Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250347 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #315 on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:49 pm »

...  It should also be interesting to get the minecarts onto the bridge. I predict a minecart-chute where you can drop them from above onto the desired target. This assuming, of course, that the minecarts can't be hauled onto a bridge.

Minecarts being tool items, should probably respect all the other rules of tool items in that you can haul them, dump them, stockpile them, hit people with them as an adventurer, etc.

Since tool items can also support [ATTACK:x] tokens, sharpened minecarts?

I'm worried about dwarves wandering onto the tracks.

Acceptable losses. No OSHA compliance.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 05, 2012, 10:42:43 pm »

Well, there's clearly going to be tons of !!SCIENCE!! to do.  I'm excited.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:05 pm »

Objects of different weights fall at the same speed. Galileo proved that, if I recall correctly. I've also got the strong suspicion that minecarts will have to be unloaded by dwarves while at a full-stop.

Not exactly. All objects on earth accelerate at the same rate, given that the earth is so huge that the gravitational force is roughly equal for both. This means that two objects, dropped at the same time, will be falling at the same rate at any given time, regardless of mass. If they are dropped at different times then whichever fell first (or equivalently, whichever has fallen through the greater distance) has had more time to accelerate and thus will be moving faster.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 05, 2012, 10:45:34 pm »

Objects of different weights fall at the same speed. Galileo proved that, if I recall correctly. I've also got the strong suspicion that minecarts will have to be unloaded by dwarves while at a full-stop.

Not exactly. All objects on earth accelerate at the same rate, given that the earth is so huge that the gravitational force is roughly equal for both. This means that two objects, dropped at the same time, will be falling at the same rate at any given time, regardless of mass. If they are dropped at different times then whichever fell first (or equivalently, whichever has fallen through the greater distance) has had more time to accelerate and thus will be moving faster.
I know all this. :P It's what I meant. Of course you'd expect something you just dropped to move more slowly than something you dropped five seconds before. I just didn't bother getting technical.

EDIT:
...  It should also be interesting to get the minecarts onto the bridge. I predict a minecart-chute where you can drop them from above onto the desired target. This assuming, of course, that the minecarts can't be hauled onto a bridge.

Minecarts being tool items, should probably respect all the other rules of tool items in that you can haul them, dump them, stockpile them, hit people with them as an adventurer, etc.
Good point... but they would have to be different than just tools to collide with anything, or hold anything.

I'm worried about dwarves wandering onto the tracks.

Acceptable losses. No OSHA compliance.
Not acceptable. These are dwarves we're talking about. As I'm sure you know, dwarves are idiots. They'll all be wandering onto the tracks - intentionally. Possibly even out of spite.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:48:24 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 05, 2012, 10:51:39 pm »

What would it accomplish?

It would let you use 2 carts in a continual 'self kicking' kinetic corridor sweeper.

The straightaway before the waterfall could be the entrance you force goblins through.

The "adds more than enough energy at collision" provides for the imposed drag of gibbing goblins on the way to the waterfall.

Basically, the gobbos go into the 1 tile wide corridor in order to get into the fortress because you close the bridge on the front door.  The corridor is fairly long, so the goblins take awhile to traverse it.  The cart comes in the same way they do, but is much aster, and much more deadly. It plows through a dozen or so goblins, hits the waterfall, fills up, and dives down the track. It hits the emtpy car, shooting it up the rest of the track back to the origin point to repeat the cycle.

While the car is in transit, the stationary car is emptied of water.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 05, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »

I'm very interested in the effects of gravity on minecarts. Oneway tracks and all that.

Also drop pods.

Did I mention drop pods?

We have these already. Dwarfs call them kittens.

** for those not in the know about dwarf aerial reconnaissance military operation kill squads (ARMOKS), this are troopers who take advantage of the peculiar effects of gravity in DF. Should your dwarf fall, as long as they land on a creature ( the kitten chained to the spot) they will take NO falling damage and both creatures will survive. This allows for reuse and reset. Simply station on the dock platform and pull.

" Arse first, straight into HFS!" - ARMOKS battle cry.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 05, 2012, 11:04:48 pm »

We'll have to border the tracks with walls except at loading and unloading stations, won't we?

I'm really not that worried about it- dwarves are pretty resilient unless the injury is pretty big, let's be honest. It's just that we create lots of situations with big injuries. So unless a dwarf is standing at the bottom of a 50-z-level-deep straight track that's used to carry native platinum to the magma furnaces, minecart collisions probably won't result in horrible injuries.

On the other hand, they'll probably upset the minecart.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 05, 2012, 11:06:24 pm »

On the other hand, they'll probably upset the minecart.
Exactly. Well said.

Black_Legion, I lol'd. :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 05, 2012, 11:10:20 pm »

soon... soon my fortress entrance will be a twisted game of frogger during seiges.  do we know if floodgates and such block carts so they can be "triggered" by Elfs invaders?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 05, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »

I just want to set mine up as a 'magma collector'
ie
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 05, 2012, 11:13:21 pm »

I just want to set mine up as a 'magma collector'

Why does your magma chamber look just like a giant hospital urinal?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 05, 2012, 11:15:01 pm »

I think that could work, but not quite like that.

But something like this:

Code: [Select]
LLLLLLLL
XXXXXXX
RRRRRRR
XXXXXXX
LLLLLLLL

L = Lava
X = Floodgate
R =Rail
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:28 pm »

It actually looks like my current magma setup, just a pool with a small opening in the corner, plus magma is naturally orangey or naturally redish.. Doesn't really matter... IT'S JUST A FUCKING DRAWING SETTLE DOWN.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 05, 2012, 11:22:58 pm »

There's an idea.... could you use tracks going through a river to impart energy to a car?

Eg, you have a river.

You dump magma on it to freeze it over.

You mine out the obsidian from the riverbed except for some end caps to hold the river back.

On the river bed, going in the direction of flow, you build the cart track.

You channel away the plugs.

When the cart goes down the track, does it follow it under water? If it does, the energy of the moving water push the cart? If so, by how much?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 05, 2012, 11:24:08 pm »

By 50 urists exactly.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 95