Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 57186 times)

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
Re: Angry Laser Space - a WIP game by yers truly
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2013, 02:00:40 pm »

Sweet
The music fits perfectly.
Really excited to see the new version when it comes out
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2013, 02:06:17 pm »

Thanks for the music sneak peek, I like it!

One thing that a friend of mine pointed out was that this would be great game to play in browser and I cant say I disagree. Do you think thats a possibility?

EDIT: Whats the name of the menu song? Is it by aureametaphus, I tried finding it from his page but no luck. I really loved that one in particular and was hoping it would be available somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:32:26 pm by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2013, 03:00:06 pm »

Playing in a browser? Very unlikely, unless browsers can handle EXE files. Also, the next version comes with a Config.ini file, which holds the options and such, which would be rather difficult to get into a browser.
Also, yes, the menu theme is by Aureametaphus too, but as mentioned, he has more or less withdrawn from the internet. The only pages i've found that aren't deactivated are his Youtube and his Bandcamp, none of which have the music that was once available on Newgrounds. I do have the tracks on my disk, but honestly i'm not really sure if i should be sharing them at all, given that he has withdrawn them from Newgrounds. I'd like to do so, but i don't want to harm his business or break any copyrights. :/

@theTrueMikeBrown: Excellent, i hope we won't disappoint too much. I know it might be suffering from overhype at the moment. :I
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2013, 05:43:42 pm »

Lincoln says it best:

Also, Chartle deserves a bigger slice of your hate regarding this particular boss though, he made 95% of it. I mostly just sprited it and tweaked it a bit. The spawning of the strafers in particular is a touch of trolltastic genius by him, hee hee.

Oh yeah, i shall also bring your attention to a video that basheman AKA Sebastian made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RvN3sYU6o

it contains moar glorious moosic

his channel also deserves more attention than it's getting

Other than that, been mostly bugfixing today, because i ran across some annoying little things. But, it is with a great trollface that i can say that yellow deflector shields now deflect your shots regardless of your shield penetration, though they will still take damage if you have it. Just for that extra bit of trolling. :U
A relatively minor thing would be that the beam supers now work entirely as intended, being able to plow through and kill enemies even if they're stacked closely, which it couldn't do before (it would somehow avoid hitting some enemies if they overlapped). So now it's not gimped in any way, except for it only having a single frame where it hits enemies. It hits instantly though, and is probably wider than all other individual supers (although the boolet flak super covers a larger area with its cone, and the relatively narrow rocket super has a giganormous blast area).

And finally, i can make the even more trollish announcement that level 19 is going to be 50% longer than all preceding levels. Y'all better come prepared for it. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2013, 06:11:54 am »

Welp I just epic man >:c'd the first boss :V

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2013, 12:11:29 pm »

that is

actually pretty impressive

Took me a lot of tries to do that with full upgrades (which was before the skill tree). :U
Also today marks the day where the third boss' artillery shots got prettier.

yummy

Much slower than the previous ones that you never saw, but they're also going to hurt a lot.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2013, 09:17:03 pm »

That looks scary. I wonder when someone will finish it on EPIC MAN MODE (or if it's even possible on that setting)?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2013, 09:39:45 pm »

that is

actually pretty impressive

Took me a lot of tries to do that with full upgrades (which was before the skill tree). :U
Also today marks the day where the third boss' artillery shots got prettier.

yummy

Much slower than the previous ones that you never saw, but they're also going to hurt a lot.

Neat. I'm not sure how you're rendering, but it just occurred to me that a slight blur instead of the fade could give some good depth variance. 2c.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2013, 10:07:18 pm »

The fact that it's a mode means someone can do it.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2013, 05:48:17 am »

That artillery animation makes me think we need a boss that shoots giant laser circular saw blades.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2013, 10:26:12 am »

That sounds like a totally badass thing that might happen on the final boss. :U

@Pufferfish & DarkStar: Someone out there, perhaps, but not me! I only test as far as Nightmare, everything beyond that is at your own risk. I wouldn't be surprised if EPIC MAN MODE >:C was literally impossible to complete, since there are a fair few places where surviving on Nightmare is hard enough as it is.

@acetech: It would indeed add some depth, but i don't think Game Maker does blurring, sadly. I suppose i could do it manually by having a series of increasingly blurred sprites, but i'm not sure if it's THAT important. Also, the fading is there to avoid the shots obscuring your view too much, not so much to add depth. Might yet do it though, so thanks for the idea!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2013, 05:44:00 pm »

What does change with the difficulty levels anyway?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2013, 06:53:51 pm »

Damage received, mostly. Epic man mode >:C multiplies incoming damage by 20, for instance, making everything an almost guaranteed kill especially that fucking sentry blockade in level 9 goddammit.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2013, 08:20:41 pm »

Yeah, it multiplies damage, score and most firing rates of enemies. Damage and score are the same multiplier, which doesn't have any particular formula to its values, whereas firing rate is linearly dependent on difficulty, going from 80% at baby mode :c to 150% at EPIC MAN MODE >:C. (and of course is at 100% on Normal)

Because i'm such a silly person who likes tables, here's a handy table to refer to.

So as you can see, the potential DPS rises more or less exponentially. Perhaps i should make score dependent on that and not just damage?? (as if anyone actually looks at the score right now, might end up removing it entirely)
So yeah, the only perfect defense is to not get hit. Later on, difficulties MIGHT change more things, but don't hold me up on that.

Edit: Bonus fact: if we were to make a difficulty where every shot fired by any enemy would kill you at all times despite every concievable form of defense, the damage percentage would have to be 125875%. Any damage taken that is less than 5 base damage is survivable, however, but that's probably not going to happen very often. Either that, or we add a boolean value that says "kill player y/n", which is also possible.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:39:49 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26