Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 57118 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Angry Laser Space - a WIP game by yers truly
« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2014, 10:10:28 pm »

Yes indeed, this is some good stuff and a little wait never hurt anyone.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2014, 09:10:08 am »

Oh hey Chartle, fancy seeing you here again! I was going to ask you how things were going, but then HEY PRESTO things seem to be working. Excellent. c:
Also, the fine chap will also be responsible for the stages 16 and 17, and obviously the options menu, which i more or less just have to sprite up. Good thing i said Q1 2014 instead of January, eh wot. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2014, 04:27:45 pm »

hey

hey guys

you know how i said Q1 right?

well it's true

because TODAY

IS THE DAY

WHERE

YOU

GET

v0.9

Changelog:
- Added fancy new start menu with loadsa buttons
- Added three new weapon types to be freely mixed with the pulse lasers
- Added options menu with questionable developer graphics (so it's not done visually), just click the fancy wrench icon!
- Made it possible to actually change various options, so that the aforementioned menu isn't useless
- Added fancy dynamic game speed adjustment to prevent slowdowns (can be disabled in Config.ini if you enjoy the slowdowns)
- Added levels 15-19
- Levels are now actually called stages to prevent confusion with experience levels
- Added the last tier of shop upgrades
- Added new fancy explosions for the enemies
- Added some new effects for the players shots as well (although the super shot effects are terrible)
- Added fancy glow effects for all energetic shots
- Mysteriously changed the Arial font in game by unknown forces
- Made a new sprite for the player ship
- Probably also some other things and tweaks i can't remember right now

you can download it here

Also if for some reason you don't get music, it's likely because it's set to 0 in the options even though i think i fixed that. If you don't get ANY sounds at all, please do mention it, because Sebastian isn't getting any sounds either. :c

Oh yeah also, if you feel like a cool person, we have a fancy new donation button.

;o
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:09:18 am by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2014, 05:33:18 pm »

So I decided to give the new weapons a try and picked lasers, but when I clicked the button for turret lasers, the pulse turret button stayed pressed. It went away after I clicked other stuff, and I can't recreate it, but I guess it's still worth reporting because I have too much time on my hands.

E: Game crashed after buying the damage upgrade for the turret after Stage 3.

E: The fuck did you to with Stage 10 boss D:

E: So here's my evaluation of the new weapons.

Laser: Now we're talking! Actual beam weapons! They've got a slower firing rate than pulse, but do more damage in return. Nice, but early game where everything would die from two hits (i.e. one shot from the main cannons) anyway, this results in slower killing. Since there's no projectiles to speak of, the speed upgrade becomes much less valuable, which is a shame. At least it makes aiming much easier, especially when sniping those damn turrets with a super.

Bullet: Because you can never have enuff dakka. High firing rate, offset by low damage. I like that, as it means less wasted damage overall. The turret super is less useful for sniping due to a lack of piercing, but the spread makes it easier to kill enemy clusters, which you'll find more of than enemies that are conveniently placed in a neat line. This also means you get to cut a wider path through barricades, reducing the risk of collision damage. Also, the sound of firing both bullet weapons at the same time is grating.

Rocket: Slow speed, relatively high damage. Possibly ideal for bosskilling (not that I'd know. Stage 5 boss is pathetic and Stage 10 too stronk). Much like the bullets, the supers focus on splash damage than piercing. They still work very differently. Bullet supers are shot with a spread, increading the likelyhood of murderdeath. Rockets don't actually explode until they hit something - which, for me, has happened less than half the time, usually because a normal rocket has killed the enemy before the super gets there.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:15:32 pm by Darvi »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 11, 2014, 08:32:00 pm »

Wooooooooo! Downloading nooooow!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 11, 2014, 08:38:17 pm »

:D
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 11, 2014, 08:40:58 pm »

Holy crap the last stage.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2014, 01:27:05 am »

I have a video up with me showing off the new weapons a little along with some of me playing a bit. I don't know if I will do more videos of the game but if you(Shook) want me to make a video of anything in particular I might be able to help.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2014, 01:50:26 am »

I hit an enemy with a powershot missile in the first level.

The game crashed.

Edit: IT KEEPS HAPPENING
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:15:16 am by Elephant Parade »

Chartle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 12, 2014, 06:49:08 am »

So I decided to give the new weapons a try and picked lasers, but when I clicked the button for turret lasers, the pulse turret button stayed pressed. It went away after I clicked other stuff, and I can't recreate it, but I guess it's still worth reporting because I have too much time on my hands.

The first thing happens if you click a button, and then drag the mouse away, it's to do with how the button sprites are handled.

I can't recreate the crashing bug, so I'm not sure if/how we can fix that.

I hit an enemy with a powershot missile in the first level.

The game crashed.

Edit: IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Same goes for this :c

Is there anything in particular that sets it off (i.e. a certain group of enemies, etc)?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2014, 07:13:53 am »

Oh man, them unexplainable bugs. I have never had the game crash on me like that. :c

I have a video up with me showing off the new weapons a little along with some of me playing a bit. I don't know if I will do more videos of the game but if you(Shook) want me to make a video of anything in particular I might be able to help.
Excellent, i like what i see so far! What i also noticed is that i forgot to fix the players shots not adjusting their speed on the run, so it could seem like we'll need a hotfix in the very near future.

Holy crap the last stage.
Inorite. ;o

Did it give you any particular message? Does it do that every time? It doesn't happen to me or Chartle, to my knowledge. :/

E: The fuck did you to with Stage 10 boss D:
Gave it a second mode of firing. ;o
I'm thinking we might switch the two around though, because the big lasers aren't very dramatic to begin with.

E: So here's my evaluation of the new weapons.

Laser: Now we're talking! Actual beam weapons! They've got a slower firing rate than pulse, but do more damage in return. Nice, but early game where everything would die from two hits (i.e. one shot from the main cannons) anyway, this results in slower killing. Since there's no projectiles to speak of, the speed upgrade becomes much less valuable, which is a shame. At least it makes aiming much easier, especially when sniping those damn turrets with a super.
In the first level it kills as quickly as the pulse guns, but yeah, if you pick the gatling upgrade before getting some damage on, your kill rate falls. If you buy damage and pick the first upgrade in the offense ladder before or at the same time as gatling, then it becomes less of an issue. I did wonder what to do with the speed upgrade, but i figured that since the beams already are hitscan, they don't need a substitute there. :v
I also have a sneaking feeling that the super beam can pierce more enemies than intended, perhaps a side effect of the piercing upgrades. Perhaps we should also carry that over to the regular supers. ;o

Bullet: Because you can never have enuff dakka. High firing rate, offset by low damage. I like that, as it means less wasted damage overall. The turret super is less useful for sniping due to a lack of piercing, but the spread makes it easier to kill enemy clusters, which you'll find more of than enemies that are conveniently placed in a neat line. This also means you get to cut a wider path through barricades, reducing the risk of collision damage. Also, the sound of firing both bullet weapons at the same time is grating.
Yes, the sound is annoying as fuck, i'll see if i can't tweak that. I admit that i was a bit worried about the super though, namely because it isn't useful for sniping, but if you get spread super upgrade, the front super is a glorious clusterfuck without equal.

Rocket: Slow speed, relatively high damage. Possibly ideal for bosskilling (not that I'd know. Stage 5 boss is pathetic and Stage 10 too stronk). Much like the bullets, the supers focus on splash damage than piercing. They still work very differently. Bullet supers are shot with a spread, increading the likelyhood of murderdeath. Rockets don't actually explode until they hit something - which, for me, has happened less than half the time, usually because a normal rocket has killed the enemy before the super gets there.
Actually, the rocket super itself has a damage pool to deal out before it explodes, i think it's two times the relevant guns power. If the enemy has less health than the super rocket has damage, then it's just flat out smashed through. I made it so because it allows you to hit deeper into an enemy formation, allowing you to kill/damage a larger part of an enemy formation. It is a bit inconvenient for a single row of enemies, but later on, most enemies will make it explode directly. I think rocket super is actually comparatively underpowered in the late game, because the enemies will quickly have enough health to survive the blast.

I'm thinking that to balance the rockets better, the splash damage of the normal rockets (with upgrades) should also affect the directly hit enemy, while the super rocket just plain needs to explode harder. I'm not sure about the piercing though, but i suppose one thing i could do is to make it not pierce, but move the explosions origin forward to the tip of the rocket. Either that, or not change it at all.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2014, 09:13:01 am »

HOTFIX TIME!

Changelog:
- Fixed player shots not flying at the same speed at all times (sorry you had to experience this foible in your video, Akhier)
- Made machine gun sound less grating (HAPPY DARV?)
- Buffed rockets somewhat (both normal and super), should be more viable for late game play now

get it fresh out of the oven yo
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Angry Laser Space - Now v0.9! (a game by Shook and Chartle)
« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2014, 09:57:52 am »

(YOU KNOW THAT I AM A PERPETUALLY MISERABLE BASTARD)

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2014, 10:08:25 am »

This looks pretty cool. I will come back to look at it a bit more later.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2014, 12:45:06 pm »

Error report: The octagon things or at least the green ones are not actually shooting their lasers. The lasers glow comes at you but doesn't do any damage and the laser shot itself is staying on the thing and if you run into that you take the damage then.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26