Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 108016 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2012, 04:36:24 pm »

I never did :D

Still, I suspect there will be some in-game examples to gleam off and TONS of community details available.  In fact, probably a lot of examples now.  Notch released the details of the in-game-code for people to get a head start, and I expect they did just that.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2012, 04:39:48 pm »

I hope it has an if-then language type thing. I got really good at the one in Rigidchips, and I could definitely make a mostly autonomous ship with just that alone by coding inputs to outputs.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2012, 07:43:57 pm »

I hope it has an if-then language type thing. I got really good at the one in Rigidchips, and I could definitely make a mostly autonomous ship with just that alone by coding inputs to outputs.

It's going to work in assembly. That might mean something to you.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2012, 07:45:26 pm »

Where might one learn a little bit about this so-called assembly?

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 20, 2012, 07:50:24 pm »

Where might one learn a little bit about this so-called assembly?

To beat a dead horse...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=learning+assembly+language

Assembly is, as far as I can tell, what you get when you compile your C++ or your Pascal or whatever. It can take advantage of its direct control of a computer to do some tricks that wouldn't be doable with other languages.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2012, 08:03:25 pm »

There's also a technical document on the site detailing the computer architecture and instruction set.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2012, 08:14:32 pm »

Yep, assembly, not including pseudo-instructions (which aren't relevant for this game anyway), has more or less a 1:1 conversion into machine code. Assembly languages are hardware-specific; as they represent the ISA (Instruction Set Architecture) of the hardware. Operations and such are pretty simple and have a fairly rigid syntax; typically of the form

label:
        opcode    $t1, $s1, $s2       #comment

where label is a label which can be used for jump (goto) commands,
opcode is a simple instruction name (for example: add, mov, j, jr, mul),
$t1 is typically the register being outputted to (though it varies based on opcode),
$s1 and $s2 are registers being read from
again, varies on opcode; some use less registers, though never more than 3, all comma separated
the pound sign # typically indicates a comment comes after

A register varies based on the architecture, but for CPUs is typically the size of the memory space the CPU is meant to operate on. For the DCPU, it's a 16 bit value. Assembly has no data types or objects or anything of that sort, just data. Additionally, the code it runs is also just data. The CPU has only a few registers, as on-chip memory access is really fast but takes up highly valuable real-estate. Thus the program must read from and write to RAM when loading or storing values before or after making use of them. As such, the concept of pointers to memory locations is important. For example, if you need to poke around in an array in RAM consisting of 100 values and have 8 registers, you must do pointer arithmetic with the array's location to get the elements in the array in such a way as to avoid requiring more registers than you have available.

Opcodes available and how exactly they work also depends on the architecture, though the DCPU's specs can be found on the site, as has been mentioned.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2012, 08:17:05 pm »

I'm wondering, is there a mmo-ish game that emulates an old-ish computer that can be programmed?
Notch got me kinda hyped.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2012, 08:22:53 pm »

It's not an MMO but you might be interested in Core Wars.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2012, 08:26:40 pm »

It's not an MMO but you might be interested in Core Wars.
For someone with basic programming skills, can you tell me the difficulty in 1 to 10?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2012, 08:37:51 pm »

Hrrm, 8?

It's very self-driven and not very intuitive.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2012, 08:49:05 pm »

Hrrm, 8?

It's very self-driven and not very intuitive.
Last question, how can i run it on win 7?
Or i'd better get a dosbox?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »

Ok so i've heard a little bit about weapons in game, but does anyone know how they'll be handled? IE) will they be turreted, or will we have to manuever our ships to fire?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 20, 2012, 10:04:53 pm »

I suspect that weapon mounts will be as varied as the options you could think of, but with a bit less intuition.  For instance, there may not be a "turret" mount, but there may be "rotation points" which can be built of arbitrary size.  You won't build "a turret" but you will build "three rotators with a gun on the end".  It will then fall to programing skills to get each rotator to work in tandem with the others and function as a turret.

Pure conjecture, of course, I have no proof for this, but if Notch is going to include 16 bit computers in the game itself, it wouldn't be surprising at all if most things are built from the most basic of parts to construct full pieces.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 20, 2012, 10:14:16 pm »

We do know that, according to Notch, the average ship will have 3 DCPUs. Based on that, I think Girlinhat's theory is at least plausible, if not the most likely scenario.

We've really got no clue yet though, so for all we know it could be Outlaw Star style grapplers (which btw would be AWESOME). All we can be pretty sure of is we will have to program it ourselves, whatever it is.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43