Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249981 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1125 on: April 28, 2012, 01:08:02 pm »

It will solve the huge clothing clusterbomb problem. You just set up 2 clothing stockpiles. One which only accepts clothing from the clothier shop. and another clothing stockpile that accepts all of the loose garments scattered around the fort and on the surface. Make this 2nd stockpile double as a refuse pile with everything turned off. This will make the clothing in this stockpile decay without prematurely decaying the brand new stuff just being produced.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 28, 2012, 01:23:01 pm »

Storage for minecarts. I hope that this means the equivalent of train yards, and/or minecart schedules. I want the focus of my fortress to be a replica of Grand Central Station.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 28, 2012, 01:41:13 pm »

Hmmm... Actual mines... Run a path and a track deep into an area you want mined out, and the do mine shafts out in every direction from the loading stop. Me likey :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 28, 2012, 10:02:35 pm »

I went back to bin jobs to make their item selection a little smarter and to clean out some of the idle time between haul jobs, and I'm going to do something similar with vehicle jobs next.

Hmmm... Reducing lag time between haul jobs? Nice... Same for vehicles, ie, minecarts? Doubly nice.

Smarter selection for bin jobs? So grab closest instead of closest to the furthest point away? :p

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 29, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »

"Bin jobs" sounds like the job "bring item to a barrel" will be replaced by "bring the barrel over and vacuum up the items" when applicable.  Obviously it will have some sort of weighted value that lets the dwarves decide when to haul the barrel or when to haul the seeds.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 29, 2012, 07:13:45 pm »

"Bin jobs" sounds like the job "bring item to a barrel" will be replaced by "bring the barrel over and vacuum up the items" when applicable.  Obviously it will have some sort of weighted value that lets the dwarves decide when to haul the barrel or when to haul the seeds.

Ah, yes. He did mention that before. Same for vehicles, so does that mean a dwarf causing up and down the line grabbing stuff? Very cryptic update ;)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 29, 2012, 08:55:45 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Stockpiles can now be set to give items to multiple stockpiles. You can also set stockpiles to give to a workshop, in which case the workshop will only use items from its piles. You can use this to set specific materials for jobs in a roundabout way, for example, until we get around to doing that properly. If a stockpile is set to distribute the same kind of objects to multiple piles, it'll try to keep the piles even. It works well for items like stone and furniture, but it's a harder problem when bins become involved.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 29, 2012, 09:02:45 pm »

Victory!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 29, 2012, 09:20:42 pm »

*drool*

Is it sad I have the release rss feed linked to my phone, so dwarf fortress music starts playing the moment he puts out 0.34.08? 

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 29, 2012, 09:33:41 pm »

looks like no more burrowing dwarf and workshops when we want obsidian floodgates and mechanisms.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 29, 2012, 09:36:04 pm »

looks like no more burrowing dwarf and workshops when we want obsidian floodgates and mechanisms.

Or when we want something specific for an artifact:p make artifact stockpile, get the alert, set the shop type to draw from that pile only. Bam. Adamantine artifact great axe, decorated with adamantine and menacing with spikes of adamantine.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:10 pm »

Or when we want something specific for an artifact:p make artifact stockpile, get the alert, set the shop type to draw from that pile only. Bam. Adamantine artifact great axe, decorated with adamantine and menacing with spikes of adamantine.

Why not just make a row of workshops with locked doors near the artifact material pile?  When you get a dwarf going moody, check his profession and then lock every workshop of that type except the one you want him to use.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 29, 2012, 09:50:30 pm »

Because that would be the logical/simple thing to do, whichy is undwarven :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 29, 2012, 09:56:30 pm »

I just hope the new version is compatible with this one - I've got a megaproject that's about 3/4 done.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 29, 2012, 10:51:41 pm »

I just hope the new version is compatible with this one - I've got a megaproject that's about 3/4 done.

I'm pretty sure Toady's mentioned in his devlog that he worked on making them compatible.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95