Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Carts and tracks  (Read 29457 times)

McFlow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carts and tracks
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2012, 07:18:54 am »

Although I would like to contribute more, I cannot do anything else then gasp at Toady's last dev-log:

Quote from: Toady One
I added track "stop" constructions, which greatly increase the friction in a square and cause (most) carts to stop (say, blocks, narrowing grooves, whatever might work). These stopping points will generally be where the hauling jobs take place. There are constructed tracks, and bridges now also act as tracks. Pressure plates can be given a weight range for being triggered by carts. I tested it out by making a retracting bridge system that sorted carts by whether or not they were loaded. I knew it was working when I started making little kerchunk sounds at the screen. There are powered "rollers" placed in strips that increase the speed of minecarts in a given direction, up to a point (more than enough to get them up a ramp, anyway). I don't have an engineering sense at all, so you can imagine the rollers to be... whatever you like. Perhaps they even make sense. Carts can also collide with each other, whether they are on the ground or in the air, and are generally one-cart-per-tile, though that can be violated where the code treats them more like general items (I doubt I'll be able to catch all of the cases, but I'll try to get the ones that matter). It will require a bit of tweaking to look good, but I did stack some carts vertically and shot a cart through the air into the middle of the stack, disrupting it, so that was fun.

*GASPS*
I embarked on an island, saw the ocean was frozen, and decided to dig a fort in there. I forgot that it wasn't a freezing biome...

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2012, 07:36:24 am »

*GASPS*

One doesnt know where to start - if you should focus on infrastructure, stations, multiple lanes, junctions or rather devise an ultimate gobobowling machine or  LCC - Large Cart Collider ...

Personally, this update is most probably be much more interetsting than step from 31 to 34!
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

McFlow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2012, 07:50:38 am »

Yes! The possibilities are endless! Although the first application is crystal clear. Weaponize first, use for efficiency purposes later.
I embarked on an island, saw the ocean was frozen, and decided to dig a fort in there. I forgot that it wasn't a freezing biome...

erthel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2012, 07:57:41 am »

Back to TTD mechanics!

http://www.openttd.org/en/

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2012, 11:40:16 am »

So, if the carts go flying and fall in a parabola onto a down ramp with tracks does the cart keep going on the tracks?

McFlow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2012, 12:02:51 pm »

So, if the carts go flying and fall in a parabola onto a down ramp with tracks does the cart keep going on the tracks?

We don't know the features for sure until the update comes out, so these kind of questions are pointless.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2012, 12:15:27 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
There are powered "rollers" placed in strips that increase the speed of minecarts in a given direction, up to a point (more than enough to get them up a ramp, anyway).

Que dwarven space program....

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2012, 03:27:32 pm »

Also dwarvern rail-gun research. Lead carts (for best momentum to cost ratio) and as many accelerators as possible = instant siege ender

I'm guessing the accelerators will require mechanisms and power. This release is going to lead to a complete redesign of fortresses, possibly cart subways and the occasional water reactor to power the accelerators.

This won't be that useful in mining until there's a big change mineral veins.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2012, 08:10:21 pm »

Toady talked about how mining will require the likes of wheelbarrows, so I'm assuming there's going to be a big change in stone and minerals, already.

Some of the threads that popularized different mining and minecart mechanics talked about how mining should not "vaporize" stone and soil, and how debris should need to be cleared out before further mining could be accomplished.  From how Toady talks about the wheelbarrows, presumably, mining will soon cause debris that needs to be cleared out with a minecart or wheelbarrow before it can be traversed or made usable. 

The net effect may be that mining is made much slower, and above-ground forts (or fort sections) may become more popular.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2012, 08:19:58 pm »

You'll probably want at least two sets of tracks on every level, so yeah this will be a big change.

I suspect that the carts will continue moving from flight if they land on ramps, at the least.

If they can go under water (and magma), you could send them through water to issolate sections of the track, such as your front gate, so only carts can go through. Great for playing Frogger.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2012, 08:21:39 pm »

Toady talked about how mining will require the likes of wheelbarrows, so I'm assuming there's going to be a big change in stone and minerals, already.

Some of the threads that popularized different mining and minecart mechanics talked about how mining should not "vaporize" stone and soil, and how debris should need to be cleared out before further mining could be accomplished.  From how Toady talks about the wheelbarrows, presumably, mining will soon cause debris that needs to be cleared out with a minecart or wheelbarrow before it can be traversed or made usable. 

The net effect may be that mining is made much slower, and above-ground forts (or fort sections) may become more popular.

we need better building than, as currently building above ground constructions is an annoying clusterfuck of inefficiency and stupidity.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »

This is always the community's reaction to something new. It's what's best about you guys: first you weaponize it, then you mod it to be a better weapon, then you mod it to be better at its original intention, and then you actually use it the way it was intended to be used.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2012, 10:29:38 pm »

I don't think we'll see a change in mining yet. It'd make more sense for toady to make sure carts are fully sorted out and any game breaking bugs are squished before beginning on mineral veins.

Minecart tracks will probably cause the biggest change to fortress design since z levels, at least if you don't want your dwarfs being run down. So it'll probably need a little while to get used to.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2012, 10:31:39 pm »

Toady already said there was going to be tweaks into mining. And it's implied, that these changes will require the use of wheel barrows.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2012, 07:32:17 am »

I hope that we'll be able to turn the rubble into some sort of wall or...something...if there is rubble...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11