Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107808 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #570 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:58 am »

I've never understood why collector card video games are popular anyways.  The things always put me to sleep, no matter how they were managed.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 17, 2012, 06:10:49 pm »

I've never understood why collector card video games are popular anyways.  The things always put me to sleep, no matter how they were managed.

This. At least in real life they are something real to collect (I am still not a fan of collectable card games IRL though, they are just cardboard images to me). In a game, all you get is an image of a card and told "congrats". It really doesn't feel like you collected (or even accomplished) anything beyond simply setting some flag in a database somewhere.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 17, 2012, 06:18:28 pm »

I used to really enjoy them, until I finally started to dislike the "You gotta buy more to be competitive!  Buy Buy Buy!" feeling.

If they had a non-collectable card game with deck building I'd probably love it.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 17, 2012, 06:25:49 pm »

I like TCG's because you customize the entire composition of a deck with a myriad of cards, sure they're just images but they are all your playing pieces, I love to find interesting and unexpected uses of cards in conjunction with other cards. Sadly, I don't play them too often because I'm anti-social and most people just build flavor of the month cookie cutter decks and usually rule the earth with them. SO, I guess I should say I like TCG's in a fun casual way and competitive play just makes me sad.

On the topic of Scrolls, I swear I seen a card game somewhere that ripped* the entire premise (at least from the looks of the playing field), actually I think it incorporated TF2 characters, so It's probably on steam somewhere lol.

*I'm not screaming clonez, It's just easier to say it this way then beat around the bush

EDIT: It's called Heroes Academy, looks really similar to me but It kind of looks like it's an open board instead of 2 sides, hard to tell from the trailer.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:29:46 pm by Infuriated »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 17, 2012, 06:28:59 pm »

I always thought deck games kind of silly. I remember I tried the YuGiOhs, but I couldn't get into the competition. And those football collecting cards were just silly. The entire thing was just to buy more.

And I would probably have to learn the rudimentary features of whatever programming language the game employs for the month or two I actually pay the subscription for.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 17, 2012, 06:52:29 pm »

I used to really enjoy them, until I finally started to dislike the "You gotta buy more to be competitive!  Buy Buy Buy!" feeling.

If they had a non-collectable card game with deck building I'd probably love it.
Its not feasible business model. Everyone is correct, tcg is about buying more, but its not so much on the part of greed, but necessity.

The closest thing you have is maybe, maybe, Munkchin. Its not strictly collectible, but does have deck building. It does however follow the business model of tcg, that WotC set up in '94, causing the second great table top rpg crash.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 17, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »

Actually I take that back.  There's ONE TCG I almost got into.  It's for Gamecube and I'd have to look on my bookshelf to find the name of it.  Lost Kingdom?  You get cards, and you get 4 at a time in your hand.  But it plays in realtime, with a little girl in red running around the field using the cards to summon monsters or make attacks.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:43 pm »

Oh my God, when I was like ten I loved Yu-Gi-Oh.

It was just a quick phase, thankfully, especially since I sucked at the game.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 18, 2012, 02:18:11 am »

Why is everybody talking about MTG clones and not about MTG?
It's like the elephant in the room!

To the greed argument I'd say this:
You pay as much for MTG as you want.
Want to be world champion in Type 1? shell out about 15000$ for a deck.
Want to be champion in Type 2? only pay about 1000$ for a deck.
Want to just have fun once a month with friends? pay about 15$

On top of that, remember that they have to design the cards, playtest them and pay artists to illustrate. Then comes then printing and shipping.
The cards might be made of cardboard, but it's HQ cardboard. The pirate printers are not able to copy the cards in a way that a costumer can't tell the difference.

All that said, I don't know why you would make a collectible card game online, unless you already had the cards as a physical product.
I mean, the cards are a real-life solution, in a computer game you just don't need cards. you could use figurines to represent monsters, and tomes to represent spells. you could do away with all the pretence and abstractions.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 18, 2012, 02:45:23 am »

why not cut straight with all the pompous stuff and just have fun with a munchkin tournament?

no collectibles
no decks
no balance

only fun.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 18, 2012, 03:59:46 am »

The Rewarding Feeling for collecting, doesn't actually matter if the object you're collecting is physical or not.

So, there no real reason why a TCG can't work digitally.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 18, 2012, 04:30:54 am »

The Rewarding Feeling for collecting, doesn't actually matter if the object you're collecting is physical or not.

So, there no real reason why a TCG can't work digitally.
Except that most of us does not equate having a card in MTG online with having the actual card.
I have never met a casual MTG player that thought MTG online was a good idea. they all asked:
"so when do I get my cards?"
I'm met some semi-pro players that just can't get enough magic in the 8 hours a day they play it tabletop, so they have to play 6 more hours online...
But those a few and far between.

All that being said, I think Scrolls is planning to do a lot of randomizing and stuff with the cards, that would be impossible with an physical TCG.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 18, 2012, 05:36:48 am »

I wasn't talking about having the actual card, I was speaking about the act of collecting.  The collectible doesnt need to be physical.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:20 am »

Except that most of us does not equate having a card in MTG online with having the actual card.
I have never met a casual MTG player that thought MTG online was a good idea. they all asked:
"so when do I get my cards?"
I'm met some semi-pro players that just can't get enough magic in the 8 hours a day they play it tabletop, so they have to play 6 more hours online...
But those a few and far between.

Well, some people seem to be enjoying it (the people who play such online games, which is a reasonable number, and I doubt they are all "pro"), so they must think its a good idea.

Also, where on earth does anyone get 14 hours a day to play a card game?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 18, 2012, 08:10:49 am »

I can definitely tell you on account of Steam achievements - people will strive to collect digital items simply for the completist ideal set.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43