Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43

Author Topic: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space  (Read 107877 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: 0x10^c: Notch's Game In Space
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2012, 03:30:15 pm »

Straw-man fight is it?

Surely this mocking won't do us any good. And you keep on getting this wrong, I'm not saying Notch is great at what he does. Just that the fandom is terrible and I don't trust their opinions. When a major problem people had with the game was unattainable apples I don't see why I have to respect peoples beef with the game when it's that petty. I even respect the technical people who say parts of the game are kinda slapdash in how they are programmed because they have a valid point.

There is some meat behind having to resort to a wiki, but considering that he draws inspiration from previous projects(Wurm anybody?) it's a silly point. That's the kind of game it is. Let us smash roguelikes for being unfair in their level generation, it's obviously an oversight of the developer.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2012, 04:03:36 pm »

Can't you guys start a separate "hate on Notch/Minecraft" thread? I want information on this new project, not to read rehashed arguments from all sides of some other issue :P
There is no information. This is literally all there is to it.
But every time someone posts "notch sux lolzors" and someone responds "no u roflmao", this thread pops up in my unread posts list and I get all excited :P

Besides, if this little spat isn't nipped in the bud now, do you really think it'll stop once there actually is information and screenies and stuff?

Well, good news! Yesterday I saw a pic of a Basic compiler written for the architecture. I even think it was on Notch's twitter.

If you look on reddit (I feel dirty now) there are already some interpreters/compilers for the architecture out there.

EDIT:
Aaaaand just found an unofficial FAQ about the game, compiling all his tweets into a more readable form of text http://0x10.cc/
Also: Sceenshot! It looks frighteningly similar to Noctis. Just with a higher screen resolution.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:07:07 pm by Fredson »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2012, 04:32:18 pm »

Straw-man fight is it?

Surely this mocking won't do us any good. And you keep on getting this wrong, I'm not saying Notch is great at what he does. Just that the fandom is terrible and I don't trust their opinions. When a major problem people had with the game was unattainable apples I don't see why I have to respect peoples beef with the game when it's that petty. I even respect the technical people who say parts of the game are kinda slapdash in how they are programmed because they have a valid point.

There is some meat behind having to resort to a wiki, but considering that he draws inspiration from previous projects(Wurm anybody?) it's a silly point. That's the kind of game it is. Let us smash roguelikes for being unfair in their level generation, it's obviously an oversight of the developer.

Just because Wurm has shortcomings we can't criticise Minecraft for having those same shortcomings? Being unintentionally obtuse isn't a game genre, and as I said: Notch added the achivement system specifically to act as a tutorial for new players, he just didn't bother actually making it usefull or work to its intened purpose. This isn't something he wants, it's just something he can't be bothered fixing (or worse doesn't understand how to fix). If Minecraft is really specifically designed to be this way then that's even worse.

Noone in this thread was at any point talking about the fandom. I'm talking about reservations I have with the way Notch makes games and how they might affect this game, not the fandom. I think I've been pretty clear and fair in presenting my arguments. I still don't see why my mistrust is overblown.

From what you've said we can assume only people who can allready program computers can play it, since apparently Notch intentionally designs his new games to be hard to understand at the most basic level for new players, and apparently programming is going to be a pretty important part of 0x10^c. Good luck programming your spaceship to fly foward, better find a guide online and learn programming languages now before the game comes out!

This is one of the problems I have with the Minecraft pricing model. When you can sell your game as early as possible and add in features as you go, creating a usefull and worthwhile tutorial/help system isn't really important. Your players are all allready playing the game, they've all been on the wikis since day one, each time a new feature is added they only have to learn a new thing, so it's no big deal. Eventually you have a game with Potions and enchanting and the end and all these things that are never explained to the player, because everyone who allready bought your game learned them as they went. Since the people who are most vocal about this sort of thing will be the people who've allready given you money, you have no incentive to sort it out. New players are left to sink or swim.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:35 pm »

Can't you guys start a separate "hate on Notch/Minecraft" thread? I want information on this new project, not to read rehashed arguments from all sides of some other issue :P
There is no information. This is literally all there is to it.
But every time someone posts "notch sux lolzors" and someone responds "no u roflmao", this thread pops up in my unread posts list and I get all excited :P

Besides, if this little spat isn't nipped in the bud now, do you really think it'll stop once there actually is information and screenies and stuff?

Well, good news! Yesterday I saw a pic of a Basic compiler written for the architecture. I even think it was on Notch's twitter.

If you look on reddit (I feel dirty now) there are already some interpreters/compilers for the architecture out there.

EDIT:
Aaaaand just found an unofficial FAQ about the game, compiling all his tweets into a more readable form of text http://0x10.cc/
Also: Sceenshot! It looks frighteningly similar to Noctis. Just with a higher screen resolution.
Screenshot? Where?! Checking official site, fan site you linked, Notch's Twitter...not seeing it :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2012, 04:47:49 pm »

Screenshot? Where?! Checking official site, fan site you linked, Notch's Twitter...not seeing it :(

I'm not sure about image copyrights, or even if it is "real", but someone postet this on reddit. Looks legit to me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:41 pm »

old.

I posted that in the last thread.

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2012, 04:56:10 pm »

old.

I posted that in the last thread.

Oh, sorry, I just follow this one.
Now I hope this game will be what Noctis could have been (or should).

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2012, 05:17:17 pm »

I don't think the cheevo system was explicitly stated as being a player tutorial, it was simply an observation we made that would be a good place to put it. I still hold onto my roguelike example here, as your use of the term shortcomings has been met already. That's the style of game he wants to make, old-school things that don't hold your hands. Also see: La-mulana. Doesn't tell you what anything does, that's just the kind of game it is.

(When I say fandom I'm talking about all the players and the similar views that have been common within it. Also justification for my views on why this is all silly.)

And yeah, that kinda seems like how this is gonna go down. If you don't want to play that sort of game then you probably won't like this and are getting the wrong impression of what is being presented.

Surprise, Minecraft was made in a very different situation than what exists now. It was just some guy wanting to make a game with elements he cherishes he could probably make a little money off of so he can make other games with elements he likes. To assume there is no difference between a single guy with a hobby and a company is pretty silly and is part of the reason why I take offense to all this.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2012, 05:37:45 pm »

Guys seen these pictures yet?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2012, 05:41:57 pm »

Is marijuana legal wherever Notch lives? That's the first thing that comes to mind when I see that second pic, and it probably looks crazier in motion :P

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2012, 05:47:26 pm »

I don't know what the second pic is supposed to be, but I want to obtain it.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2012, 05:53:21 pm »

Well, after seeing the pics, the backstory makes sense. You are in fact still at home in present times, but are taking so many hallucinogens you think you're in a space ship a bazillion years in the future.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2012, 05:56:47 pm »

Of course! You're a computer nerd in the 80s that got high! It all makes sense now!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2012, 05:57:42 pm »

Those look like invaders that board your ship and splatter you all over the walls.  I really really hope they are.  They look terrifying.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »

Of course! You're a computer nerd in the 80s that got high! It all makes sense now!
That would explain so much of this game.

And where did you get those screenshots? I didn't see them in my glance-over of the summary site listed, and they just look like a basic lighting engine mockup.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43