn't adress. He just did such a poor job that it was useless, abandoned it, and started adding in something else. The mistrust is most definatly deserved.

Also anybody that dares to charge for server upkeep must be satan.

It's more that I'm worried that Mojang as a company wont be able to handle the logistics of something like this. I've no problem for him charging for server use if he's running an MMO... But MMOs have billing departments and customer service people. I don't think Notch's development style of "give it a go, if it doesn't work just ignore it and start something else" Will really pan out in this situation.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2012, 02:54:59 pm »

I'm personally more worried about Notch's ability to write a multiplayer game with any form of security. Minecraft still gets hacked basically all the time, and has had years old major bugs (NPCs have never worked correctly) that an external team has had to tackle now (The Bukkit guys are fixing it for their 1.3 release of MC)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2012, 02:57:14 pm »

I'm personally more worried about Notch's ability to write a multiplayer game with any form of security. Minecraft still gets hacked basically all the time, and has had years old major bugs (NPCs have never worked correctly) that an external team has had to tackle now (The Bukkit guys are fixing it for their 1.3 release of MC)

You don't understand dude, it's not his fault. Just give him your money and shush about that because it's mean. ;)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2012, 03:19:28 pm »

Can't you guys start a separate "hate on Notch/Minecraft" thread? I want information on this new project, not to read rehashed arguments from all sides of some other issue :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2012, 03:20:48 pm »

Can't you guys start a separate "hate on Notch/Minecraft" thread? I want information on this new project, not to read rehashed arguments from all sides of some other issue :P
There is no information. This is literally all there is to it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:31 pm »

There is no information. This is literally all there is to it.
But every time someone posts "notch sux lolzors" and someone responds "no u roflmao", this thread pops up in my unread posts list and I get all excited :P

Besides, if this little spat isn't nipped in the bud now, do you really think it'll stop once there actually is information and screenies and stuff?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43