Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250344 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #345 on: April 06, 2012, 02:21:28 am »

What if I do this.

Where the roof is supported by supports on every square, and the water is under the floor of the thing so that if the floor is destroyed, the water around the edge turns into obsidian while the middle stays water, and theoretically the smr only destroys blocks so it should stay there..

The short answer is, if you drop a hollow ball with a dwarf inside in a cave-in to the bottom of the magma or ocean, it will always resemble a cup after it has landed because the ceiling has dropped until it touches the floor. Dwarf paste every time, no exceptions.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 06, 2012, 02:23:27 am »

In any case, the capsule can't have a ceiling, as that will fall onto the dwarf.  Make it a cup, an nverted diving bell, with tall enough walls to keep the magma out.  Cave in dust may still pulverise the dwarf, but he would at least have a chance.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 06, 2012, 02:27:10 am »

make the walls higher than the tube. roof = not needed.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2012, 02:31:48 am »

The SMR would STILL instantaneously destroy any constructed or naturals walls and floors or items on it. Also, even if the SMR didn't destroy it, the magma that took up the hollow center of the box would still be there, and the magma that was occupying the tiles the walls are in at present would have appeared on top of the walls magma-piston style, and flood over everything.

Your plan doesn't really hold up to the pressure, but it's still one of the oldest suggested "stupid dorf tricks" I can think of.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 06, 2012, 02:38:19 am »

mod in SMR and build the floor out of it.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2012, 02:39:44 am »

Oh right!  Totally forgot the magma piston effect.  Yeah, the dwarf would fry.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 06, 2012, 04:05:39 am »

I think that when the next release comes out, I need to build a checkerboard. So the Circus will bow to my will. After it has been sealed, I shall build a rollercoaster which goes down one adamantine tube, does a loopty loop, and then rockets up out of another tube.

Even better, actually attach this to my hauling network.

..Have you been peeking at my to-do list for that release? 

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 06, 2012, 04:06:12 am »

Spoiler: My fortress is ready. (click to show/hide)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 06, 2012, 04:10:35 am »

I just saw the latest devblog update and apparently the carts gain speed going downhill and lose a little speed uphill.  They'll also fly in parabolic arcs when let loose.  I think my project will be to see if I can predictably and reliably launch a cart and land it on another track, continuing on its way down into the bowels of the fort.

What would be cool is if we could use gearboxes or something machine-powered to create something like a 'spinner' beside a minecart track that accelerates it.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2012, 04:14:05 am »

Japa, your fort brings me much happiness.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 06, 2012, 04:45:49 am »

We'll have to do science to see how far a cart will fly, and how high the parabolic path will be, given how long the slope was.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 06, 2012, 04:54:04 am »

Taking bets on how long it takes for someone to create a perpetual motion machine with minecarts that just keeps going faster, and faster, and faster, and faster...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #357 on: April 06, 2012, 05:06:11 am »

I'm very interested in the effects of gravity on minecarts. Oneway tracks and all that.

Also drop pods.

Did I mention drop pods?

Drop pods?  We would need to determine survivability of occupants!

Survivability is secondary. We have no shortage of a lot of things, but chief amongst them are Dwarfs and Cats. And I'll be damned if I can't find a way to use both of them to fling corpses, metal boxes and berserk axelords at innocent merchants.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 06, 2012, 05:38:09 am »

Disregard this, my battered internet is playing up due to a storm.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 06, 2012, 06:04:44 am »

This is possibly the most awesome thing to hit dwarf fortress since... I'm not sure what an apt comparison would be, but this is still pretty bloody awesome.

I hope like hell that creatures can be placed in them; imagine the hilarious potential of loading goblins up, flinging them gaily through the air...

With a magma cannon, you could even have a sort of clay pigeon shooting thing going.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 95