Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250334 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #615 on: April 09, 2012, 12:56:26 pm »

Well, I ask because I know you can dig tracks into natural floors. I'm starting a new fortress and I'm thinking about digging out the space for the tracks now so I can dig tracks into the floor- but I need to know if I should just channel where the ramps are now.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #616 on: April 09, 2012, 01:11:51 pm »

Tonight, I had a very short dream about Dwarf Fortress. I saw a small part of a fortress, and it had some minecarts. Their symbol was 0, but they had a very stupid color like orange or purple. I didn't see any tracks.
It also was a tileset I don't recall seeing before.

I had a dream last night that there was a new devlog entry, and he wrote something about a hitherto unknown girlfriend named Katarina.

"She's not into video games, but that won't stop me from working on them"
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 09, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »

I can't help but wonder how much we're importing real-world physics and shouldn't be. Sure, you have to store a real-world cart in a slowed speed, but you also can't create real-world kinetic energy out of nowhere, and that rule's as broke as a two-dollar watch.
I believe she was referring to how minecarts won't be able to corner at top speed, so any holding loop will have a maximum speed limited by the cornering speed of the cart in question, and it would probably be easier to just use chained rollers to get them up to that speed. 

You could instead build a holding tower, with minecarts at the top being accelerated via rollers to the maximum speed rollers can provide, and then go down ramps for more speed, assuming falling has a higher maximum speed than rollers (did toady actually ever say that, or am I just assuming?).

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 09, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »

I just had an idea for the awesomest Kobold trap:
An exceptional gold idol is put into a minecart, which is placed on a pressure plate. The pressure plate is in the middle of a great empty hall with a 1-tile wide, trapped hallway to the outside.
When the Kobold removes the gold idol, the pressure plate untriggers. The Kobold thief tries to flee with the loot through the trapped hallway. Meanwhile, a very heavy minecart will be released and accelerated, entering the escape hallway. With no space to dodge, it should hit the Kobold right in the back. If the collision doesn't kill the thief outright, it should at least break some bones, resulting in the Kobold passing out on the traps.
If that's not dramatic enough, the ceilings could slowly collapse.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 09, 2012, 01:32:39 pm »

Unfortunately ceilings have a specific speed of collapse. Namely the speed of light. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Captain Swing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 09, 2012, 01:36:21 pm »

That camera tracking sounds amazing, I'm going to use that all the time.
I wonder what happens if you follow a stack of bolts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHn1zogeyO4

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 09, 2012, 02:09:40 pm »

I just had an idea for the awesomest Kobold trap:
An exceptional gold idol is put into a minecart, which is placed on a pressure plate. The pressure plate is in the middle of a great empty hall with a 1-tile wide, trapped hallway to the outside.
When the Kobold removes the gold idol, the pressure plate untriggers. The Kobold thief tries to flee with the loot through the trapped hallway. Meanwhile, a very heavy minecart will be released and accelerated, entering the escape hallway. With no space to dodge, it should hit the Kobold right in the back. If the collision doesn't kill the thief outright, it should at least break some bones, resulting in the Kobold passing out on the traps.
If that's not dramatic enough, the ceilings could slowly collapse.

So long as you engrave: Indianna jones on the memorial slab.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 09, 2012, 02:14:28 pm »

What if they chuck a sandbag in, huh?
No, wait, that didn't work...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 10, 2012, 10:16:08 am »

I'm just happy thief froggers is a go
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 10, 2012, 10:45:18 am »

The issue is, at basics, if you cannot keep a cart spinning at top speed, that means they must be stored in a slowed, or an inert state.  You cannot easily keep a cart at maximum stored energy.  Of all the "circular holding cells" that might be designed, it would still be easier to simply put a series of rollers in a line and shunt a cart off at top speed.

Some abuse of ramps and doors may be important.  If done right, you could have a cart parked on a ramp, locked by a door.  When it opens, it'll run down the ramp and into the rollers, allowing for rather quick deployment.
It seems to me that it would be quite easy to keep a cart at a specific point at top speed essentially constantly. Just have a big ramp down to it (big enough to hit the max speed), and some kind of mechanical system to pull everything back up again. Then you just need to put enough minecarts on it that there's almost always one in the entrance spot and you're done. Just open the exit bridge at whatever point you like and watch the whole lot fly out.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 10, 2012, 11:25:04 am »

Fortress Defense Strategy:

Build a 4 or 5 rows or parallel tracks along the outside perimeter or your fortress. Fill each track with as many rollers as possible. Place twenty minecarts on each track. You can build a retractable bridge on ramps for caravan access. You now have an orbital minecart defense system.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 10, 2012, 12:25:02 pm »

don't forget to slow em down slightly for turning corners.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #627 on: April 10, 2012, 04:25:34 pm »

Trap I want to build:

Top level is a standard 'dodge this' trap, causing goblins to drop below.
Below is a row of empty mine carts on parallel track/down ramps leading away from the drop.
Triggered by the added weight of the now-stunned goblin, the cart in release/propelled along a short track of rollers/down slopes.
This also releases a mine cart on another track, which is similarly accelerated.
Goblin and Cart go flying off a ramp at the end in a graceful arc.
Simultaneously, the other cart goes flying into a graceful arc from the opposite direction.
Carts collide in mid-air, dropping goblin onto spikes/lava/another mine cart...

Depends on being able to give involuntary mine cart rides to otherwise unrestrained creatures; and if once the cart is at high speed, the goblin should be unable to exit the vehicle without injury.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 10, 2012, 04:38:58 pm »

For efficiency, send stunned goblins and steel carts through a magmafall with the exit next to your stockpiles.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 10, 2012, 04:46:19 pm »

minecarts won't be able to carry passengers for a while and they'll probably be able to in adventure mode before fort mode.

I still want a mood minecart

This is a platinum minecart. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of diamond. It menaces with spikes of steel. On it is an image in obsidian. The image shows a kobold, the kobold makes a plaintif gesture. The image relates to the striking down of the kobold by a minecart during the fifth ambush. It is adorned by hanging rings of kobold bone.

related: Urist McCareless has been very happy lately. He has sustained serious injuries lately. He has admired a truly sublime minecart lately. He had to drink water lately.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 95