Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250349 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #600 on: April 09, 2012, 10:31:54 am »

Yet another reason to build another Dwarven Water Reactor, then.  Getting those mine carts 100+ layers from the magma forges back up to the magnetite lodes is probably going to take a lot of power.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:10 am »

It'll be a hell of a lot simpler than pumping the magma up to the magnetite, tho...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 09, 2012, 10:37:59 am »

Yet another reason to build another Dwarven Water Reactor, then.  Getting those mine carts 100+ layers from the magma forges back up to the magnetite lodes is probably going to take a lot of power.

An aquifer battery would make it even more insane - those carts would just go on forever

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 09, 2012, 10:46:20 am »

An aquifer battery would make it even more insane - those carts would just go on forever
Toady has said there is a terminal velocity for the minecarts (although it's a very high cap), but there is certainly nothing stopping us from building a 'race circuit' that the minecarts will loop around endlessly, waiting for that goblin siege to run over. Mind, Toady also says we'd need to take care with cornering speeds. Unlimited acceleration alone will not be the solution, judicious use of friction zones (with specific minecart weight ranges in mind) for cornering will be required.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 09, 2012, 10:54:16 am »

Perhaps we could make a Minecart Gatling Gun of sorts.
Alright, Imagine this circuit, but bigger:
Code: [Select]
C-=+C
+...-
=...=
-...+
C+=-C==== g
Where C is a corner, = is stright rail, + is a booster, - is a stopper, and g is a Goblin.
You could get a number of carts going around this loop, and with the boosters, they would keep circuiting, but with the slowers, they wouldn't fly off corners.
Now turn off the slower near the corner leading towards the track towards the goblin, and the carts should fly onto that track, and subsequently into the goblin.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 09, 2012, 11:01:05 am »

The issue is, at basics, if you cannot keep a cart spinning at top speed, that means they must be stored in a slowed, or an inert state.  You cannot easily keep a cart at maximum stored energy.  Of all the "circular holding cells" that might be designed, it would still be easier to simply put a series of rollers in a line and shunt a cart off at top speed.

Some abuse of ramps and doors may be important.  If done right, you could have a cart parked on a ramp, locked by a door.  When it opens, it'll run down the ramp and into the rollers, allowing for rather quick deployment.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 09, 2012, 11:26:20 am »

I can't help but wonder how much we're importing real-world physics and shouldn't be. Sure, you have to store a real-world cart in a slowed speed, but you also can't create real-world kinetic energy out of nowhere, and that rule's as broke as a two-dollar watch.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 09, 2012, 11:32:11 am »

The issue is, at basics, if you cannot keep a cart spinning at top speed, that means they must be stored in a slowed, or an inert state.  You cannot easily keep a cart at maximum stored energy.  Of all the "circular holding cells" that might be designed, it would still be easier to simply put a series of rollers in a line and shunt a cart off at top speed.

Some abuse of ramps and doors may be important.  If done right, you could have a cart parked on a ramp, locked by a door.  When it opens, it'll run down the ramp and into the rollers, allowing for rather quick deployment.
Wait, I think I got it:

Code: [Select]
    + ______
    + +
    + +
    + +
    +=+
___***+

Where:
_ is a rail track tile
* is a powered roller
+ is a wall
= is a lever operated hatch
Loaded minecarts are sent in from the top right at a slow speed. They reach the edge of the track and fall onto the hatch (assume they don't spill just by dropping). Further minecarts keep falling down that 1x1 chute until you have a tall column of loaded minecarts. When it's go time, lever-open the hatch. The minecarts fall one by one onto the roller and get accelerated autonomously. Reloading the 'machine gun clip' would take time, but that just means you duplicate this multiple times with tall enough clips that by the time you run out, the target is eliminated and further waves are bridged off.

The hatch can be replaced with a bridge if it matters for minecarts to stay on 'tracks'.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:19 am »

Minecart machine-gun?  I like this idea.
I'm excited for the computing possibilities minecarts raise.  If they trigger pressure plates, that is.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 09, 2012, 11:37:21 am »

Minecart machine-gun?  I like this idea.
I'm excited for the computing possibilities minecarts raise.  If they trigger pressure plates, that is.
If I read right, that is a yes.
They will Trigger Plates.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 09, 2012, 12:21:33 pm »

Well, I guess they will make for easier computers.
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 09, 2012, 12:30:31 pm »

As I just found out, minecarts will trigger pressure plates, and apparently can even trigger them differently based on weight.  I'm already thinking up some plans for minecart-clocks, which could then be used in logic systems and defense.  There are so many possibilities for minecart-based logic.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:44 pm »

Do I need to construct special ramps for the carts, or will channel-ramps do?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #613 on: April 09, 2012, 12:45:44 pm »

Natural ramps and constructed ramps behave the same way, so I'd say no

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:09 pm »

There will be track items, which you can build like a floor.  In fact, they are floors, being walkable, and cannot be built atop existing floor constructions.  So, you might see "b-C-t" for "build-Construction-tracks".  Using this, you can build tracks anywhere that you could build a floor.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 95