Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250311 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #645 on: April 11, 2012, 01:44:41 am »

Pressure Plates don't work on weight though. They work on the tile they sit on, being occupied.

They're probably one of the more magical elements of the DF mechanics. How can a pressure plate tell the difference between a dorf (of any age), between a hostile creature? But not an animal.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:17:22 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 11, 2012, 02:15:33 am »

Now I really want to toss magma filled carts at goblins.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 11, 2012, 02:41:11 am »

You didn't before?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 11, 2012, 02:55:50 am »

Begin project space explorer
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 11, 2012, 03:11:54 am »

You didn't before?

Not as much as I wanted now.

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #650 on: April 11, 2012, 05:15:16 am »

The possibilities for !!FUN!! are now so, so much bigger. But does this mean, for example, that we could have a multi-Z-level fortress that has absolutely no stairways at all, because we'd just connect all the different parts with minecart tracks?

Or what about single-z fortress which is still reasonably effective - thanks to more efficient hauling and passenger transport provided by minecarts.

What would be nice to know, if dwarfs will use minecart information in regular pathfinding thus using them proactively. If so, then you can setup regular public transport  service ... I know it is not as awesome as smashing goblins mid air with carts filled with lava above the stockpile, but it might be something which could be done easily in almost every fortress ... and will have huge impact on fortress design.
Also, dwarf can ride a full minecart or can does the cart has to be empty?
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 11, 2012, 07:33:49 am »

toady said that dwarves may be able to hitch a ride, so im guessing they just sit on top of the load.

a simple 2 z level design would be efficient, in a cross shape with 1 track going lengthways and one going widthways across the fortress (but down 1 z level so no one can crash- 2 rail tracks -for back and forth- and a simple spiral carttrack for traveling up and down z levels at speed.
i dont think large systems will be much in evident unless someone designs a stupid dwarf trick railway.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 11, 2012, 07:48:19 am »

Will passagers inside a cart be immortal?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 11, 2012, 07:52:28 am »

What if Toady upgrades the town system so villagers can use carts to travel from and to towns efficiently.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 11, 2012, 07:54:37 am »

What if Toady upgrades the town system so villagers can use carts to travel from and to towns efficiently.

Doubtful.  I believe someone said earlier than Toady nixed the idea of railroads entirely in Dwarf Fortress and that would probably qualify.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 11, 2012, 07:57:43 am »

I highly doubt that, but I was about to ponder whether a minecart could be useable in adventure mode by the player... I can imagine building a rail line across the distance between major forts through the use of 16x2 (or 1) embarks with railways crossing them. You'd just need little jumps to cross the gaps between embarks (due to the fact that you couldn't build up to the map's edge, but it may be possible for embarks to overlap if you use an embark-anywhere-esque utility.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 11, 2012, 08:09:52 am »

well, the cart will still keep going over flat ground wont it? itll just be rather dangerous and loose its load then itll hit more tracks.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 11, 2012, 08:17:40 am »

I wonder if the minecart will keep on going if you lose sight of it. You could have a loop with two minecarts at either end and when you get to one end you just have to push the other on it's way so it still has a cart ready at each end, just in case you, you know, die.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #658 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:47 am »

I highly doubt that, but I was about to ponder whether a minecart could be useable in adventure mode by the player... I can imagine building a rail line across the distance between major forts through the use of 16x2 (or 1) embarks with railways crossing them. You'd just need little jumps to cross the gaps between embarks (due to the fact that you couldn't build up to the map's edge, but it may be possible for embarks to overlap if you use an embark-anywhere-esque utility.)

NONONONONONNONO.

You can build floors and ramps on the map edge always.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 11, 2012, 09:05:55 am »

Because no one posted the exact quote:
Quote from: Toady One The Great
The carts seem to be grabbing and giving up bins and barrels properly now, so that's good. Watching them work has us leaning toward giving the hauler the option to hitch a ride on the cart instead of just kicking it along, so it looks like we may very well be having cart-riding dwarves screaming down ramps and spinning off into space this release after all, at least in this context.
My biggest thought here?  Dedicated hauler class.  Your metalsmiths don't even have to handle the ore, the haulers will unload it from the carts!

Also military deployment:
Have a series of 10 small rooms.  Each room has a bridge on the outside and a door on the inside.  When "locked" the door is closed and the door is open, and when "open" the door is open and the bridge is closed, so it functions as an airlock.
A pressure plate is inside the room, or else a lever operated somewhere, which links to both the door and the bridge.
Each room has a burrow in it.
Behind the door is a minecart and a single sock, with the conditions "launch when partially full."

Siege arrives.
Order military to defend burrows, and they run to their rooms.
Lever/plate to cycle the airlock.
Remove their military orders, making them into civilians, causing them to haul the sock into the cart, jump on, and ride.
Cart goes directly to the siege.

*claps hands* We have dwarven shock troopers.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 95