Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107984 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2012, 10:05:57 pm »

based on the screenshots, I'd say it might be like a 3d modelling program. He had polygon signs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2012, 10:09:18 pm »

I've only seen a few of Notch's products, but none of them have included anything cookie-cutter.  They follow rules, like "If the walls are solid and there is a door, then a bed works here." but there are no pre-set shapes to speak of.  Designing a ship is a bit more difficult than designing anything else though, as it ultimately must be done from a detached 3rd person view to really grasp what's happening, but I don't know.  If you were building the ship purely from the inside without a reliable overview or strategic grid, it would certainly make some very unique designs.  I imagine you would end up with something very similar to oldschool DF construction, where it works beautifully and amazingly as a fort, but once you toss it in a visualizer you end up with some strange shapes and unusual structures that couldn't be explained by conventional design, and only work in dwarven design.  Like building a massive, grand dining room with an extremely low ceiling.

On the actual gameplay though, I'm looking forward to one specific instance.  I'd like to rig a ship with computers all over, each set to react to events and transfer information.  Then, I want the ship to be struck by an asteroid or an attack or something, and for the ship to react according to its programming, right itself, damage control, and all the beautiful micromanagement automation that I never get to see anywhere else.

Mainly, it needs sudden events.  Minecraft is fun, and redstone is fun, and using mods that add logic gates is more fun, but ultimately nothing surprising happens in Minecraft and your solid castle walls will always be solid walls.  DF throws goblins, building destroyers, and untrapable creatures at you randomly, and the fort's reaction tolerances are what ultimately counts.  Similarly, a ship running smoothly will only be entertaining for so long.  You need unexpected explosions to make the design really shine.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 20, 2012, 06:48:11 am »

Can't wait to see what the "total freedom" (of shipbuilding) will produce...

(gets to building a ship with maybe 15 blocks facing front and 300 in the back, facing exactly towards the selected target at all times : P [hey there is a use for a onboard pc])

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2012, 02:05:33 pm »

Can't wait to see what the "total freedom" (of shipbuilding) will produce...

Phallic shaped Battle Fleets. You know its going to happen.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »

Stop lookin' at my design board :v

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2012, 02:07:37 pm »

Waiting for somebody to make this.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2012, 02:20:55 pm »

Darv, the words are so long they wont be able to fit the designations on ship. In other news i think im going to make something akin the to the mass effect's normandy, and god damn I hope I can make star fighters as well
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2012, 02:33:00 pm »

Robotic fighters! After you lose them all in mutual crashes, you'll finally appreciate the Protoss who designed those carriers :D
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 20, 2012, 02:44:56 pm »

When did the protoss have a carrier? Never seen someone use that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 20, 2012, 02:46:14 pm »

Not sure about SC2, but the first one it was their big ship.  Their battlecruiser, basically.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2012, 02:47:13 pm »

Hard science fiction. Update: GAH, NO! I'm focusing on fun gameplay instead. I still want to get corrected on glaring scientific errors, though.

lol

notch at his finest. don't expect much content this time, either.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 20, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »

Specific torpedo designs FTP (For The Phallus).

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2012, 03:39:30 pm »

Girlinhat, this is time to employ that aurora 4x experience...hopefully it doesnt take 300 yers to get magnetic containment engines

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2012, 04:05:45 pm »

Hopefully it does take 300 years.  After all, we've got several hundred trillion years out of the way.  Magnetic confinement was finished way long ago!

As for specific Aurora experience, I doubt much of that will apply.  I suspect a lot more of Minecraft experience will apply, specifically my dabbling with Buildcraft and logic pipes, as well as Logistics Pipes addon mod.  There's a lot of raw logic and computerization capable in the pipes and the redstone with the right mods.

I just need to learn how to program in 16 bit...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2012, 04:29:29 pm »

Well I dont wnat to go over binary basics but I suspect having used Gmod's wiremod may help
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 43