Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249976 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1200 on: May 04, 2012, 01:00:23 pm »

Hmmm... Possible fps improvement, tho? At least, the stock screen lags when I hit 2k stone, I'm sure there's probably a connection.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: May 04, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »

You can also sell useful stuff you can be proud of: weapons, bars, clothes....

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1202 on: May 04, 2012, 02:18:40 pm »

"Hello, mister Elf, would you like to see this Spring's fashions?" Urist said as he minced across the depot.   ;D

No way am I selling anything made of metal.  :P  That stuff is too hard to get. 
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 04, 2012, 08:02:52 pm »

You can also sell useful stuff you can be proud of: weapons, bars, clothes....

Once the economy gets more integrated, you won't be selling weapons to the humans since those weapons might be later used against dwarves. Sell tourist junk to humans/elves and weapons/armor to dwarves.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 05, 2012, 10:35:29 am »

I just had a peculiar idea. If supersonic travel were to be permitted, then would it be possible to accelerate to such extreme speeds that the pressure in the air around the minecart would bend the light so much that you would get a rainbow?

Somewhat serious question, and would it be scientifically possible?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: May 05, 2012, 11:07:29 am »

Can you guys throw me some ideas how to make train stations? A world encompassing metro isn't too hard, if you use the Just Embark utility.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 05, 2012, 12:33:15 pm »

would bend the light so much that you would get a rainbow?

No, it is a pure technobable.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 05, 2012, 01:44:12 pm »

Extreme pressure differences might refract the light (can't get wikipedia to give me a straight answer), but it wouldn't disperse it into a rainbow.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: May 05, 2012, 01:46:18 pm »

Light refracts to different degrees depending on its frequency (colour). I was basing my thoughts on that the differences in air pressure might refract it enough to create a (miniature) rainbow.

Edit: There is way to much science in my head for someone of my age. I need to get another hobby...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:47:54 pm by Blizzlord »
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 05, 2012, 01:48:24 pm »

It will cause a heat distortion effect, but no rainbows sadly.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 05, 2012, 01:56:04 pm »

Under certain conditions, light will refract noticeably differently at different wavelengths, and this is called dispersion.  Heat refracts all light more or less the same, and I'm not quite sure about pressure, but it would probably be similar.

PoodleIncident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 05, 2012, 02:04:58 pm »

If you want to stick sonic rainbooms into this here game, you'll just have to mod it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 05, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »

I just had a peculiar idea. If supersonic travel were to be permitted, then would it be possible to accelerate to such extreme speeds that the pressure in the air around the minecart would bend the light so much that you would get a rainbow?

3 comments:
1) I feel you're tapping into special relativity there. The starbow phenomenon. That's only applicable to space ships flying at relativistic speeds. With air friction, it will never happen.

2) I suppose under a fantasy situation of ignoring how to get the object to such a speed, how to cope with the temperature associated with it and how to cope with the sonic boom... you possibly could get a very, very small and thin layer of ultra-pressurised air to slightly split the wavelengths of white light into a rainbow (which you probably won't actually be able to see).

3) While you're considering the refraction of light at different wavelengths, you may want to read up on Rayleigh Scattering (the correct answer for why the sky is blue, not because light refracts differently for different wavelengths).

tl;dr: 25% boulder drop rate makes for a very easy balance fix of "4 blocks per 1 boulder".

Quote from: devlog 5/5/2012
In addition, you'll also get multiple blocks per stone now.
And so our megaproject worries were put to rest.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:54:17 pm by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Bertinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 05, 2012, 04:32:18 pm »

Why are rock crafts any worse than prepared meals?  At least it's Dwarfy to make toy boats from rock.   :P

The main issue is that it's a little silly because the traders don't take supply and demand into account much. A masterwork toy boat or three could probably get a good price. But by the end of the third year every human child has twenty rock boats and they still will pay out their ass for them. In Dwarf Fortress, all of humanity is made up of obsessive hoarders that will pay any price to increase their collection of useless shit.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 05, 2012, 06:29:55 pm »

In Dwarf Fortress, all of humanity is made up of obsessive hoarders that will pay any price to increase their collection of useless shit.

Sounds just like real life!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 95