Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107802 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 10:44:33 am »

If space warfare was actually like that, people would just scrap computers, or at least remove the ability to wirelessly interact with other computers. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 10:45:21 am »

Ok my bad on the company worth, but it doesn't really change the fact that it's no longer a single dev studio with "indie charm" as a defense for things you'd expect from a single dev studio. The pricing model makes sense in order to stay profitable, because he can throw out a tech demo instead of a game and get paid for it with no real incentive to actually make a game. I don't think it's completely outside the realm of reason to suggest he make the game, flesh it out, make it fun to play, then start asking for money for it?

He has that model still. Just wait until the game is finished and decide if you want to pay retail for it. I am pretty sure most of the people who bought Minecraft would still buy it now, even at full retail, without any hesitation. True it's not what he originally envisioned, but it still turned out pretty good.

All of that being said, I'm not sure if I will be interested in the game. He may be a fine programmer, but I have yet to see any clever game design from him. His concepts are decent, but his execution is lacking imho.

I regret my purchase. Once mods are fully supported by Mojang, I may rethink that. This makes me very wary of anything Mojang does. I will probably ignore the company for awhile and then come back to this topic to compare release with the original goal list. Half that list is likely to be ignored.

A fair chunk of Mojang's millions is from toy-related sales to the under 16 year olds that seem to think Minecraft is the be all end all of gaming. /sigh

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 10:47:39 am »

Is this gonna turn into a Mojang/Minecraft hate thread? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 10:57:28 am »

Yes.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 11:52:38 am »

I don't think discussing the Mojang development process, pricing model, and past games (which this game is continuing with) is off-topic. Especially since at this point there's not much info on this besides "It'll be priced and made like minecraft, heres a list of things i might possibly try and get into the game if i can get round to it."

I regret my purchase. Once mods are fully supported by Mojang, I may rethink that. This makes me very wary of anything Mojang does. I will probably ignore the company for awhile and then come back to this topic to compare release with the original goal list. Half that list is likely to be ignored.

A fair chunk of Mojang's millions is from toy-related sales to the under 16 year olds that seem to think Minecraft is the be all end all of gaming. /sigh

I don't regret buying it (I got it when it was dirt cheap), but I don't know anyone who would pay 20 quid or whatever they're charging nowadays. The game is buggy and unfinished and definatly not stable or finished.

I love how people instantly jump at the BILLIONS OF DORRA COMPANY bangwagon, without actualy thinking about how much that represents on an economical scale.

Nitpicking aside, notch is going to use the same pricing model because it worked for him with minecraft. Even if people don't like it, notch got a lot of reliable practically confirmed buyers for this, he has the whole minecraft fanbase. Even if it doenst turn out to be a game worth half a dime, it'll still inevitably sell because it is going to capitalize on minecraft's fanbase (or rather, notch's fanbase).

As long as it sells, its a valid pricing model in an economical sense.

It's not a bandwagon, it's the expectation that a company with 80 million dollars could hire translators, or have a QA department, or fix the bugs in their game, or not try to present itself as some dude working out of his mums basement. I don't really know much about economics so please ellaborate on this economocal scale thing?

Noone said that the pricing model wasn't valid economically.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 12:39:46 pm »

My main problem with this, as well as Blockade Runner and that other game I can't quite remember the name of, is that they just seem to fall just that inch short of what I'm after.

"Spaceship Simulator" has been on the top of my most wanted list for a very long time, and I've tried/failed my own hand at concept many times in the past, but for whatever reason nobody ever really attempts this sort of thing, and the few times they do it just doesn't seem right.

I have the same opinion regarding in-game computers too.

Alright, so where does that final inch lie?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 12:41:42 pm »

It is pretty baffling that some of the MAJOR bugs have just been fixed by the new team (Bukkit guys hired onto Mojang) in the past month - stuff like the super-laggy SMP hit detection/pathfinding for mobs, ghosting entities, etcetera that have been in since basically the start of SMP. Notch is NOT a good programmer by any stretch, and perhaps worse: he lets boredom determine what he's working on. That is why I worry about this. Love the concept though, even if it reeks a bit of Derek Smart

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 12:57:53 pm »

If space warfare was actually like that, people would just scrap computers, or at least remove the ability to wirelessly interact with other computers.

Then how would you run the ship?  Manual gunnery is fine on a wetboat but when everything's flying around at several kilometers a second human reflexes aren't going to cut it, and that's not even considering all the other aspects of running a ship. 

What it comes down to is this:  No matter what you do, you have to take grave liberties with reality to make space combat cool and interesting.  I'm okay with taking grave liberties with reality, because space combat's cool.  I'm just predicting that electronic warfare will probably be the name of the game once quality viruses are widely available.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 01:05:42 pm »

Manual Gunnery made sense back when we thought we thought super computers of the future would be giant!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:42 pm »

Love the concept though, even if it reeks a bit of Derek Smart

Smartest thing said in this thread so far.

And no, that was not a pun.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 01:39:11 pm »

Sounds neat.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 02:26:22 pm »

Why do indie games have to have such pretentious names? Let's say I'm talking to my friend and want to tell him about this game. How the hell do I pronounce this? Zero Ex Ten Superscript-See? Zero Times Ten to the Power of the Speed of Light in a Vacuum? Couldn't he have just called it SpaceCraft?

This is as bad as VVVVVV.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »

I think it's supposed to be in hexadecimal, so you could call it "Sixteen to the power of twelve". I agree with you regarding the pretentiousness of some indie game titles.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 02:32:10 pm »

No it isn't, with VVVVVV you could at least be silly about the title. This is just a mess to pronouce.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 02:32:42 pm »

Why do indie games have to have such pretentious names? Let's say I'm talking to my friend and want to tell him about this game. How the hell do I pronounce this? Zero Ex Ten Superscript-See? Zero Times Ten to the Power of the Speed of Light in a Vacuum? Couldn't he have just called it SpaceCraft?

This is as bad as VVVVVV.

VVVVVV is a terrible name and you can't even pronounce it phonetically because it'll make your lip feel weird.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43