Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107895 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2012, 10:40:41 pm »

That needs to go deeper. Emulate something in that emulator in that ingame computer thing.

As for monthly fees, I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I was never once interested in paying monthly fees to play.

The best publicity stunt Notch could ever do: First thing he does with the computers once they're in is to simulate Minecraft on them.

Okay, may or may not be a good idea for publicity, but COULD YOU IMAGINE?!

Oh and for people saying that the idea of a computer simulated in a computer game is new... No, it's not. Not only is there Wiremod as mentioned already, but I point you to ComputerCraft. Yes, that's a minecraft mod that implements a fully programmable LUA-based computer in minecraft.

Not that that makes the concept of 0x10^c any less attractive, but just, you know, don't give Notch originality credit he doesn't deserve.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2012, 10:44:44 pm »

The issue is that people never really answered one thing. What is the point of these computers?

I predict it will be a pointless gimic that adds nothing to the game.

Hense why I always ignored it.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:56 pm »

The issue is that people never really answered one thing. What is the point of these computers?

I predict it will be a pointless gimic that adds nothing to the game.

Hense why I always ignored it.

If you mean the point of the computercraft mod in minecraft, well... Yes, I'd have to agree, its mostly a gimmick. But a cool gimmick for people who like to automate stuff even more than what things like Buildcraft and Repower allow.

If you mean the computers in this new game notch is making, only time will tell!
<@Akroma> eh

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2012, 11:00:12 pm »

I was interested in the back story (It's actually a good one - Programming mistake throws you trillions of years into the future!), and then I read about the monthly fee for the "Multiverse", which I assume is what they're calling multiplayer.

I immediately lost interest.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2012, 11:54:40 pm »

I expect these in-game computers to be extremely limited, else they'd choke the server.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2012, 12:08:52 am »

I expect these in-game computers to be extremely limited, else they'd choke the server.

Well they're 16 bit, so they are pretty damn limited. But they should be enough to help run a ship with just one person, or mind a robot mining operation.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2012, 12:16:29 am »

Guys you do know that the single player has no recurring fees right?
Anyway, the multiplayer is interesting, but I really am not looking forward to it because I feel Notch is biting off more than he can chew. No doubt that the forced success of Minecraft will mean the forced success of this new game.

No, Notch doesn't innovate, he perfects (or attempts to). Every game he has created is interesting and cool, but none of it is unique and never seen before. I think people like Minecraft and Notch because he created something that realized the potential of a genre that never really took off until he made the genre take off.

Still, gonna keep an eye on the game. Let's see if he can recreate his success. I want this game to succeed.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2012, 12:27:15 am »

Well they're 16 bit, so they are pretty damn limited. But they should be enough to help run a ship with just one person, or mind a robot mining operation.
Even 16 bit is extremely expensive when one considers hundreds of emulated computers on a servers. I expect this will be solved by making their speed on scale of seconds per calculation rather than the reverse.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2012, 01:17:26 am »

Having written games based on simulating user-programmed robots, I can say that they're really not that bad.  And if Notch is making it subscription based, he'll certainly have the hardware to handle it.

A thousand computers, running a thousand operations per second?  Oh boy, you're simulating 1MHz.  Very do-able, for a reasonably crowded star system.  While I could imagine problems with more ships than that, well, at that point it's the physics (and the rendering!) that will slow you down...not the computers.

As for the use of the computers, personally I expect autopilots and automated targeting systems.  I would be heavily disappointed with even the slightest bit less, and in fact plan to write those on the first day.

Ideally, your processing speed and RAM is heavily based on upgrading your ship.  Start out with 1 Hz and 64 bytes and go from there.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2012, 01:37:26 am »

I guess whether computers will play an important role or not at this point depends on what the computer can interface with and to what extent. As in, for an autopilot, you could have a rudimentary one with the computer simply connected to the omni-directional thrusters or whatnot and loading a starmap from memory, but for an autopilot that can evade dynamic obstacles without player intervention, the computer would need access to a rather sophisticated radar system (one that possibly sends the data of all detected obstacles as a list of vectors or somesuch). So the question is, will there be such radars and other such sophisticated systems the computer can make use of, or will it just end up being a fancy calculator that the player still has to input all the variables into and manage the output from?
<@Akroma> eh

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2012, 01:49:34 am »

The ultimate question is indeed that, how much hardware we can mess with and how accessible they are. Hopefully hardware gets the same treatment as the computers, which seem to be beyond my scope of understanding.

Feel free to point out how he has already shot himself in the foot with some minor technical detail you take issue with.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2012, 02:33:18 am »

Inb4 people send requests/input that cause  other programs to divide by 0 and freeze up. 05.April.2012, called it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2012, 02:59:28 am »

I'm wondering if the computers will have support for any languages like C++, or if it'll all be in assembly and we have to write our own or delegate coding to the crazy guys who speak in numbers
Shoes...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2012, 03:05:40 am »

I'm wondering if the computers will have support for any languages like C++, or if it'll all be in assembly and we have to write our own or delegate coding to the crazy guys who speak in numbers
If it exists, someone can write a compiler for it. I'm sure there's plenty of people who know how to code stuff up for higher level languages in assembly.

Of course the assembly code will probably dominate others in performance and so i can imagine there'll be a lot of just copying code written by other players going on. In electronic warfare, splitseconds will hopefully matter :D

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2012, 05:23:07 am »

How will in game software piracy be handled? Will there be a pirate bay where people meet up for free software for their ship? Do you think people who pirate the actual game will be more likely to pirate in game software?

It'll be amusing to see just what people will do with this. It'll be like redstone contraptions in space!
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43