Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250079 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #915 on: April 20, 2012, 09:18:52 pm »

Hopefully the dwarves will be smart enough to actively avoid moving carts, or at very least not path right down the railway the carts use...
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 20, 2012, 09:26:24 pm »

I hope they can run down dwarves 'accidentally'.

haha called it

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 20, 2012, 09:26:50 pm »

Whenever I imagine someone suffering knockback from a blow, I always immagined them skidding.
And now it has begun.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 20, 2012, 10:11:59 pm »

Platinum minecarts, full of platinum nuggets.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #919 on: April 20, 2012, 10:13:00 pm »

Quote from: Dev Blog
"The Miner's head skids along the ground, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!" That happened after a minecart full of stone going ten times as fast as the dwarf collided with him and sent him flying. They'll skid on a part if they are moving fast horizontally when they hit the ground. This can end up leaving bloody skid marks intermittently as they repeatedly strike the ground. If the carts aren't going super fast and the dwarf has a space, they'll almost always dodge aside, and even if there is no space, if the cart is going slow enough, they'll just stop it. If they do get hit by a fast cart though, it'll transfer momentum according to the cart's mass and speed as well as the dwarf's, sending the dwarf along. The heaviest fast minecarts will blast through many dwarves before they are slowed significantly. The struck units move in parabolic arcs now (instead of the old fly straight then fall straight down).

This update is going to be so awesome. I cannot wait.
Itnetlolor cancels reading, drawing up plans for Dwarven Impact Hammers

EDIT:
We need plans for Dwarven super-colliders, and maybe some poor sap in the impact zone. 2 myths in one.

EDIT EDIT:
And with parabolic arcs being implemented, I foresee a rewrite in siege weapon coding so catapults are actually properly firing (no longer require fortifications to fire through, they can go over walls properly now; while we're at it, we ought to have trebuchets as a 5x5 siege weapon to fire like a catapult much further than the new coding would allow the old catapults to fire), and ballistae can't glide forever (possible recovery?).

Since the siege weapons will likely be able to be recoded, it should accept more than just rocks. What about pumpkins and heads?
Spoiler: This guy approves. (click to show/hide)

Funny thing, doing an image search, and coming across that led back to an earlier reference I made to that guy on these forums a couple years ago. :P Dude's an unofficial mascot for Punkin' Chunkin'; and a damn appropriate one while at it, especially with nowadays's latest developments.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:26:52 pm by Itnetlolor »

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 20, 2012, 10:35:06 pm »

This means a far more humorous goblin death hallway. I'd imagine it looking something like this:

===-=====
===+++++=
===+===+=
===+===+=
===+===+=
===+===+=
===+===+=
===+===+=
===++0++=
===-=====

=: Wall
+: Track
0: Laden Cart
-: Doorway in/out of fort

Possibly with jump ramps so the goblins couldn't actually make their way around the track, they'd run through the hallway and be promptly splattered by the cart which would be attached to rollers. There would have to be a way to change tracks on a cart, however, so that the repeating splatter machine isn't an endlessly repeating splatter machine.

Excuse the crude ASCII drawing.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 20, 2012, 10:40:20 pm »

I would think that Toady may implement switch tracks; like a lever attached to a certain track to switch it from Straight to Left or Straight to Right etc...

That could be useful for disabling the trap, putting it on a loop that results in the track going in a non lethal area.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #922 on: April 20, 2012, 10:47:23 pm »

You may need to maximize the potential of that hallway with a few carts orbiting the track and a track loader depositing the carts from above at full steam. Make sure they're as heavy as possible, but traveling just fast enough to be super lethal, but unable to bounce off track. Plus, let's hope for a Newton's Cradle effect to come to play if one of the (lets say 4) orbiting carts decide to suddenly stop.

Speaking of which...

Itnetlolor cancels responding, drawing up plans for Dwarven Newton's Cradles
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:49:57 pm by Itnetlolor »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 20, 2012, 10:57:06 pm »

Oh fuck yes this is literally one of the best things I've ever heard.  I can just imagine a dwarf, face against the cave floor, both arms and feet high in the air as he practically handstands - without the hands - sliding along the ground at high speed and leaving a trail of blood and bits of skull.

Now, the real question:
If a creature is struck by a minecart, can they be struck by another minecart?  In particular, I want to play pingpong...
Code: [Select]
#######
>>>.<g<
#######
Launch carts from both sides, delayed slightly from each other.  A cart arrives from the right, strikes the goblin, sends the goblin flying to the left.  The cart continues to the drop and falls down to the next Z level.  Another cart is already arriving from the left, and strikes the flying goblin, sending the goblin flying back to the right.  By the time the goblin arrives on the right, a third cart has begun traveling down, striking the goblin and sending it back to the left...

Tennis anyone?

Also an idea, how would this design work?
#|#
#|###+###
#>000g000
#####+###
That's 3 carts on either side with a walkway down the middle.  The walkway has a track on the floor, but no cart.  On either side the carts are sitting at rest.  When triggered, a cart arrives from the upper left, striking the cart in the far left and causing a newton's cradle effect.

Would:
A) The goblin is run over as the 3rd cart crosses the gap and hits the 4th cart?
B) The goblin is integrated into the machinery and the cradle moves through the goblin, sending the 6th cart flying while also turning all the goblin's bones into jello?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #924 on: April 20, 2012, 11:00:18 pm »

Goblins cancel Siege:  Interrupted by vehicular homicide.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 20, 2012, 11:02:07 pm »

I suggest dropping them from above at full-speed like itnetlolor, except isntead of putting them in a loop, let them fly across a narrow bridge over a deep pit at high speed, then off onto separate ramps that tangentially lead back to the fortress.

^ = ramps leading to outdoors, v = ramp leading down tangential cart return track, + = floor without track, = = floor with track, . = empty space, # = walls, 0 = cart entry point.
####################
^++................#
#v================0+ > to fort
^++................#
####################

The new and improved dodge-pit trap. Now play "chicken" with the goblins!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:06:45 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 20, 2012, 11:03:26 pm »

Although, scheming aside, we can acknowledge one fact now.  Minecarts will provide a reliable defense when fired through a narrow hallways, and the Dwarven Railgun project continues as planned.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 20, 2012, 11:03:53 pm »

I will not rest until I have implemented Grand Theft Minecart: Boatmurdered. Complete with scantily clad elf hookers.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 20, 2012, 11:13:25 pm »

Now the ultimate !!FUN!! project will be a simultaneous railgun track into a trapping courtyard that closes off a siege. The carts cover every bit of the yard at once, meaning with the flip of a lever you could splatter dozens of greenskins with malicious, bloody glee.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 21, 2012, 12:50:34 am »

Now the ultimate !!FUN!! project will be a simultaneous railgun track into a trapping courtyard that closes off a siege. The carts cover every bit of the yard at once, meaning with the flip of a lever you could splatter dozens of greenskins with malicious, bloody glee.

This, but with marksdwarves riding the carts.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 95