Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 57116 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Angry Laser Space - Now v0.9! (a game by Shook and Chartle)
« Reply #315 on: February 14, 2014, 09:36:35 pm »

oh you cheeky blighter

:U

Anyways, sounds like the relevant DLL hasn't been exported. If you haven't already unzipped the file, try doing so. If that doesn't work, try running in admin mode so the game can export the necessary files (and/or make it so the folder you have it in is modifiable). If THAT doesn't work, i'll update the download tomorrow so it includes that DLL. :I
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 14, 2014, 10:54:07 pm »

I just played this a bit. Balance-wise, I think machineguns could have a bit higher firerate, since the other weapons are all superior - beams for instant-hit and high damage, rockets for high damage and AoE, and the original weapon (I can't remember the name) for bullet spam with decent damage. Maybe also make machinegun fire larger to hit things a little bit easier?

The beam lasers are really fun to use, especially when you have all the later upgrades. It makes the screen fill with lasers, and the super shots can almost kill Leviathans.

Rockets are fun because you're spamming rockets.

I have not played with the original weapons this update yet, so I don't have much to say.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 14, 2014, 11:24:28 pm »

You know you're doing something wrong when you can only almost kill leviathans with a super. Hell, I one-shot them on a regular basis, and pulses are only half as strong as lasers.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 15, 2014, 05:58:37 am »

Yeah, I unzippped it and it worked.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #319 on: February 15, 2014, 07:30:01 pm »

Excellent, glad to hear that. c:

You know you're doing something wrong when you can only almost kill leviathans with a super. Hell, I one-shot them on a regular basis, and pulses are only half as strong as lasers.
The pulse and beam supers actually do the same damage overall (pulse does x20 damage, beam does x10)... However, the fun begins when you get spread super shot, which effectively triples the amount of blast for your buck. Why is this so hideously unbalanced? Because at the moment, the singular super shot you fire without the spread super upgrade still does take the damage reduction from spread shot into account, so your late game supers will actually be weaker than your first ones if you buy spread shot without going into the offense ladder. Terrible, i know. :I

I just played this a bit. Balance-wise, I think machineguns could have a bit higher firerate, since the other weapons are all superior - beams for instant-hit and high damage, rockets for high damage and AoE, and the original weapon (I can't remember the name) for bullet spam with decent damage. Maybe also make machinegun fire larger to hit things a little bit easier?

The beam lasers are really fun to use, especially when you have all the later upgrades. It makes the screen fill with lasers, and the super shots can almost kill Leviathans.

Rockets are fun because you're spamming rockets.

I have not played with the original weapons this update yet, so I don't have much to say.
Actually, all weapons have identical DPS to begin with, which should be exactly 30. Where they do differ is the amount of shots needed to kill an enemy, where the rockets actually lag behind to begin with, since they need two shots to kill the first few enemies just like the pulse guns. What this means is that every pulse gun can kill an enemy every 2/3rds of a second, whereas the rocket launchers take a whole second for each. They compensate for this by having a super that can absolutely murder the shit out of dense crowds of enemies, and in the later game, their effective damage per shot rises to that of the beam guns (and, at the moment, they can kill spaceblocks extremely quickly when you get shield piercing).

Also, re: leviathans, aim for their neck with a super for an easy kill. :U (the head loses health for each section destroyed, smashing them all also destroys the head)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 15, 2014, 08:18:50 pm »

After playing with the different weapons, I think that it's just that machinegun bullets just aren't as interesting to look at as the other things until you get the splinter and triple-shot upgrades. I suggest some kind of visual effect when they hit something to make them seem like they do more. When I play with them, I tend to do as well as or better than the other weapons (based on XP level and $ that I get compared to what game level I am on.), but it just doesn't seem that way.

Edit: I'm not trying to sound like I don't like this game; it's really fun to play. I'm just trying to offer constructive criticism.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:20:19 pm by TheDarkStar »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 15, 2014, 08:35:57 pm »

Just showed this to Wolfeyez. Her reaction? O.O "Goodness gracious! So. Many. Bullets."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2014, 08:00:48 pm »

Try opening Config.ini and setting Apeshit to 1, then show her once more. Normal mode is ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE BULLETS

:U

Especially so on EPIC MAN MODE >:C since that adds another 50%. ;o

After playing with the different weapons, I think that it's just that machinegun bullets just aren't as interesting to look at as the other things until you get the splinter and triple-shot upgrades. I suggest some kind of visual effect when they hit something to make them seem like they do more. When I play with them, I tend to do as well as or better than the other weapons (based on XP level and $ that I get compared to what game level I am on.), but it just doesn't seem that way.

Edit: I'm not trying to sound like I don't like this game; it's really fun to play. I'm just trying to offer constructive criticism.
Totally legit, i'm not offended or anything. I definitely need to add some cooler effects for the machine guns, since their current effects are rather lackluster. A better impact flash would definitely help, yes.

Also, progress has been a bit slow lately, but rest assured that some is being made. For one, i'm implementing a new timer system, which means that even with wildly variant frame rates (like what somehow happened in Akhier's videos), everything should behave consistently in relation to real time. I've already implemented it on all enemies, and so far it's a resounding success, since even with the frame rate switching EVERY FRAME to a random integer between 30 and 120, their shots are fired at a constant rate (read: DOES NOT VARY), so hopefully the next version will perform smoothly in pretty much every possible case.

I've also been working on rebalancing the second boss, since it is indeed REALLY hard in its current incarnation. For one, its rockets no longer penetrate your shields, and generally do much less damage than they did before, although they're still threatening if your dodging isn't up to scratch. Secondly, the initial phase no longer fires large yellow shots, but rather a spread of small yellow ones, which at the moment is probably a bit too hard to dodge, but at least it doesn't hit for 25 damage every time. With a wider spread, i'm sure it'll both be more visually impressive and also less painful to fight.

As for what Chartle is doing? I'll let him explain when he feels like it. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »

Yay rebalancing.

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #324 on: March 17, 2014, 11:14:39 pm »

I finally beat the new version of the game on baby mode. Those leviathans are killers!

It is very fun, even if it requires more skill than I can usually muster.
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #325 on: March 22, 2014, 09:59:40 am »

Super glad to hear that! We're hoping to make it a liiiiiittle less punishing though, especially the second boss. Also, we should probably make a proper "tips and tricks" section, since the order in which you buy upgrades is actually rather significant. :P

also i am pleased to report that boolets now look 20% cooler and fly 20% faster

dakkadakka

Also worth noting is that this screenshot is taken with a wildly variant frame rate. It only really shows on certain cosmetic effects, which i personally think is pretty neat, since it means that the gameplay is consistent despite said frame rate variance.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »

My fingers hurt. :(

But I had fun! Thanks guys! :)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 22, 2014, 02:24:47 pm »

Bug report!

In the last level,
Spoiler: minor spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, the fact that leviathans are a one-hit kill can be kind of annoying. Maybe if they did a ton of damage (~75% on Normal) and were only a one-hit kill on the highest difficulties? That, or give some sort of warning on the edge of the screen just before they appear.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 22, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »

I like the idea of having a warning indicator before a Leviathan shows up.

As for the second and third bosses, why not switch them? In a playthrough where I had everything unlocked for both bosses (I messed with some settings), I had a MUCH easier time with the red boss than the yellow one.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #329 on: March 22, 2014, 04:16:47 pm »

They're placed like they are mostly because the third boss is more visually menacing, and i like to have visual consistency within the game. :v
What we're going to do, however, is nerf the second boss and buff the third one a little. In its v0.9 state, the second boss is disproportionately hard compared to other things at that point, likely because it's the only enemy so far with homing shots that also deal very significant damage. Now they deal much less damage, and also have to get past your shield before damaging you, AND are comparatively ineffective against shields.

Bug report!

In the last level,
Spoiler: minor spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, the fact that leviathans are a one-hit kill can be kind of annoying. Maybe if they did a ton of damage (~75% on Normal) and were only a one-hit kill on the highest difficulties? That, or give some sort of warning on the edge of the screen just before they appear.
Fair point, i've also been thinking about giving red wedges a warning if you were close to the sides. Making them not kill you would be hard to make work properly though, because i refuse to have a ship of that size simply explode when it hits you, so giving a fair warning would probably be the best option.

Also, bug confirmed, there's definitely something wrong with the leviathans as it is right now. Working to fix ASAP, wouldn't want you guys to miss out on the fun. ;o

My fingers hurt. :(

But I had fun! Thanks guys! :)
Glad to hear that! Sorry that we had to break your fingers in order to bring you fun, but hey, something for something, knowwhatimsayin? ;)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26