Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107880 times)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2012, 05:58:33 am »

I'm wondering if the computers will have support for any languages like C++, or if it'll all be in assembly and we have to write our own or delegate coding to the crazy guys who speak in numbers
Problem? Any compiler will do. U know that compiling a high level language like c++ is all about using linker to translate it into asm (virtual machine langs like java are a little different because of doing some code->asm translation inline)? Damn, with a way c is linked you can write main function as table of asm function codes.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2012, 06:52:27 am »

Sounds awesome. I love games that will let me automate anything. Its not the end, its the means thats fun.

From what I read, It doesnt look like "electronic warefare" in the sence of viruses and such, but of more standard ship-to-ship warefare, with computers having the capability to automate some things. No doubt malicious software will be written though...

Some responses act like this game is some sort of sell-out or cash cow, to ride minecraft's success. No doubt Notch's fame will help the game, but if I was going to make a game that appeals-to-the-masses, I wouldnt center it around programming 16bit computers...

The pricing model is a bit old, but then again I dont think this game is targetting the standard MMO audience. I detest the standard MMO formula, but am still looking forward to a MMO without the level 'n loot formula (hoping this doesnt go that way - but from reading the description its not impossible).

As for ingame software piracy, It makes perfect sence. Actual pirate ships looting programs, program black market. Awesome.

In the mean time, I will add this to my games-to-watch list. I will continue to drool over Blockade Runner, and continue to wish that Garry's Mod wasn't so slow and broken. (oh god if Garrys Mod wasnt so slow and broken...)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have great confidence in this man.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2012, 10:45:40 am »

What? Programmin programs ingame and monthly fees. Mayby I'll pass.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2012, 10:56:17 am »

It looks pretty awesome, but i dislike the monthly fee.
Anyway, i may try it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2012, 11:08:35 am »

Yeah, if I had to guess I"m going to say less electronic warfare and more. "Uh oh, enemy ship." *Starts program "Battlestations" Which dims lights, powers up weapons and shields.* or *Starts program "silent running", which shuts down everything except life support and starts up the cloak.*

Or perhaps we'll just be writing programs to make the doors open automatically with a nifty wooshy sound. *finger to ear.* what's that? minecraft already has that?... oh...

Honestly, there's not enough info to go on to make and sound judgments yet. It could be great. It could be meh. I think even notch isn't sure what will or won't be in the game. Personally, just based on what we know, I think the setting is a bit questionable. Why would he choose that late in the universal timeline to start a game? All for an elaborate programming joke?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2012, 11:12:29 am »

How will in game software piracy be handled? Will there be a pirate bay where people meet up for free software for their ship? Do you think people who pirate the actual game will be more likely to pirate in game software?
0x10^c forums, anybody?

Yo i made an awesome automatic game player, just copy this into your cp!
everybody: :D

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:35 am »

Alright, so:

Could someone explain to me in full detail what the hell happened to cause this giant divide between Notch-Supporters and Notch-Haters? I dropped out of the Minecraft community for about half a year, and when I came back there was this giant polarized fight going on that no one has ever explained to me.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:49 am »

Alright, so:

Could someone explain to me in full detail what the hell happened to cause this giant divide between Notch-Supporters and Notch-Haters? I dropped out of the Minecraft community for about half a year, and when I came back there was this giant polarized fight going on that no one has ever explained to me.

Well it's rather simple really.

1. Notch made Minecraft and is elevated to the position of god in the eyes of some people.
2. Notch however, is in no way god.
3. Notch takes ages releasing new updates for minecraft, when they are released they're small and pathetic or taken from mods.
4. Notch is generally awful at PR.
5. Notch throws "minecon" Where afterwards he gets drunk and attacks the yogscast, who paid to go there and be celebrities, oh he also sold their rights to IGN and attacked them while they were on a plane in the middle of the fucking atlantic ocean.
6. While this isn't really Notch's fault, every game he tweets basically has the minecraft community jump onto it, the minecraft community being a hive of scum and villainy.
Blargh.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:45 am »

Well, I'm certainly no fan of the Yogscast myself, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. They're a prime example of some of the worst aspects of the gaming community.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2012, 11:38:14 am »

Guys you do know that the single player has no recurring fees right?

The fact that he's planning on putting out recurring fees for multiplayer makes me wary. It makes the game feel like it's a good idea that's being built in the direction of the money, rather than what's good and fun for the community. I know servers cost to run and support, and I'd be fine with an "Official" paid server or two, but outright saying that he plans to charge monthly fees on the day he announces the project makes me worry.

I'm not saying that the world will end because he's charging monthly fees for a feature, or that the game will be bad because of it. I hope it's a good game and that I'm proven wrong, but warning signs start going off in my head when a fairly rich developer makes it seem like money is the goal, not a good, fun game. The "monthly fee" part stands out a more than the other features in my eyes.

I'm probably overreacting, but that's how I feel.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2012, 11:42:19 am »

Well, I'm certainly no fan of the Yogscast myself, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. They're a prime example of some of the worst aspects of the gaming community.

What? Do you like never play games online or something? How are they even remotely close to the worst aspects of the gaming community (publishers and reviewers, hyuk hyuk :P).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2012, 11:43:33 am »

What? Do you like never play games online or something? How are they even remotely close to the worst aspects of the gaming community (publishers and reviewers, hyuk hyuk :P).
They represent the commercialization of the actual people who play games themselves.

They are also painfully boring and unoriginal, but that is neither here nor there.
No Gods, No Masters.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2012, 11:44:47 am »

Until you can buy and sell gametime as a "commodity", video game consumers are not being commercialized.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2012, 11:55:36 am »

They represent the commercialization of the actual people who play games themselves.

They are also painfully boring and unoriginal, but that is neither here nor there.

What? You mean people other than developers/publishers/"journalists" making money of video games? In a game like minecraft where even the base game is a confusing mess for a new player I don't see how instructional videos are "The worst aspects of the video gaming community." Especially in the light of the recent ME3 drama and most major gaming journalists turning on their readers like rabid attack dogs, the whole Jennifer Helper hate mail campaign that recently occured, the rampant homophobia/racism endemic in the gaming community, etc.

I mean, going by what you said, surely people who play in organised competitions or leagues are MUCH worse, because they're doing nothing but playing the game. Yogscast at least create content. Startcraft/Street fighter players literally just play the game. So how are Yogscast worse exactly?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:04:26 pm by fenrif »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2012, 11:57:22 am »

Until you can buy and sell gametime as a "commodity", video game consumers are not being commercialized.

We are already close to that. There are already sites that do it (MIND you they arn't so bad... they have a ton of games for you to play).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43