Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Possible bug - drastic speed decrease on high stat adventurer  (Read 12175 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Possible bug - drastic speed decrease on high stat adventurer
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »

Small increases in weight by things like water or tiny incremental changes in muscle mass are not going to cause a drop in speed of 500 points or 1/4 of your total speed.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 03:01:53 am »

Oh yes, you have right. So leave 1 direction empty. Or... When you are sorroundet, go sleep for 8 hours, and wait... ;]
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 02:33:54 pm »

I was skilling shield/armor/dodge versus a poor emu, and my speed was rising like it always does. It was 1600++ and suddenly fell down to 1300 :| I have saved/reloaded, removed every item, rested and so on but the drop is still there.

He does have "incredibly muscular" in his description, but I don't know when he got that.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 03:37:28 pm »

If it keeps happening, then it is not a bug.

Wrong. Reproducibility is what defines a bug as a bug.

Emptiness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »

Well, I was having the same problem, was looking for solution and decided to make an account here and write about it, since I'm quite a fan of DF.

So this has happened to me two times.. I created demigod human adventurer... After some time of playing I decided I should become a vampire + necromancer since no resting really is great. So after a while (I'm not sure if it was after becoming vampire or necromancer my speed decreased from over 1800 to 1000 or 800).

Now, my second time (same with demigod human), same thing happened, but this time I was paying a lot more attention. I found a necromancer tower just near start, rushed there (saved before it), picked the book and read it. Speed didn't change at all, picking heavy stuff only lowered my speed from 2057 to 2000 and reduced it by 50 furthermore... After some time of quick traveling my speed decreased to 1305 or something. I was not on ground neither was I swimming, sneaking etc... Dropped everything in my inventory, my speed only increased to 1400.

So the possible options probably are:
- as soon as you become a vampire your speed lowers by ridiculous amount,
- same with necromancer, speed drastically decreases,
- or maybe just playing demigod person triggers this.

I really want to know if this is just a feature and I'm not informed about this matter enough, or a possible bug. People, if you have similar problems write them down, so we can compare a little, or if anyone knows the reason, do tell.

cya Emptiness

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 06:34:02 pm »

Your adventurers have had something to eat or drink lately, correct?

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 07:29:22 pm »

My adventurer still gets thirsty and hungry, and eating/drinking does not alter the speed much.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 04:52:09 am »

Small increases in weight by things like water or tiny incremental changes in muscle mass are not going to cause a drop in speed of 500 points or 1/4 of your total speed.

I'm not even sure if your own muscle mass slows you down. But yeah, does being generally stronger and more buff slow you down a bit?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 09:10:33 am »

I don't think the speed decrease is due to vampirism.  I have had it happen for vampires, but I've equally had it happen for demigods who aren't vampires.  I think the vampire connection was made because most people try to make their adventurers vampires sooner or later.

Getting stronger makes you better able to carry weight.  Even if it didn't, there's no way a slight increase in muscle mass could cause 400 points of speed to be permanently wiped out.

Emptiness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 01:08:07 pm »

As vampire or necromancer you don't need to eat drink or sleep so eating or drinking doesn't change your speed, so blah...
This must be triggered by some random event. Save 1 - speed 2057, moved around 4 squares in region map, speed decreases (I crash the game). Load 1. Move more than 50 region squares, speed stays the same. Save 2 - move around a bit, near a town, my speed decreases again (crash the game again), so load 2. Probably gonna keep doing this

And I totally agree with Leafsnail...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 05:46:15 am »

The fact that it's so sudden honestly makes me think this might be some kind of obscure integer overflow. 

There are multiple factors involved in speed, and it's possible that one of them (possibly a strength-related one) overflows fairly easily, changing a positive to a negative.  The variable seems to be one of changing a +200 speed to a -200 speed, so to speak (the whole number is actually an inverse, but you get the idea...)

Oh, and Emptiness, if you could add a save before the rollover to DFFD, and add it to the bug report as additional evidence, it would help. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 01:32:03 pm »

SCIENCE!

arena mode testing with modding:
Code: [Select]
str  agil spd  wt  ∆wt str/∆wt
5    5    855  36  0   -
5    1000 991  36  0   -
5    5000 2192 36  0   -
1000 1000 965  77  41  24.4
1000 5000 1760 77  41  24.4
2000 5000 1468 117 81  24.7
3500 5000 1290 180 144 24.3
5000 5000 1290 242 206 24.3
5000 5    1290 242 206 24.3

I forced dwarves to have various strength and agility values, and then checked their walking speed and body weight.

The portion of the body weight that corresponds to muscle scales linearly with strength. The weight is in urists, which are the same as kilograms, so a weakling dwarf is ~80 lbs whereas a muscledorf can be ~530 lbs. That's 450 lbs of muscle and 80 lbs of everything else. Random body size variation has been disabled, so tall and wide muscledorfs could probably be ~800 lbs.

Note how every little bit of strength and muscle penalizes your strength. A weakling dwarf with high agility is faster than an average strength dwarf with high agility. Therefore, a creature who gains strength is similar to one that carries lots of heavy items, in that your strength is determining your speed rather than your agility. The only way for you to be super fast and super strong is if you don't have [THICKENS_ON_STRENGTH] in your muscle tissue definition.

This: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5231 is the vampire bug (with a Toady explanation), and something similar may happen for other strength gain cases.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:15 pm »

There's probably a similar bug with werebeast form. When my char became werecoyote, speed dropped along with agility, then phys traits redeveloped quickly, speed a little more slowly. On returning back to normal form and original stats, I was still down 600 speed, probably because due to increased muscle mass which wasn't removed with the strength increase.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 07:26:10 pm »

I have to honestly say that it's a bit strange that Dwarves increases that much in weight with increase of Strenght , I've known people that Can probably lift 2x to 3x their weight http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlift and their weight ranges are bellow that of the dwarves (320lbs).

Someone who would be extremely agile and extremely strong is in my opinion someone who uses his muscles far better than a normal person , thus he would not necessarily be a huge brute walking around, but someone who makes better use of his body than most normal dwarves.

An increase of both strength and agility should not penalize speed gain at least in my opinion

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 07:33:24 pm »

I would guess dwarves have the biological predispositors toward gaining mass at a higher ratio to strength, but not necessarily 1:1, only modern weight training does that. Most physical exercise a dwarf or adventurer would do would build strength faster than bulk.
Pages: 1 [2] 3