Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107853 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »

Yeah, we've got, what, two subscription MMOs still alive?  WoW is slowly bleeding and I'm not sure how well Rift is doing.  They can't seriously hope to pull that off.
Shoes...

Freak

• Bay Watcher
  • World's Deadliest Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2012, 05:20:04 pm »

Whatever did happen to the Block based Space minecraft someone was already making? did it already fail?

If you mean Blockade Runner, it's still very much alive.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2012, 05:20:45 pm »

Quote from: From the site
The cost of the game is still undecided, but it's likely there will be a monthly fee for joining the Multiverse as we are going to emulate all computers and physics even when players aren't logged in. Single player won't have any recurring fees.

It's under A New Game.
Well, that's a facepalm on my part. I was looking at the bulleted lists.
In that case, I really hope they drop that. I can't really do subscription-based gaming.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2012, 05:37:31 pm »

I'm sorry, but let's not use Blockade Runner as a positive example. A 6 person team after all of this time is *almost* done with the initial ship editor. No gameplay at all as of yet. Yes, great ideas for gameplay, but no progress.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:10 pm »

I'm sorry, but let's not use Blockade Runner as a positive example. A 6 person team after all of this time is *almost* done with the initial ship editor. No gameplay at all as of yet. Yes, great ideas for gameplay, but no progress.
Well, not only are they an Indie Team with limited funding, but they have been working on it for only a year so far. Ship editor looks fairly complex, actually.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2012, 05:53:21 pm »

On the contrary I was going to use it as a negative example as I thought the game was scrapped.

I am quite glad it is still around. As well until Blockade runner charges a SINGLE cent... It gets some leeway with how long it is taking.

Which they did! So criticism AHOY
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:11:09 pm by Neonivek »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2012, 07:03:58 pm »

Hmm, what's with all the sci-fi games with hard to pronounce/read names? First VVVVVVV, and now this! I feel like there is something else that is slipping my mind, as well.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2012, 07:08:23 pm »

Hmm, what's with all the sci-fi games with hard to pronounce/read names? First VVVVVVV, and now this! I feel like there is something else that is slipping my mind, as well.

What is with all the medieval games with craft in their title?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 07:09:17 pm »

What is with all the medieval games with craft in their title?
Starcraft is medieval?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 07:48:30 pm »

The cost of the game is still undecided, but it's likely there will be a monthly fee for joining the Multiverse as we are going to emulate all computers and physics even when players aren't logged in. Single player won't have any recurring fees.

My theory?  Notch noticed the cottage industry of Minecraft-oriented rent-a-servers you can find all over the Internet now, and is wondering why he's not getting a piece of that action.  Notice that those outlets are doing fairly well for themselves.

Not only do I not expect Notch to drop the subscription-multiplayer, I expect he will drop unsubscribed-singleplayer.  At least for a year or two until he moves onto his next project.

I'm being more snide than I honestly predict, but it's still hard for me to look at Notch, and not see a half-assed programmer who suddenly found himself swimming in money, and thinks its his artistic genius and sparkling personality that got him there.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 07:58:15 pm »

My theory?  Notch noticed the cottage industry of Minecraft-oriented rent-a-servers you can find all over the Internet now, and is wondering why he's not getting a piece of that action.  Notice that those outlets are doing fairly well for themselves.

Not only do I not expect Notch to drop the subscription-multiplayer, I expect he will drop unsubscribed-singleplayer.  At least for a year or two until he moves onto his next project.

I'm being more snide than I honestly predict, but it's still hard for me to look at Notch, and not see a half-assed programmer who suddenly found himself swimming in money, and thinks its his artistic genius and sparkling personality that got him there.
Yea, I too also see Notch as the Stephany Myers of the video game world.

I mean, Minecraft is a pretty fun time killer, but a lot of that wasn't his work original work. It was a spring board that he manage to make a few adjustments/changes and got lucky with popularity.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2012, 08:27:36 pm »

Yeah, we've got, what, two subscription MMOs still alive?  WoW is slowly bleeding and I'm not sure how well Rift is doing.  They can't seriously hope to pull that off.

Don't forget EVE Online... which notch's game will hopefully break my addiction from with any luck!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2012, 10:08:01 pm »

Don't forget EVE Online... which notch's game will hopefully break my addiction from with any luck!
If anything, EVE is growing. Of course, it does have a certain addictive ruthlessness to it that WoW and other MMOs seem to lack.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:13 pm »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Wiremod yet. Wiremod is a mod for Garry's mod that allows you to do all kinds of fun stuff with logic gates and whatnot. It also has ZCPU, which allows you to run assembly code in the game. http://wiki.wiremod.com/wiki/ZCPU/Features

It's been a really long time since I messed with wiremod. I basically learned to program with the Expression Chip, which is similar to ZCPU, but it's a much higher level language. Assembly still scares the crap out of me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 10:28:53 pm »

I get the same feeling.  He kind of reminds me of myself, somebody who focuses intensely on something for a few weeks or months, then suddenly thinks of something even cooler and can't even be bothered to look at the old thing, even if it's barely half done.  He was unlucky enough that one of his pet projects ended up being a massive hit so now he's got obligations he's too lazy to fulfill.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43