Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What is the point to anything more than low bookeeping precision?  (Read 13187 times)

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point to anything more than low bookeeping precision?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 08:10:15 am »

How can you not set to highest?
I can't stand stats that are unclear ; "hmm, maybe you have food and drink left, maybe you have enough beds/armor/bars/bags of sand, but maybe not...", ungh.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 08:40:41 am »

no offence, but I wondered why anyone would ever set to something else than highest precision. Different play styles I guess.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:52 am »

Why not?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 08:59:08 am »

Agreed with all of the above, including that you can wait for a migration wave or two.  I used to set up book-keeping right away.  Not only did it tie up a Dwarf that I needed to trade at the depot or talk to the liaison or dig a hole, but I could manually count the important items in the stockpiles and so did not really need a book-keeper yet.  Later on, though, it is invaluable to be able to access individual items from the Z-Stock screen.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 09:09:35 am »

I usually set a bookeeper to max, after a while my z stocks is completely accurate, I even stop him from working and I don't need to have him do anything anymore... is it really necessary to let them update the stockpile records after you let them do it once in max setting? I mean do the records get unupdated somehow? only seen this when setting one of the lower precisions options and some items reach over that precision level...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 09:11:19 am »

I usually set a bookeeper to max, after a while my z stocks is completely accurate, I even stop him from working and I don't need to have him do anything anymore... is it really necessary to let them update the stockpile records after you let them do it once in max setting? I mean do the records get unupdated somehow? only seen this when setting one of the lower precisions options and some items reach over that precision level...
I think I've seen it slip once. it went from highest to high 97% to the next level.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 09:13:46 am »

MY CDO DEMANDS ORDER AND EXACTNESS!
Spelling.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 09:16:00 am »

My longest lived fort so far lasted 25 years. The only bookkeeper died in the big tantrum spiral 3 years in, but the records remained up to date (yes, including the bookkeeper's skeleton). Some might tell you this is a bug, but I'm inclined to think they're just damn good at their job.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 09:49:07 am »

People can tolerate not having the highest precision?  :o

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 09:50:16 am »

+1
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 10:38:03 am »

I usually set my bookkeeper to low precision at the start, when I have less than 100 of any item. Then after a while I'll bump him up to the next level. Whenever I notice that something is displaying an imprecise value I bump him up again. Eventually he gets up to max. That way I don't have a starting dwarf stuck in the office for months early on, but I still have the precision I need. 
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 10:50:09 am »

+1

Hey, the books say we have a 100ish drinks left, why is everyone drinking water and complaining about not having alcohol?

Lets melt all that goblinite. How many bins you think we have? 50? What? you estimate about 100? Armor bins then... Oh, we didn't seperate them yet... okay.... cloth cloth ammo cloth finished goods ah, armor. Keep, keep, keep, melt, keep, wooden shield, keep, melt.

Or you know, just have good records and designate it there.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 11:32:08 am »

MY CDO DEMANDS ORDER AND EXACTNESS!
Spelling.
It's like OCD but in alphabetical order.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »

count me in for asking why you would *not* have it set to highest? the stocks screen is an incredibly powerful management tool, but only if you have it set to highest.

how many bars of steel do i have? enough to equip another squad? i could "k" over every bin in my bars stockpile and count them myself. or just set precision to highest and check the stocks screen. . . .

hmmm stocks says i have 20 steel axes, but only 19 used, where the hell is that last one. . . oh, at the bottom of a lake with urist mcdrownandmissingforaweek.

welp, have a tone of seeds, better start cooking them. oh yeah, better use the stocks screen to forbid a few to keep in reserve. . .

hrrm, just mass dumped a whole z-level of stone, now i want to use it. guess i better "k" over my dump and then claim them all one at a time. . . or i could just use the stocks screen and claim them all at once!

honestly it's your game, and if you don't want to use the stocks screen it's your call, but you would really have to be a masochist to know what the stocks screen can do, and still choose not to use it. . .

Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6