Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249914 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1290 on: May 11, 2012, 03:12:47 pm »

Of course, just because carts spill doesn't mean bins do too.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: May 11, 2012, 03:16:04 pm »

I'm trying to decide whether lignite eternal-flame bins are good or not for the minecart shotgun. Do we want to permanently mark off the area they land if we can't perfectly predict exactly where they'll land? Even if that means having to rebuild an entirely new entrance if one lands inconveniently?

Then again, Toady also said he'd seriously consider flame detection as part of sentient AI behaviour.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #1292 on: May 11, 2012, 03:19:15 pm »

I like how the reckless weaponization of any new feature is an integrated part of the development.  :D

This ... is ... Dwarf Fortress!

(sorry)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: May 11, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »

From the last log, does that mean we could have flying lead bars killing goblins if we made a cart slam into their squad at full speed?

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 11, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »

Imagine a few large serrated discs launched successfully and flying with hyperspeed into a siege ... or through the party around the well ...
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: May 11, 2012, 06:42:24 pm »

Imagine a few large serrated discs launched successfully and flying with hyperspeed into a siege ... or through the party around the well ...
Pfft. 10 stacks of 25 masterwork steel bolts. BOLTSTORM!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 11, 2012, 06:44:34 pm »

We don't know if bolts will unstack from Bolt [25] into single bolts, or if a whole stack will hit the dwarf.  If they split, then boltstorm will be legit.  Coinsplosion will be hilarious as well.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: May 11, 2012, 06:47:10 pm »

We don't know if bolts will unstack from Bolt [25] into single bolts, or if a whole stack will hit the dwarf.  If they split, then boltstorm will be legit.  Coinsplosion will be hilarious as well.
Will you can't throw entire stacks of coins or bolts, so yeah, it does seem pretty legit. Also launched ammo before by accident using a drawbridge.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: May 11, 2012, 06:52:55 pm »

If drawbridge'd ammo separates then cart'd ammo probably will as well.  Coingun is a-go!

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: May 11, 2012, 06:57:51 pm »

Now we have a perfecly good reason to recover spent ammo and fill a  minecart to turn a whole siege into porkupines :D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: May 11, 2012, 07:03:52 pm »

Coincidentally, this also means that the remelting bug will be easy.  Hurl bolts at enemies via minecart.  Reclaim and melt down for .1 bar each!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1301 on: May 11, 2012, 07:27:41 pm »

Or even not at enemies.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 11, 2012, 07:42:52 pm »

Wonder if he's simply made falling/flying items collide and cause damage or made a minecart "throw" all it's contents on impact. Hope it's the first one :<

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:41 pm »

I just got the image of a minecart suddenly stopping at the trade depot and thousands of stone crafts and gem encrusted gems ripping the elves to shreds.

You encrust your gems with more gems? Who are you, Xzibit?

However, this sounds like the best way ever to trade with Elves.

Broker: "Don't worry, we're transferring the goods now. They'll be here in a second."

Elf: "There had better be no wood, little man."

Broker: "No, no, of course not! We would never dream of offending such illustrious traders as you. Now, please excuse me for a second."
(Broker leaves)
Elf: "Is that a cart I hear?"
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 11, 2012, 09:07:03 pm »

Wonder if he's simply made falling/flying items collide and cause damage or made a minecart "throw" all it's contents on impact. Hope it's the first one :<

If it's the first case, then we could drop anvils from hatches as traps.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 95