Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249922 times)

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1260 on: May 09, 2012, 01:29:33 pm »

The point is, that quote was contributed to Toady.

ThreeToe, Toady, what's the difference? :P
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 09, 2012, 07:26:48 pm »

has it been said weather dwarfs will be able to walk through/around/over a stationary cart?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 09, 2012, 07:55:26 pm »

has it been said weather dwarfs will be able to walk through/around/over a stationary cart?
I dont see why they wouldn't be able to. It might very well be, a very silly 'crawl under' system still.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:17 pm »

The point is, that quote was contributed to Toady.

ThreeToe, Toady, what's the difference? :P

GASPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KILL THE HERETIC!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 09, 2012, 10:48:42 pm »

I don't know whether the weather will be fine for the dwarves, but I have the wearwithall to guess that they will just like most tables/coffins/chairs etc.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 10, 2012, 01:04:13 am »

Tables and chairs can't cause collision damage though, and mine carts can. So it's an open question.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 10, 2012, 01:09:58 am »

They do if you throw them as an adventurer. Though that would be a fairly unusual circumstance.

Still, I agree that it could go either way. Some constructed buildings block paths, some don't. We'll wait and see.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 10, 2012, 02:06:07 am »

GUYS GUYS

For awhile I was like, "Cool, I can make some stuff go around my fort and OCD and get even less done but it will be awesome."

Then just now I'm like, "Wait... I'll be able to like, maintain my clearcutting tactics, with long defence hallways, by just having the haulers bring wood to the entrence with minecart and omg! It's gunna be awesome."

Yeah, just had to get that off my chest.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: May 10, 2012, 08:20:13 pm »

The items and units fly out of carts now on major collisions. It gives the objects a little lift and spread sometimes to make the happenings more entertaining. Accidental grapeshotting of the dining room should be possible now. The debug tests on massed goblins were fairly devastating and left a large conical skidmark.

1. Shotguns?
2. Flaming coal shotguns? (loaded cart goes through magma)
3. Expanding rounds: herd a siege along a predictable approach path. Fire a line/train of carts at them. The first cart will slow down after impact, and then get smashed by the cart(s) behind it. This will likely result in carts, goblins, and items all colliding with eachother and bouncing around. Based on the "conical skidmark" quote, the exit wound on the siege will be larger than the 1 tile width that you'd get from a single cart.
4. "Cartless" shotgun: a cart collides with an object in front of a wall of fortifications (perhaps the fortifications themselves?). Objects shoot out of the cart, through the fortifications, and hit enemies. Since this fires a spreadshot, it will be more accurate than the existing siege weapons.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1269 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:31 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/#2012-05-10]The items and units fly out of carts now on major collisions. It gives the objects a little lift and spread sometimes to make the happenings more entertaining. Accidental grapeshotting of the dining room should be possible now. The debug tests on massed goblins were fairly devastating and left a large conical skidmark.
I've been waiting to see an update like that. I think I can now make flak cannons on my next airship. :evil grin:

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 11, 2012, 01:06:56 am »

I like how the reckless weaponization of any new feature is an integrated part of the development.  :D
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: May 11, 2012, 02:16:25 am »

Quote from: Toady One
The items and units fly out of carts now on major collisions. It gives the objects a little lift and spread sometimes to make the happenings more entertaining. Accidental grapeshotting of the dining room should be possible now. The debug tests on massed goblins were fairly devastating and left a large conical skidmark.

Haha.  Ahahahaahah. HAHAHAHAHAH. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 11, 2012, 02:29:10 am »

I like how the reckless weaponization of any new feature is an integrated part of the development.  :D

that was what I was thinking too. I guess the community takes part of its bearings from the developer. Still, wish I could have seen it. I wonder if carts will gain names from killing goblins.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: May 11, 2012, 02:32:42 am »

I wonder if carts will gain names from killing goblins.

Urist McMinecart has become a legendary thrower!
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: May 11, 2012, 04:33:33 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Accidental grapeshotting of the dining room should be possible now.

Sure, accidental. That's what we'll tell the lawyer dwarves.

The only problem I can see is if a minecart gets loaded up with a year's worth of stonecrafts - somewhere between 2 and 4 metric craptons of useless stuff - and, on it's way to the trade depot it takes a corner too sharply.

You'll spend the next year picking the little buggers up.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 95