Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 57169 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Angry Laser Space - a WIP game by yers truly
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2013, 09:45:11 am »

wot

Speedy Share be screwing me behind my back, yo! SURPRISE BUTTSEX IS NOT WHAT I ASKED FOR. Ok, try this link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/4knron1ddh68ima/Angry%20Laser%20Space%200.6.zip?dl=1

I hope it works. Meanwhile, here's something for you to hate at. :U

Also HI CHARTLE fancy that you showed up here! c:
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:26 pm »

love it! this reminds me of galaga

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2013, 05:10:26 pm »

Radical! I hear Galaga is a pretty cool gaem, so that is a nice comparison. c: (no i have not played Galaga in my early childhood, i'm only 20)

also NEWS

this guy kills you

Also, i finally managed to make super shots behave as they should, by means of having a fixed quotient of enemy health to be able to kill/pierce (though the last one always dies). This means that at the moment, one super shot can blow up 10 wedges as opposed to an unlimited number, and only 3 yellow sentries. Also, i've begun rebalancing enemy point value, so you shouldn't be getting quite as rich in the later waves. ;o
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2013, 01:06:57 pm »

HELLO

It is with great joy that i can announce that i'm back to work on this again. Chartle has done some basic mechanics on the third boss, and i'm well on my way to having sprited it:

It's probably not going to be the mook maker i initially envisioned it as, but rather a badass artillery ship that will shoot lots of powerful things at you, and it is RED. That means it's dangerous. Red is so far the most dangerous colour. But once we get it done, i expect levels 16-19 to go relatively quickly, along with the shop finally getting its last tier upgrade.

Also, cool things: I've found out that Game Maker supports multiplayer. Although it's obviously not the most multiplayer-oriented type of game, i'm reasonably sure that two-player co-op could be done enjoyably. I've also found out that there's support for INI files, which could allow for more meta-game data to be stored (read: achievements, new game+, accessible high scores...), and in the extreme end of it, possibly allow some level creation and/or modding. First though, i'll have to finish the 1.0 version before i move on to those cool things. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2013, 01:19:08 pm »

DIS BE FANTASTIC SHIT
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »

Two-player co-op?

YES YES YES YES YES I LOVE YOU SHOOK.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2013, 01:58:04 pm »

c:

I should probably have noted that it's obviously not a guarantee, but i'll do my best to make it work (and if i can't, maybe Chartle can, hee hee). It might also take a long while before it happens, but hey, you know i like to tease the shit out of you. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2013, 03:42:00 pm »

I like the look of it.

Keep the game coming.
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2013, 05:12:37 pm »

Thanks, i will! c:

also i'll just leave this here........

the fact that the beam stops at the enemy ship is a pretty big deal

Now what does this mean? Well, it means you will, in the next version, have the option to select between weapons at the beginning. This is the... BEAM weapon. On top of being hitscan, it also hits harder than pulse lasers (standard guns) and has native piercing upon overkill, but it shoots more slowly and probably has slightly lower DPS. Now what could the third weapon possibly be? ;o

(also yes they will have different super shots)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2013, 07:27:39 pm »

I bet the third weapon involves incredibly weak homing missiles or something. :D
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2013, 07:57:54 pm »

A SHOOK GALAGA GAEM
YES DIS IS GUD
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2013, 07:12:06 pm »

RADICAL YES WEEEEEEEEE

I bet the third weapon involves incredibly weak homing missiles or something. :D
Close! I am definitely thinking rockets, but not homing ones, since automated homing would probably just interfere with gameplay. And rather than being incredibly weak, i'm thinking they should be few and strong, with possible AoE to boot. Piercing shots would obviously be excluded from rockets (unless... SHAPED CHARGES IN SPACE), but they'd get some other equally powerful benefit instead (such as the mentioned AoE, or a boost to it).

What i am also thinking, however, is a FOURTH weapon, good old machine guns! Weak bullets, but fast rate of fire. Their special property would probably be something like ricochetting, except with a bias towards the nearest enemy, so it's more likely to hit multiple targets than just straight piercing. (but it still causes the same kind of damage)
And speaking of that, i've applied a nerf to piercing now, since it was hideously powerful before (practically a flat damage multiplier against multiple targets). Now it deals reduced damage for each enemy pierced, which at the moment means 50% damage to the second target, and 33% to the potential third target (wink wink). Still a powerful property, but not QUITE as much of a game breaker, since the potential damage has been reduced from 300% to 183% (which, mind you, is still a LOT). Yes, that means the final upgrade for the default lasers will be a piercing upgrade.

ALSO, the beam is working excellently now, and i've made a script that makes it far more easy to add more shot types, so with some luck things might speed up from here. Still need to finish up the third boss, but i think Chartle is up for that challenge once i get off my ass and sprite the rest of the things. (note to self: discuss more things with Chartle before randomly blurting them out)
What i personally also like about the beams is that they have a special piercing mechanic. On the rocks, they will only hit multiple enemies if you deal more damage than they have health, so if you say hit a Wedge (first enemy you meet) with a 30 damage beam, its 20 health will be subtracted from the beams power (and the Wedge will die horribly, ruining any chances of going home and being a family man), and the remaining 10 damage will continue through and potentially hit a second target. HOWEVER! With piercing upgrades, the amount of power subtracted from the beam will be reduced by an amount proportional to the level of piercing, which means that you can potentially shoot through squishy ships without destroying them, and hurting subsequent ships more. Example:

Your beam deals 15 damage, and you have level 2 piercing (beams start at 1). You shoot at a Wedge. The Wedge, having 20 health, does not die, but the beam only loses [20 health/2 piercing = 10 power] from its pool, meaning that 5 damage will continue on to the next ship. This means that, in theory, a 15 damage beam with level 3 piercing could hit 3 wedges at once, although the third one wouldn't take much damage.
Now obviously, this works much better with powerful shots, so the beam weapons are probably the hardest hitting of the lot, but also the slowest firing. To make up for that, i'm going to need some seriously sweet effects to take the players mind off of the lessened dakka.

Also yes, all weapons will be affected by spread shot, so you can have a delicious fan of piercing beams, or a raging storm of machine gun fire, or a rocket clusterfuck, or whatever. Or maybe two of those at once, because i've been thinking about making it possible to choose weapons for turret and front guns separately, since that'd be pretty rad, and also entirely possible since all variables about turret and front are already separate things. Customization is a good thing, you know?

now to get beams working on the fucking reflectors, augh

also possibly some menu additions for the coming goodness AUGH
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Chartle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2013, 02:36:41 pm »

Don't mind me, just passing through.

OR AM I?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2013, 03:56:48 pm »

And on that note...

They all have their own super shots too. ;o
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2013, 04:50:10 pm »

I just found this...and I. Must. Have. It.

Whoa.

I cannot wait for the updoot!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:39:46 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26