Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250233 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #750 on: April 13, 2012, 09:29:18 am »

51 pages and no mention or adaptation of the "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES" meme? Community, I am disappoint.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:31:09 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 13, 2012, 09:36:46 am »

51 pages and no mention or adaptation of the "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES" meme? Community, I am disappoint.

No, you should be proud.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46:44 am »

I am interested in how fast the carts can move (Toady mentioned something like "quite fast" in the future of the fortress thread, but nothing specific), to know if I can make some sort of quick-retreat system, placing carts outside in a way that allows them to jump over the outer wall of my fortress, without me needing to lower a bridge to get any lazy dwarf back in a safe place (and of course, using the same system to launch fighters outside). Also, I would like to know how they compare to a common dwarf's speed, to see if it might be a good idea to remove the need to walk for my dwarves completely (which might be especially useful for those crippled dwarves that weren't useful anymore after some "fun"), by having tracks everywhere.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 13, 2012, 09:52:03 am »

I don't think carts could be used for a retreat, as they currently need to having hauling tasks and civilians just run instead of hauling.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 13, 2012, 09:52:31 am »

If this works, then it should send a cart going straight up and then straight down.  If it works, put a marksdwarf on there for hilarity as they pop up and down quickly taking pot-shots as they fly.

In Soviet Fortress, Mole Whacks You!
Laughing so damn hard right now. Can't wait to be able to try this out.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 13, 2012, 09:59:15 am »

I don't think carts could be used for a retreat, as they currently need to having hauling tasks and civilians just run instead of hauling.

Oh well, I guess they'll keep dying at their usual rate, then.  :P I am already dealing with too many of them, so it shouldn't be a problem.

So even using it as a transport system is partially ruled out, right? I mean, unless toady adds the possibility to use them without having hauling tasks, it would be hard to use it for moving the dwarves en-masse.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #756 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:44 am »

I'm also debating how to make "dwarven whackamole".  It would put a marksdwarf on a cart, send them roaring along a tunnel and hit a ramp that leads into a wall, sending them flying straight up.
Code: [Select]
#### #
#### #
____/#
If I'm understanding physics right, this should send the cart straight upwards.  If I'm wrong, then the cart will slam into the wall and kill everything except the goblins.

If this works, then it should send a cart going straight up and then straight down.  If it works, put a marksdwarf on there for hilarity as they pop up and down quickly taking pot-shots as they fly.

In Soviet Fortress, Mole Whacks You!

Given the parabolic arch, my suspicion is the car will slam into the wall. You could make something where they appear out of a hole at the very peak of the arch but a vertical launch seems unlikely.

One option we do have is to make a crazy impressive dining hall with synchronised mine carts leaping overhead. That's got to be worth a happy thought, right?
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 13, 2012, 10:05:17 am »

What If calculating the trajectories kill the fps?
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 13, 2012, 10:16:50 am »

One option we do have is to make a crazy impressive dining hall with synchronised mine carts leaping overhead. That's got to be worth a happy thought, right?
Yeah, nothing to pick up your mood like a ton of rock hurtling over your head at breakneck speeds, secured to the standards of Dwarf OSHA.  :P

But back on topic,
Given the parabolic arch, my suspicion is the car will slam into the wall. You could make something where they appear out of a hole at the very peak of the arch but a vertical launch seems unlikely.
I think it would be possible to build launch and landing ramps on opposite sides of a canyon and have the airborne dorfs shoot down at the baddies while zooming overhead.

Also, this
Quote from: devlog
I set a hauler to ride a minecart to its next stop. That happened to take the dwarf down eight ramps and then up a launch ramp into an open cavern. High up in the cavern there was a wide ledge and on the ledge there was a goblin, chilling out right where I had created it. I activated the dwarf's squad, and he had just enough hang-time at the top of the flight arc to get a punch in. The goblin struck back but the dwarf jumped on to the ledge, where they continued to fight as the cart fell down into the darkness.
is seven kinds of epic!  8)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:24:20 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:25 am »

My GOD. I can reenact Metro 2033. Just create a few interconnected forts in evil biomes using rails, abandon, and then explore the place with an adventurer.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 13, 2012, 10:58:00 am »

Could one, perhaps, set the cart a little farther back from the battlements, so that the civies can lose line of sight and take up a regular job (usually even a couple tiles back will do it)?  Then, you can set the cart to move if 'empty' (I remember Toady saying that was an option), but with a rider.  Something like:

XXXXXXX
X    U    X
||         ||
==M===
  ||+||
  ||+||

Where U is Urist McArcher, M is the cart, XXX is the fortification, || and = are walls, and + are tracks.

Dunno, just a thought.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #761 on: April 13, 2012, 11:21:27 am »

I'm very interested in the basic physics at work here, and if it's going to make any difference in how falling objects behave.  At the moment, Dwarf Fortress does not model the acceleration of gravity at all.  Falling objects fall at a constant speed, no matter how far they have fallen.  Flying objects move in a straight line at a constant speed, until they run out of momentum, at which point they stop dead and then fall straight down.

If flying mine carts actually do move in parabolic arcs, it implies that Toady is finally coding in some notion of gravitational acceleration.  I'll be curious to see if this also applies to the behavior of falling objects, or objects flung by a bridge, or if minecarts and only minecarts will behave with new physics.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 13, 2012, 11:40:45 am »

How many ramps are needed to give a cart enough speed to collide 2 half critical masses into chain reaction?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 13, 2012, 11:47:17 am »

What If calculating the trajectories kill the fps?

I think this is probably the most important question asked in all 51 pages:p

Parabolic arcs, possibly gravity calculation... Toady didn't say anything about it, but since he doesn't actually play DF, only short debug sessions he said...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 13, 2012, 12:46:42 pm »

How many ramps are needed to give a cart enough speed to collide 2 half critical masses into chain reaction?
The uranium minecart strikes the uranium minecart!
Urist McOppenheimer has become Death, Destroyer of Worlds.

Now I'm picturing a wide hallway about 3 or 4 Z-levels high, with ramps on either side up to the ceiling. Build several tracks across it, and you have a halfpipe for the Dwarven Olympics. Or a deathtrap for invaders as minecarts whiz back and forth in front of them. Either/or.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 95