Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249993 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1140 on: April 30, 2012, 04:33:02 am »

Yep.
Quote from: Toady One
I handled the save compat for minecarts -- it adds the necessary raw object and entity information to old saves now to allow you to make them.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 30, 2012, 10:07:01 am »

looks like no more burrowing dwarf and workshops when we want obsidian floodgates and mechanisms.

Or when we want something specific for an artifact:p make artifact stockpile, get the alert, set the shop type to draw from that pile only. Bam. Adamantine artifact great axe, decorated with adamantine and menacing with spikes of adamantine.

Why not just make a row of workshops with locked doors near the artifact material pile?  When you get a dwarf going moody, check his profession and then lock every workshop of that type except the one you want him to use.
Why not just define a burrow?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:20 am »

looks like no more burrowing dwarf and workshops when we want obsidian floodgates and mechanisms.

Or when we want something specific for an artifact:p make artifact stockpile, get the alert, set the shop type to draw from that pile only. Bam. Adamantine artifact great axe, decorated with adamantine and menacing with spikes of adamantine.

Why not just make a row of workshops with locked doors near the artifact material pile?  When you get a dwarf going moody, check his profession and then lock every workshop of that type except the one you want him to use.
Why not just define a burrow?

Because that would be the logical/simple thing to do, whichy is undwarven :P

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1143 on: April 30, 2012, 02:55:00 pm »

I hope Toady releases an update sooner rather than later; he had me at haulers snagging multiple items at once. I don't really feel like playing much until I can have that functionality.

(also bumping 'cause this was on page 2)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

PoodleIncident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 30, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »

So, with mid-air collisions, we could experiment with force vector targeting systems. As in, launch the payload in the Y-direction, up from the bottom left of your firing range, then early-on in its path, hit it with a lighter cart moving to the right. This could be tuned to deliver the payload to any arbitrary space on the map, using differently-weighted carts and/or different speeds.

Then, every physics class in the world uses exclusively dwarf fortress targeting for all practice problems, and everyone wins!  8)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 30, 2012, 08:39:13 pm »

So, with mid-air collisions, we could experiment with force vector targeting systems. As in, launch the payload in the Y-direction, up from the bottom left of your firing range, then early-on in its path, hit it with a lighter cart moving to the right. This could be tuned to deliver the payload to any arbitrary space on the map, using differently-weighted carts and/or different speeds.

Then, every physics class in the world uses exclusively dwarf fortress targeting for all practice problems, and everyone wins!  8)

Urist McSpotter: Target sighted! Range, 100 tiles, bearing, 072 degrees!
Urist McMathemetician: One moment... *runs fluid logic trigonometry calculator while siege slaughters fort* Load up the secondary cart to 14 U and -
Urist McSpotter: Dammit, target moved, now at...
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 30, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »

EDIT:

I've been able to make a cage full of animals that weights as much as 130 slade boulders. Since objects that roll downhill should reach the same velocity regardless of their mass (physics!), we can make "elephant guns" that fire minecarts that carry a single cage loaded with dozens of elephants. Such a cage would have a momentum so large that it would plow everything in its path, even megabeasts.

This assumes that we can load one cage into a minecart regardless of weight, whereas there would be a cap on the number of boulders that we can load a cart with. It also assumes that carts gain speed rolling downhill in a realistic manner.

Furthermore, if we make this cage out of wood and set it on ‼fire‼ just as it is being fired, the cage will be destroyed some time after impact, releasing a horde of angry (perhaps burning) elephants.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:36:10 pm by Urist Da Vinci »

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1147 on: April 30, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »

Time it so the cage disintegrates just after launch, resulting in a shotgun effect; spraying elephants EVERYWHERE.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:41 pm »

EDIT:

I've been able to make a cage full of animals that weights as much as 130 slade boulders. Since objects that roll downhill should reach the same velocity regardless of their mass (physics!), we can make "elephant guns" that fire minecarts that carry a single cage loaded with dozens of elephants. Such a cage would have a momentum so large that it would plow everything in its path, even megabeasts.

This assumes that we can load one cage into a minecart regardless of weight, whereas there would be a cap on the number of boulders that we can load a cart with. It also assumes that carts gain speed rolling downhill in a realistic manner.

Furthermore, if we make this cage out of wood and set it on ‼fire‼ just as it is being fired, the cage will be destroyed some time after impact, releasing a horde of angry (perhaps burning) elephants.

Just how slowly does a dwarf go while hauling it?

Furthermore, I'm wondering if Toady's going to prevent us from abusing this sort of thing by making a weight limit for rollers. I mean, that makes sense- there was simply no system in the medieval world, let alone one powered by waterwheels, that could move that sort of weight up a hill.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 30, 2012, 10:18:23 pm »

Da VInci: That also assumes that the weight of a minecart doesn't have a cap and that the game doesn't just cap off the damage formula at a certain weight.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 30, 2012, 11:14:40 pm »

Since carts have physical properties, then their weight will probably effect how they can move. So you might not be able to budge a super heavy cart.

So, while through the use of minor exploits, you might be to get a cart to be super massive, this doenst mean you'll be able to move. Rollers might be only able to accept SO much power to them, and Dorfs not be able to move things of infinite weight anymore.

Remember the Mining changes are suppose to reward players for using Minecarts, animal powered hauling, (and possibly wheel barrows), so obviously how dorfs interact with weights are going to change, among other things.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 30, 2012, 11:31:29 pm »

Rollers might have trouble, but rollers were not mentioned.  If you load the cage at the top of a hill, with the minecart parked on an incline blocked by a door, it ought to work unless there's a weight at which a minecart won't roll at all, under any circumstances.  If there's trouble carrying the cage up to the minecart, you could lead the elephants individually to the launch point, though I don't know if you will be able to load elephants directly into a cage on a minecart.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 01, 2012, 12:01:58 am »

No Exploits needed. I know how to mine legit. Put some in your minecarts. Have !!FUN!!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 01, 2012, 12:26:55 am »

Does this work with cages? That is, if you set a cage on fire will it release it's contents before it is destroyed? I imagine mine carts will be the same in this respect.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 01, 2012, 01:16:31 am »

Gobbo1: They've just let us wander in. WTFBBQ?
Gobbo2: Who cares! Look at the pile of free beer!
Gobbo3: Hey look! A mine cart coasting to a stop right here! Why is it smoking?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 95