Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250433 times)

Infiltrator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #450 on: April 07, 2012, 07:22:49 am »

Im sceptical about this whole minecart thing. I mean, if we had some simple explosives to put into the carts they'd propably make great weapons. But I can't see them becoming efficient for the transport of items unless they transport a dwarf and the dwarf considers the minecart in his pathfinding.

Death to the heretic!
GENERATION 25:
The second time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 2 to the generation. (Slight mutations allowed)
Sociopathic experiment.

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #451 on: April 07, 2012, 07:48:36 am »

Im sceptical about this whole minecart thing. I mean, if we had some simple explosives to put into the carts they'd propably make great weapons. But I can't see them becoming efficient for the transport of items unless they transport a dwarf and the dwarf considers the minecart in his pathfinding.

Death to the heretic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g&t=3m37s
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2012, 08:27:37 am »

Now the most important question that is left is do carts collide with creatures?

Has been asked many times.

Read through all the posts.

It is worth the time spent.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 07, 2012, 08:54:40 am »

31 pages of thread and people still come in with simple ideas.  It's like "No, the greatest minds of the forum didn't consider that minecarts might hit creatures."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 07, 2012, 09:17:41 am »

.... That was a serious question. It would make half the suggestions posted here moot if that wasn't the case and so far I havn't seen anything conclusive in te devlog, or I'm just missing a line somewhere?

Actually, considering some things... If the dwarf or animal has to walk in front instead of behind, it would cause a lot of destruction if it did. You have to manually bring it to the first set of rollers or the first ramp to get it to speed. If it would then immediately roll over the dwarf pulling it it would cause a lot of work for the doctor.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:22:15 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:01 am »

You have not seen anything conclusive and the devlog has yet to answer it, so we have no official confirmation or denial.  But of these 30+ pages in this thread, the theme of "let's hit shit with minecarts" has been everywhere.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 07, 2012, 09:24:33 am »

You have not seen anything conclusive and the devlog has yet to answer it, so we have no official confirmation or denial.  But of these 30+ pages in this thread, the theme of "let's hit shit with minecarts" has been everywhere.

again:
.... That was a serious question.

It was not a suggestion, it was a question. note the spelling differences and consider the differences. I was hoping somehow someone read something in the logs or somewhere else that I didn't know of... I guess it was foolish of me to ask a question.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 07, 2012, 09:26:58 am »

Garath raises a good point - we don't know yet what levels of interaction are possible. He's not saying we haven't considered weaponising them; frankly, if we hadn't by now then I'd wonder if I was on the wrong forum somehow.

He's pointing out we don't know what (non-weaponised) interactions are possible. I think.

But that's by-the-by. They're still minecarts.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 07, 2012, 09:31:30 am »

Garath raises a good point - we don't know yet what levels of interaction are possible. He's not saying we haven't considered weaponising them; frankly, if we hadn't by now then I'd wonder if I was on the wrong forum somehow.

He's pointing out we don't know what (non-weaponised) interactions are possible. I think.

But that's by-the-by. They're still minecarts.

and asking if anyone knows more than me, which is always likely. That doesn't mean we can't speculate about how they can be used as weapons.

For example, if there are barrels of booze inside one made of wood, and one of lignite or something that is on fire bumps into it, would it light the other cart on fire, would the fire then spread to the barrels and would you get a boozesplosion?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 07, 2012, 09:36:00 am »

It was not a suggestion, it was a question. note the spelling differences and consider the differences. I was hoping somehow someone read something in the logs or somewhere else that I didn't know of... I guess it was foolish of me to ask a question.
No, what you wrote wasn't foolish. Your oversight was in what you didn't write in addition: that you already know this thread has braindumped a lot of ideas on minecarts hitting things and that you've read the devlogs but were hoping there was some additional source of information (e.g. FotF thread) that shed more light.

These 'context headers' aren't used in normal conversation (and indeed, downright are annoyingly verbose when spoken out loud) but forum communication is a very different protocol.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 07, 2012, 09:40:58 am »

anyone thinking I wouldn't know about all the ideas has him or herself not read much in this thread, I regularly post in here. Including commenting on someone who had the bright suggestion that we should consider weaponizing minecarts a few pages back, so I felt it a little bit uncalled for. I might have overreacted because of that, just a little bit.

edit:

heh, just realised it doesn't look regular since about 3 to 6 pages get added any time I sleep
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:43:36 am by Garath »

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 07, 2012, 09:48:38 am »

Heh. Devlog post today made me think of minecart logic engines. Now what would we use those for?

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 07, 2012, 10:03:13 am »

Quote from: Toady One
I added track "stop" constructions, which greatly increase the friction in a square and cause (most) carts to stop (say, blocks, narrowing grooves, whatever might work).
So he is modeling friction.  Perpetual motion machines are going to be tricky.  I wonder if we can carve/build rails under water, or if magma-safe rails will indeed survive contact with magma.  If that's the case, will rail tiles covered in water/magma have higher friction?  If a track ends without a stop block, will the cart keep going, subject to a higher friction value for non-rail tiles?

I sincerely hope we get a new type of drawbridge with built-in rails.
There are constructed tracks, and bridges now also act as tracks. Pressure plates can be given a weight range for being triggered by carts.
I asked, and I have received!  With a heaping helping of pressure plate logic on the side!  It is clear that we must time a cart moving over a pressure plate at max speed such that the cart is on top of the connected drawbridge by the time the raise signal propagates.  To see what happens.  For !!SCIENCE!!

There are powered "rollers" placed in strips that increase the speed of minecarts in a given direction, up to a point (more than enough to get them up a ramp, anyway).
Toady One, if you are reading this, please for the love of Armok make this maximum speed moddable.  Maybe as a tag for the roller object, in a manner that allows different max speeds for rollers made out of different materials.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 07, 2012, 10:19:55 am »

anyone thinking I wouldn't know about all the ideas has him or herself not read much in this thread, I regularly post in here. Including commenting on someone who had the bright suggestion that we should consider weaponizing minecarts a few pages back, so I felt it a little bit uncalled for. I might have overreacted because of that, just a little bit.

edit:

heh, just realised it doesn't look regular since about 3 to 6 pages get added any time I sleep
The thing about forum reading is, people often don't pay attention to who is actually making the post. The important part is the ideas and arguments, not who said what. Unless the writing style or content is distinctly individual, we are part of the faceless masses.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 07, 2012, 10:22:51 am »

There are powered "rollers" placed in strips that increase the speed of minecarts in a given direction, up to a point (more than enough to get them up a ramp, anyway).
Toady One, if you are reading this, please for the love of Armok make this maximum speed moddable.  Maybe as a tag for the roller object, in a manner that allows different max speeds for rollers made out of different materials.

You're thinking space pods? Shooting down the moon to mine it sounds workable.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 95